The White Dragon (Dragonriders of Pern Vol…
Member:Deelightful
Title:The White Dragon (Dragonriders of Pern Vol 3)
Authors:Anne McCaffrey (Author)
Info:Del Rey (1986), 468 pages
Tags:science fiction

The White Dragon by Anne McCaffrey (1978)

English (40)  Dutch (2)  Czech (1)  All languages (43)
He's just an overgrown fire lizard!

He'll never be a real dragon!

The white dragon Ruth was never supposed to survive. Small for his size and stuck in his egg, Lord Jaxom saved his life. Now the young boy who isn't quite a Lord Holder, and the dragon who never should have lived have a life time bond. While Ruth pays no mind to the insults thrown his way, Jaxom is determined to prove his friend is just as good as the great bronzes.

The first half of this novel I have to admit dragged on. It mostly focused on Jaxom and Ruth exploring their capabilities as dragon and rider, which was entertaining, but there wasn't a huge amount of conflict. A few political spats from the Lord Holders and the familiar threat of thread, but aside from that not much happens until the exiled Southern Riders decide to meddle in the affairs of the North.

The Southern riders are old and dying. We've known this since book two. Exiled due to their greed and treatment of Pern, they have been a long overdue thorn that has decided to burrow in deeper. The hot headed and egotistical T'ron chooses to commit a heinous crime that nearly sets dragon upon dragon. This is the first conflict we see, where Jaxom and Ruth begin to prove themselves and is a turning point for the plot.

The Northern riders begin expansion into the Southern Continent, far away from the Southern Weyr so as to avoid further conflict and in search of a lost rider. Jaxom and Ruth soon stumble upon fire lizards who can give the riders clues to their mysterious ancestors and a curious ability only Ruth can use. As the Northerners begin to dig into the past that surrounds them, the bits and pieces they uncover start to unravel the mysteries surrounding the ancestors.

I do wish the two stories, that of Jaxom and Ruth's realization of their self worth and the expansion of the Southern Continent had been split into separate books. I don't feel like Jaxom and Ruth went through enough trials to become who they are by the end of the book. It was more like they overcame school yard bullying than anything else, which in itself should be rewarding, but it fell flat.

I am also not one to enjoy politics, even if they are fictional. The plot structure could have also used work, as it sometimes jumped to a person's POV that was summing up what happened in the previous novels and the current one. None of this summary was needed and interrupted the storyline.

I'm not willing to give up on Pern just yet. I do want to know more about the ancestors and if the current inhabitants of Pern can deconstruct and figure out all that has been left behind. I also know there are a few books that take place during the original trilogy and I would be interested to know what has been happening in the other Weyrs. ( )
  Letora | Jan 16, 2019 |
This series is a great read. Jaxom and Ruth steal our hearts as they grow up. ( )
  kbartosh | Mar 27, 2018 |
I can't even count how many times I've read this book... but I do know I recently had to buy a new copy because the old one was falling apart. Such a classic. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | Jan 25, 2018 |
a young holder lord impresses a runt dragon. The southern continent is shown to be HUGE and the northerners want it opened up for their landless children. F'lar wants the best of the continent for dragonmen so they won't be beholden to the holds once threadfall passes. Everything works out and it is discovered that man is not indigenous to Pern.

This was a good wrap up to the original trilogy, BUT, McCaffrey rushes forward so quickly that you can see the world going from Dragons and Fantasy to Science Fiction. and I think that is why her later books are weaker. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
A runt should never be underestimated. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |

Langeveld, KarinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reß-Bohusch, BirgitTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has as a reference guide/companion

This book is irreverently dedicated
to my brothers
Hugh and Kevin
for sibling rivalries, and
the mature affections and loyalties that
develop from early brawling!
"If he isn't clean enough now," Jaxom told N'ton as he gave Ruth's neck ridge a final swipe with the oiled cloth, "I don't know what clean is!"

Third book in series

where a boy and his dragon

find their place in life.

(Rozax)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345341678, Mass Market Paperback)

The third volume in a series of adventures in the land of Pern.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:47 -0400)

Tired of his boring life, Lord Jaxom decides to secretly train his extraordinary dragon to take part in the desperate battles of dragons and their riders against the Threadfall that periodically threatens their planet.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,557,845 books! | Top bar: Always visible