Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 13: Hobgoblin by…

Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 13: Hobgoblin

by Brian Michael Bendis

Maybe I need to stop reading these for now and just bow to the necessity of dragging them home in my suitcase. They're still fun, and this volume was pretty good -- I got genuinely caught up in the emotion between Peter and Mary Jane, and I was touched and worried for Harry Osborn... but at the same time, these fights keep on happening, it's getting darker and less fun (i.e. needs more digestion time) and the teenage drama between Peter and Mary Jane just keeps on playing out over and over.

Some stuff hasn't even been touched on in a couple of volumes: working at the Daily Bugle, problems with Aunt May, Felicia Hardy (who looks to be coming up in the next one)... I don't know, maybe I better pause while it's still fun, and before I pick it apart. ( )
  shanaqui | Nov 29, 2013 |
What in the heck happened to this series? I really enjoyed the first several trades, but the story line is just dragging along right now. It feels like Bendis is scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to potential plots.

I only read this book a couple of days ago, and I'm having trouble remembering what it was about. Something about Harry Osborn, who is either Harrison or Harold, depending on which page you're reading, being brainwashed by his father to be a sleeper agent of sorts.

The real thing that bothers me is how much of a jerk Peter is to Mary Jane. He goes psycho on her more than once, telling her that she needs to stay away from Harry without explaining. How hard would it be for him to say, "Hey, MJ, stay away from this dude because I think he wants to kill me no matter what act he's putting on now" instead of blowing up at her repeatedly? What a brat. And, of course, it's all MJ's fault, because she's a stupid woman who just won't listen. I've wondered in the past if Bendis has a serious issue with women, and this is only hammering home that idea.

This book adds nothing to the Ultimate line. Even if you're a fan of Ultimate Spidey, you're not missing anything if you skip this trade. ( )
  schatzi | Jan 22, 2011 |
The Osborn family is fruitloopy enough to fill a pallet of breakfast cereal.

Mary Jane Watson is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. When a superhero gives you personal safety advice, it is a good idea to listen.

Hobgoblin gets taken down by Nick Fury and a hulkbuster unit, which makes sense to me, because both he and the Green Goblin in the Ultimate universe look pretty much Abominationish.

http://graphicsf.blogspot.com/2007/01/ultimate-spider-man-13-hobgoblin.html ( )
  bluetyson | Jan 15, 2007 |

It's the terrifying debut of the Ultimate Hobgoblin as Harry Osborn returns to Midtown High harboring a dark secret that will affect the lives of all those around him - especially his best friend, Peter Parker. And where does Harry's father - Norman Osborn, a.k.a. the Green Goblin - fit into all this? Collects Ultimate Spider-Man #72-78.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:20 -0400)

Son of the Goblin! It's the terrifying debut of the Ultimate Hobgoblin as Harry Osborn returns to Midtown High harboring a dark secret that will affect the lives of all those around him - especially his best friend, Peter Parker! And where does Harry's father - Norman Osborn, a.k.a. the Green Goblin - fit into all this?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,118,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible