The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding by…

The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding (original 1960; edition 1980)

by Agatha Christie (Author)

715None13,122 (3.5)35
Member:andejons
Title:The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding
Authors:Agatha Christie (Author)
Info:Fontana (1980), Paperback
Collections:Ägda, Your library, Hemhemma, Bra omslag, Läst 2003-2007, Läst 2012, Omätt, Ovägt
Rating:***1/2
Tags:brittisk litteratur, deckare, skönlitteratur, Hercule Poirot, samling, jul, Miss Marple, mord, stöld

The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding by Agatha Christie (1960)

Recently added bywakkobr, LiberStudiosus, Danielle.Gray, Harry_Vincent, EdJWebb, private library, aarts, Dnaej

English (8)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (12)
Annual fave Agatha Christmas read. Love the English atmosphere and detailed settings of AC mysteries and this one always adds to my Christmas tradition reading enjoyment! ( )
  FHC | Jun 13, 2013 |
"But Lady Chatterton was one of the brightest jewels in what Poirot called le haut monde. Everything she did or said was news. She had brains, beauty, originality and enough vitality to activate a rocket to the moon."

This is the first Agatha Christie I've read since I was about 14; a collection of 5 Poirot short stories and one Miss Marple investigation as well. Poirot investigates a sinister note about a plum pudding, the discovery of a jealous husband in a chest, an overheard quarrel leading to murder, the mysterious changes in a dead man's eating habits, and a victim who dreamt of his own suicide. Miss Marple tags along for an investigation at Greenshaw's Folly.

As much as I loved the character of Poirot, the way he is a bit snobbish, a bit difficult, but generally is warm-hearted and lovable, I found his ability to solve a crime with clues which weren't passed onto the reader a bit frustrating.

And Miss Marple? I've never read any of hers (although I'm currently listening to an audiobook in which she stars) but she hardly seemed to take part in her own mystery! She let everyone work themselves all up and then suddenly everyone turned to her and she showed them the solution. A beautiful solution it was too, and I think that's why Christie is as famous as she is - the puzzles she sets are often simple and neat if you know the right way in.

I'm struggling to review this one. This was a pleasant enough read, each story engrossing and tightly told. Excellent airport reading. ( )
  readingwithtea | Jan 5, 2013 |
6 short stories (5 with Poirot, 1 with Marple) and most of which are well known. Didnt know Greenshaw's Folly or The Under Dog so they were new to me. First published in 1963, Poirot is getting old and tired, but it's still a while before the end of "Curtain".

The stories are short, and I think that some were perhaps a little too short - the denouement came too quickly and I wasnt necessarily convinced
  nordie | Dec 31, 2012 |
This book is a collection of several Hercule Poirot short stories. There was also a Miss Marple short story, called Greenshaw's Folly, included in the edition I have. The stories were interesting, but I feel that they lacked the character development that I enjoy in Christie's full length novels. ( )
  mauveberry | May 24, 2010 |
I found this mystery quite funny and enjoyable. I love the idea that the kids were going to pull a prank of Poirot. I also like the description of the characters throughout the Christmas Dinner.
  chibiju | Mar 26, 2010 |
Hercule Poirot gave the house a steady appraising glance.

Hercule Poirot is summoned by letter to the house of Benedict Farley, very wealthy man. The butler escorts him to an office where Poirot is forced to prove his identity to the suspicious man. Finally, he tells Poirot that he has a recurring, very detailed dream in which he kills himself. Poirot determines that he cannot be of assistance, until after the police call him in when Farley is dead in the exact circumstances of the dream.

In: Agatha Christie, Regatta Mystery and Other Stories (New York : Berkeley Books, 1984), pp. 145-178.

First US publication: October 23, 1937 (Volume 210, Number 17) issue of The Saturday Evening Post with illustrations by F. R. Gruger. Wikipedia page

Agatha Christie's seasonal Poirot and Marple short story collection, reissued with a striking new cover designed to appeal to the latest generation of Agatha Christie fans and book lovers. First came a sinister warning to Poirot not to eat any plum pudding! then the discovery of a corpse in a chest! next, an overheard quarrel that led to murder! the strange case of the dead man who altered his eating habits! and the puzzle of the victim who dreamt his own suicide. What links these five baffling cases? The little grey cells of Monsieur Hercule Poirot!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:24 -0400)

Poirot agrees to expose himself to the rigours of a traditional English Christmas in order to recover a priceless ruby stolen from a young Indian Prince by his former girlfriend. The ruby is returned to the Prince, thus averting a national scandal.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,504,165 books! | Top bar: Always visible