Miss Marple's Final Cases by Agatha Christie

Miss Marple's Final Cases (original 1979; edition 1980)

by Agatha Christie

Member:andejons
Title:Miss Marple's Final Cases
Authors:Agatha Christie (Author)
Info:Fontana (1980), Paperback, 160 pages
Collections:Ägda, Your library, Hemhemma, Bra omslag, Läst 2003-2007, Läst 2012, Omätt, Ovägt
Rating:***1/2
Tags:brittisk litteratur, deckare, skönlitteratur, miss Marple, samling, mord, stöld, spökhistorier

Miss Marple's Final Cases by Agatha Christie (1979)

Recently added byLarsTH, echoindarkness, ariaflame, private library, QueenOfCrime

English (8)  Swedish (1)  All languages (9)
Synopsis/blurb...........

Presented in this collection are: the man found dying in the church sanctuary; the puzzle of Uncle Henry's hidden legacy; the question of the murder with the tape-measure; the curious conduct of the caretaker; the case of Miss Skinner's maid and the baffling mystery of the stabbing of Mrs Rhodes.

---------------------
My take........

Well after maybe a 35 year hiatus between my last reading of the venerable Dame of Crime Fiction, I thought it was time to head back down to St Mary Mead and see what all the fuss was about.

The easiest option for me was to have a crack at a few of her Miss Marple short stories and having picked up this charity shop bargain for the humungous sum of 25p when out and about with my wife and youngest daughter on Monday, I decided to bump the dame off.......sorry, bump her up the queue and get started.

6 stories – 142 pages – 2-3 hours reading time.

Well I can add another female author to the tally and possibly can tick a box on my silver bingo card for my Vintage Mystery challenge, I will check later. Two bonus plusses.

Verdict......well I didn't manage to guess the culprit or guilty party or unravel the mystery in any of the tales before the big reveal, so that was good. And AC can certainly paint a vivid picture for you of her characters; in this particular instance a bed-bound spinster.........with a good deal of greyish-yellow hair untidily wound around her head and erupting into curls, the whole thing looked like a bird’s nest of which no self-respecting bird could be proud. So another tick there. Thirdly, most of the stories engaged me and had me speeding along to the end, so I can’t in all honesty feign indifference.

I think what struck me was how unsympathetic most of her victims and villains all appeared to be. In the case of the hidden legacy, I didn't like old Uncle Henry’s beneficiaries and was half hoping that Miss Marple was unable (or perhaps more entertainingly) unwilling to solve the riddle and therefore deprive the horrible, vile rats of their inheritance. I guess Marple though couldn't possibly dare to fail. There’s something a little bit unappealing to me about someone who has to be shown to be the cleverest person in the room, all the time. She might just be a little too smug and self-satisfied for me to tolerate too much of her. Time will tell; maybe a longer exposure to our elderly spinster’s charms will seduce me and have me swooning helplessly in admiration? The 4.50 from Paddington may seal the deal! I’m prepared to be wooed.

Last observation, I’m unsure when these were originally written – this collection was originally published in 1979, but there are probably too many servants and mistresses, or gentry-types and underlings for me to want to spend too much time in their company. A bit too dated, a bit too Upstairs-Downstairs, a bit too class conscious and a bit too genteel for me. Each to their own, but I will probably not read too many of her other books.

Anyway I must dash......tea and scone time in the drawing room, nanny’s just rung the bell.......... yummy – so toodle pips!

3 from 5

I bought my copy second-hand recently. ( )
  col2910 | Apr 17, 2014 |
8 short stories, the first 6 of which are classic Miss Marple. Very enjoyable! The last two are slightly eerie and don't feature Miss Marple at all. ( )
  Figgles | Jun 20, 2010 |
one word : SUPERB
  michellnaki | Jun 10, 2010 |
Short stories ( )
  bookswamp | Apr 18, 2010 |
An anthology of short stories published many years before they were collected. Furthermore, two of the eight stories are tales of the supernatural, which have nothing to do with Miss Marple so the whole package is misleading. Despite these reservations, it makes a diverting read. ( )
  TheoClarke | Oct 29, 2009 |

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blair, IslaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hickson, JoanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Massey, AnnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The vicar's wife came around the corner of the vicarage with her arms full of chrysanthemums.
Miss Marples final cases:
Sanctuary, A Strange Jest, The Tape-Measure Murder, The Case of the Caretaker, The Case of the Perfect Maid, Miss Marple Tells a Story, The Dressmaker's Doll, In a Glass Darkly

A collection of Miss Marple mysteries, plus some bonus short stories...First, the mystery man in the church with a bullet-wound...then, the riddle of a dead man's buried treasure...the curious conduct oif a caretaker after a fatal riding accident...the corpse and a tape-measure...the girl framed for theft...and the suspect accused of stabbing his wife with a dagger. Six gripping cases with one thing in common - the astonishing deductive powers of Miss Marple. Also includes two non-Marple mysteries, 'The Dressmaker's Doll' and 'In a Glass Darkly'.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:49 -0400)

The gripping cases that comprise this collection have one thing in common - the astonishing deductive powers of Miss Marple. The collection also includes two non-Miss Marple mysteries.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,503,492 books! | Top bar: Always visible