Dear Martin by Nic Stone

Dear Martin (2017)

by Nic Stone

Writing letters to the late Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., seventeen-year-old college-bound Justyce McAllister struggles to face the reality of race relations today and how they are shaping him.

A small book with a big punch. Racism, privilege, racial profiling, coming of age, this book has it all. ( )
  bookswithmom | Dec 18, 2019 |
FAN-FREAKING -TASTIC!! Nic Stone makes you think about how we judge others by their skin color before knowing them and how we need to change that. Dear Martin is told from the perspective of an African-American prep school student, Justyce, who is on track to attend an Iv League university. He has a perfect SAT and ACT score and he works incredibly hard, but one night when he is keeping a friend from drunk driving, he is arrested and accused of trying to break into a car. This changes everything for Jus. He begins writing letters to MLK, Jr trying to understand his teachings. As the story progresses, he focuses more and more on how others see him and how he is judged by his skin color. He is caught in the crosshairs when gun shots are fired and he becomes a part of something much bigger than himself.

I LOOVEDDD IT! The prose switches from regular prose to cscript form during conversations, so there is no "fluff," and the reader gets the full impact of those conversations.

Watch my vlog review at: bit.lt/dearmartinlispyreview ( )
  lispylibrarian | Dec 11, 2019 |
It Was Awesome! ( )
  marthasbusylife | Sep 12, 2019 |
Dear Martin was an incredibly difficult book to read.

It’s a really short book, just over 200 pages, and every sentence is jam packed with reality. Honestly? It’s difficult to stomach. It’s supposed to be. Dear Martin is a book that makes you cringe because just about everyone in this book is racist. And before I go too deep here, I’m going to step back and say that I am a white girl living in Massachusetts and I have no idea the struggles young black man go through, especially in the American South. I am super privileged and I stand back and acknowledge that, and I’m grateful for it. I cannot imagine the daily trials from someone like Justyce.

Dear Martin tries to show some of those trials, so when you read this book… be prepared to be uncomfortable. It’s difficult to read. There are very few subtle acts of racism in this novel. From a classmate dressing up as a KKK member for Halloween to racially-charged murder, the events in Dear Martin may feel outrageous… but for some… for two many… this is just daily life. I’m grateful not to have witnessed anything like this myself, but a.) I am not a young black man; and b.) I don’t live in Georgia or one of the Southern States, which have always been more racially heated. After some of the news stories I’ve watched in the last two and a half years… I am becoming disillusioned about about the possibility of these things.

So that’s the content of Dear Martin, in a nutshell. Justyce is a young man just trying to be himself and live his life. In the first few pages,we see a young man trying to help his drunk friend get home safely turn quickly into a scene of racial profiling and wrongful arrest. This book is a good fit for those who enjoyed The Hate U Give and wanted to learn more. I don’t think anyone is going to pick up Dear Martin expecting a feel good book. When I reached the halfway point, I made a list of all the difficult topics I’d encountered so far. Here’s the list:

“Needing” a white savior
substance abuse
!! RACISM !! ( ( )
  Morteana | Jul 5, 2019 |
Excellent YA novel dealing with racism. Very quick read. ( )
  Beth.Clarke | Jun 28, 2019 |
spoiler alert
Dear Martin is a book about police brutality. I think the book is interesting and is a good way to understand how people of color are treated differently by police I recommend this book to other people. The major players are Justyce, SJ, Doctor Dray, and manny. Justyce and SJ are good friends and want to get into a relationship, Doc doesn't like swear words and helps justyce out a lot. Manny is justyce best friend but got murdered by a cop. I would hang out with them in real life because they deem like nice people and cool friends. The Book is great and i would totally recommend it to anyone. I liked this book because it taught me about how people of other skin colors are treated differently today. I have finished the book and loved it. My favorite part is in the end when jared and Justyce meet at their friends grave, Manny who got shot by a cop. They both become better friends. This is weird because they both fight in the book over Jared saying racist things. SJ and Justyce start dating and have a relationship despite justyce getting arrested at the beginning of the book trying to save his ex. I was annoyed that the cop thought Justyce was doeing bad when he was trying to get his ex into the car to take her home. I am happy Jared and Justyce understood each other and became friends.
added by dcrockett | editWsfdz, dcrockett (Dec 19, 2020)

'I believe that umarmed truth
and unconditional love
will have the final word in reality."
—Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Nobel peace prize acceptance speech, December 10, 1964
To K and M. Be your best.
&
To Mr Casey Weeks. Consider this your quietus.
From where he’s standing across the street, Justyce can see her: Melo Taylor, ex-girlfriend, slumped over beside her Benz on the damp concrete of the FarmFresh parking lot.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,345,034 books! | Top bar: Always visible