The Big Four by Agatha Christie

The Big Four (1927)

by Agatha Christie, Agatha Christie (Author)

Series: Hercule Poirot Mystery (5)

Destination Unknown by Agatha Christie (Ludi_Ling)
    Ludi_Ling: Some 30 years may separate them, but both feature the same slightly inane global conspiracy theory plot.

English (45)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All (48)
I liked this, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the other books in the series so far. It seemed somewhat uneven, or maybe I was thrown by the seeming discrepancies in the series timeline. I'm on to the next book in the series, though, because Christie is masterful and I enjoy Poirot. ( )
  ReinaMWilliams | Mar 31, 2017 |
Poirot takes on the world's greatest criminals and wins. Whoopee.

This was just too ridiculous. I don't think I'll be reading any more Poirot novels. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Just as Poirot is about to leave for South America (and Hastings arrives from South America,) a man wanders into Poirot's office/apartment deliriously muttering something about "The Big Four"... International intrigue and homicides notwithstanding, absolutely ridiculous plot and characters. It's hard to believe that this came from the same author who gave is, 'The Murder of Roger Ackroyd'! ( )
  Tanya-dogearedcopy | Aug 21, 2016 |
I am a huge Agatha Christie fan and I absolutely adore Hercule Poirot, but this book fell flat for me. It seemed that Dame Agatha tried too much with this one. There were so many conspiracies going on and so many plot twists, that Hastings wasn't the only clueless person around. Plus all of the times that Poirot foiled the plots of the Big Four, but did not manage to capture them, made the story appear to drag on forever. However, it IS Agatha Christie and it IS Hercule Poirot, so I still enjoyed it nonetheless. ( )
1 vote jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
The Big Four - Agatha Christie
audio performance by Hugh Fraser
4 stars

This is the fifth book in the Poirot series. It is a series of linked short stories which revolve around Poirot’s quest to thwart an international crime syndicate known as the Big Four. Much of it borders on the ridiculous, a bit of comic book crime fighting. Colonel Hastings has returned to England from his South American ranch for a very extended visit with his old friend Poirot. (Apparently his wife does not miss him.) This allows Hastings to chronicle all the events while he plays the comedic Watson to Poirot’s all knowing Sherlock. Lots of exaggerated stereotypes in this one; a millionaire American crime boss, a corrupt female nuclear scientist, and a Chinese criminal mastermind. The best bit was Poirot’s twin brother, Achille. I love Hugh Fraser’s delivery of these books. They are always pleasant to listen to, although this one wasn’t up to Christie’s usual standard of mystery and suspense.

msjudy | May 30, 2016 |

Agatha Christieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Christie, AgathaAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Adams, TomCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Laine, Anna-LiisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have met people who enjoy a channel crossing; men who can sit calmly in their deck-chairs and, on arrival, wait until the boat is moored, then gather their belongings together without fuss and disembark.

Alone, each was formidable. Together, they were virtually invincible. The Big Four -

a brilliant Chinese man,
an American Millionaire,
a French woman scientists and
an elusive maser of disguise -
a criminal conspiracy with diabolical designs.

Even the indomitable Hercule Poirot is appalled as he follows a trail of murders in what could very well prove to be his final case.
    ------------------------------

"No, no; rearrange your ideas, mon ami," Poirot said. "Exercise your little gray cells. You are Mayerling. You hear something, perhaps - and you know well enough that your doom is sealed. You have just time to leave a sign.
Four o'clock, Hastings. Number Four, the destroyer ....

An emaciated stranger approaches Hercule Poirot, shouts a warning about "the big four" and drops dead. Who knew Poirot's inquiry into the man's odd behavior would lead to an underground laboratory, an insane asylum, and rumors of a secret weapon?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:35 -0400)

They are formidable enemies in their own rights: a French scientist, an American millionaire, a brilliant Chinese gentleman, and a master of disguise. But together they are the Big Four, a partnership with one simple goal, murder. Hercule Poirot has never come up against an opponent so vicious, or so deadly.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,373,142 books! | Top bar: Always visible