The Decibel Diaries: A Journey through Rock…

The Decibel Diaries: A Journey through Rock in 50 Concerts

by Carter Alan

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Part music history, part biography, The Decibel Diaries describes music writer Carter Alan’s forty-plus years attending concerts. At the forefront, Alan tells the stories about the circumstances leading to his attending each concert, but underneath each story is a time capsule of what the musician or band meant to him at that point in his life. The excitement and enjoyment he gets out of each story is evident. Carter Alan loves music, and as you follow him along his concert-going life, you will love it too.

I am not ashamed to admit I created a Spotify playlist as I went along with the book. It is not a bad idea to follow along with the stories. I was familiar with most, if not all of the musicians, but it was still nice to pair the reading with the same tones. Obviously, Alan has spent decades analyzing music; the reader can hear the sounds develop just as Alan writes about them.

The next time a patron looking for a suggestion mentions they enjoy rock music, it will be easy to point them to this book. If the reader is unfamiliar with or just does not care for a band, there will be a new profile after just a few pages. While the bands listed may be “too old” (read: classic) to appeal to a young person or “too popular” (read: mainstream) to appeal to an indie person, there is definitely enough here to satisfy almost anyone with an appreciation of music. ( )
  wooleyj | May 26, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A very fun read through rock history! A lot of my favorite bands aren't mentioned, but it's still a fun read through rock history and a great way to discover new songs with the suggest songs at the beginning of each chapter ( )
  mike1990 | May 22, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
What a fun, rollicking read! Carter Alan has basically written a memoir/concert review history of the last 40 years of rock n roll. I can't tell you how many memories this stirred up for me of my own concert experiences even though I've been to far fewer than Alan. From his very first to 2015 Alan writes like a true fan rather than a smarmy rock critic who only likes things no one has heard of even if it's crap. Excellent, good time read! ( )
  zimbawilson | May 15, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have tried to read this book several times, but it's too dry and, dare I say, boring for me.

I received it through LT for my honest review. ( )
  croknot1 | May 12, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A fairly interesting read. The 50 concerts touch on classic rock acts, metal rock acts, punk rock acts. The only thing lacking was any R&B/Soul concerts. The author relates all of his concert experiences to the importance of them in the history of the artists tours. ( )
  bjkelley | May 7, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Carter Alan's book The Decibel Diaries: A Journey through Rock in 50 Concerts is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,471,392 books! | Top bar: Always visible