Al Franken, Giant of the Senate by Al…

Al Franken, Giant of the Senate (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Al Franken (Author)

Member:pbirch01
Title:Al Franken, Giant of the Senate
Authors:Al Franken (Author)
Info:Twelve (2017), Edition: First Edition, 416 pages

Al Franken, Giant of the Senate by Al Franken (2017)

Al Franken, initially most well known for his writing & acting on Saturday Night Live, made an even bigger name for himself when he ran for and won a seat in the U.S. Senate. This book traces back briefly to his growing-up years, his years on SNL, his decision to officially enter politics, and then his role as senator from Minnesota.

I actually didn't realize Franken was an SNL writer. I remember him best for his SNL role as Stuart Smalley in the early 1990's. And I remember being surprised that a well-known comic had run for and successfully won a Senate seat. But I honestly didn't know a while lot about his actual political views or what he accomplished while serving his tenure in the nation's capital, other than that he was a Democrat and people seemed to like him.

The fact is, Al Franken is not only a funny guy, but a very intelligent one as well. While not the first Hollywood presence to enter the political scene, he very well probably was the first comic/satire writer to do so, which was somewhat of a novelty when he won back in 2008. I really enjoyed this memoir, and am very much saddened by the unfortunate allegations that pushed him to resign, which, I suspect, may have been blown somewhat out of proportion. The audiobook is especially enjoyable as it is read by Franken himself. Republicans probably won't like it so much, esp. fans of Ted Cruz.
  indygo88 | Aug 10, 2018 |
Interesting read by the SNL alum, focusing on his decision to run for Senate, his crazy campaign and his feelings about the future of the country under the DT regime.
Franken gives us a few chapters on his early life and career and his time at Saturday Night Live, and the behind the scenes details are fun. The real stuff is the campaign, his motivation for running, how he launched and ran his campaign; the dirty tricks used by his opponent, his lack of support from the Democratic Party and Pres. Obama and more. It just makes you wonder why anyone would put themselves through such an ordeal - you either have to be an egomaniac, a power monger, in the pocket of Big Business, or naive and idealistic. Happily Franken was of the latter vein, although perhaps no longer! Harvard educated and a long time comedy writer Franken can tell the story, make you laugh, and even more important, make you think! ( )
  Rdra1962 | Aug 1, 2018 |
I read this slowly on my Kindle app, starting before Franken resigned from the Senate and finishing it after, and my big takeaway is that I wish he hadn't resigned, because we need him, or someone like him, or many someones like him in government.

The book covers his early years, with a whirlwind tour of his formative years, a few chapters on his comedy career (including some nice behind-the-scenes looks at "Saturday Night Live"), then following with his entry into politics, and finally, his time in the Senate. What I most want is a follow-up that includes his resignation and how he feels about the current state of the US.

The insights into how government works, or doesn't, and his opinions of his fellow senators are worth the price, alone. This is a funny, serious, snarky, wise, and important book. I highly recommend it. ( )
  ShellyS | Jun 29, 2018 |
Hilarious and informative. ( )
  DanDiercks | Jun 18, 2018 |
There's info about his personal life if you're just a fan, lots about how politics actually works day in/day out if you're curious, there's humor at his own expense (and some at others) if you just want a smile or laugh, and at the very end there is a nice section about the current state of things and where to go next as progressives, and a few stories to remind him (and the reader) about who Americans really are at heart. A great read at just the right time for me! ( )
  RivetedReaderMelissa | Mar 22, 2018 |

Al Frankenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Franken, AlNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Based on actual events.
I was born in the house I built myself with my own two hands.

The Harvard-educated comedian, talk-show host, and U.S. Senator chronicles the story of his unlikely senatorial campaign, detailing the ensuing months-long recount and what his service has taught him about America's deeply polarized political culture. "From the #1 bestselling author--a book about an award-winning comedian who decided to run for office and then discovered why award-winning comedians tend not to do that. This is a book about an unlikely campaign that had an even more improbable ending: the closest outcome in history and an unprecedented eight-month recount saga, which is pretty funny in retrospect. It's a book about what happens when the nation's foremost progressive satirist gets a chance to serve in the United States Senate and, defying the low expectations of the pundit class, actually turns out to be good at it. It's a book about our deeply polarized, frequently depressing, occasionally inspiring political culture, written from inside the belly of the beast. In this candid personal memoir, the honorable gentleman from Minnesota takes his army of loyal fans along with him from Saturday Night Live to the campaign trail, inside the halls of Congress, and behind the scenes of some of the most dramatic and/or hilarious moments of his new career in politics. Has Al Franken become a true Giant of the Senate? Franken asks readers to decide for themselves."--Jacket.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,963,843 books! | Top bar: Always visible