The White Dragon by Anne McCaffrey

The White Dragon (1978)

by Anne McCaffrey

4,591331,045 (4)97

English (31)  Dutch (1)  Czech (1)  All languages (33)
"Get on the dragon wagon" was the marketing slogan when this was released in paperback back in 1979 so I hopped on and have enjoyed the ride since. This is the final book in the first Pern trilogy (several additional books have been released since which continue the story) and tells the story of Lord Jaxom of Ruatha and his impression of the white dragon, Ruth.

This is, as with many McCaffrey novels, an extremely fun read. I have re-visited Pern many times since the original read and it hasn't lost its luster yet.

I can recommend this to any fantasy fan and especially those who enjoy her storytelling. ( )
  ConalO | Sep 21, 2014 |
Okay this is the final book I have read in my recent Pern binge. Definetly one of the best books in the series, though it may be a bit confusing as a first read as it requires a knowledge of the personalities of the major players on Pern.

Anne McCaffrey has written some great scenes into the story. I particular love reading as Jaxom develops from a boy into a man and into his role as Lord of Ruatha. ( )
  alsocass | Oct 12, 2013 |
Absolutely loved the first three books in this series. ( )
  Ameliapei | Apr 18, 2013 |
I didn't like this book as much. I found Jaxom pretty whiny. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |

Anne McCaffreyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Roe, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has as a reference guide/companion

This book is irreverently dedicated
to my brothers
Hugh and Kevin
for sibling rivalries, and
the mature affections and loyalties that
develop from early brawling!
"If he isn't clean enough now," Jaxom told N'ton as he gave Ruth's neck ridge a final swipe with the oiled cloth, "I don't know what clean is!"

THE LITTLE DRAGON THAT COULD

A ribbon of fire sliced through Jaxom's cheek, his right shoulder through the wherhide tunic, his forearm, his thigh. He felt, rather than heard, Ruth's bellow of pain.
   They came out of between above the little mountain lake. Ruth whimpering with the pain in his foot and leg. All he anted was to cool that Threadfire. Jaxom leaped from Ruth's neck and splashed water on his hide.
   That was better.
  We'll be much better at it next time," Ruth assured Jaxom. "I'm faster than any of the big dragons. I can turn on my tail and go between in a single length from the ground."
   Jaxom told Ruth fervently that he was without doubt the best, fastest, cleverest beast in all Pern. Ruth's green eyes whirled with pleasure. He was ready for any danger that might come.
----------------------------------------

Never had there been as close a bonding as the one that existed between the daring and adventurous young Lord Jaxom and his extraordinary white dragon, Ruth.
   Pure white and incredibly agile, Ruth was a dragon of many talents, though almost everyone on Pern thought he was a runt that would never amount to anything.
   But Jaxom knew better, knew he could teach his dragon to fly and to destroy thee deadly silver Threads that fell from the sky.
   Disobeying all the rules, Jaxom and Ruth trained in secret. their illicit flights seemed but a minor disobedience  until they found themselves in the path of danger and in a position to prevent the biggest disaster of all!
Third book in series

where a boy and his dragon

find their place in life.

(Rozax)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345341678, Mass Market Paperback)

The third volume in a series of adventures in the land of Pern.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:12 -0400)

Tired of his boring life, Lord Jaxom decides to secretly train his extraordinary dragon to take part in the desperate battles of dragons and their riders against the Threadfall that periodically threatens their planet.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,387,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible