Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Strong Heart

by Charlie Sheldon

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really did enjoy this book. Once I got used to the author's clipped sentences, I was better able to relax into the prose. It's a wonderful adventure story and a story of interpersonal relationships as well. It's about believe and disbelief, fact or fiction, all very believable. The ending was a bit abrupt, but I did enjoy reading the book overall. ( )
  Mokihana | Jul 5, 2017 |
Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Shelden. 4.5 Stars 07/02/2017

This is written by a new author whose writing style is good, understanding, and the story was well organized and interesting. I felt his characters were well developed, likable and each had their own individual traits. I’m hoping to see more from this author. I believe his story, the theme, plot, and the environment he created delivered enjoyment and interest to keep a reader wanting more. I thought the interaction between the characters were exceptional. The story setting is in the wilderness of Washington State. The story has historical facts, native culture, past legends and flows with a spiritual quest that makes the story more interesting.

The story is about a Native American grandfather, Tom who is going on a journey into the wilderness to visit his fathers grave. However, his motive is more than that; he also has an old environmental artifact that is mysteriously linked to his past that he feels he must return. Just as his friends, William who is in poor health and his daughter Myra who is struggling over different issues picked up their backpacks to join Tom on his journey when someone knocked on the door. For the first time he meets his granddaughter, Sarah who is thirteen, rebellious and strong willed. An elder family member left Sarah on his porch because they could not control her and felt he must do his share in raising this child and keep her out of trouble.

This left Tom in a dilemma. Sarah has never been backpacking through the wilderness before so he really didn’t want to take her but William talked Tom into taking her with them. Sarah didn’t want to go plus she didn’t think her grandfather liked her. It was interesting to follow Tom, his friends and most of all his granddaughter. As the reader I could tell how Sarah might be mischievous throughout their trip. They had some situations that stood in there way but they made the best of it. Sarah gets angry and walks off but eight days later she was found with a story to tell and what a story… Sarah got to complete the mystifying and hard to believe story on their second journey into the wilderness.

It was a great story of adventure, myths, and legions that was beyond the modern world. It felt like I was watching all the scenes from above them. The story just flowed with ease….. ( )
1 vote Juan-banjo | Jul 4, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I am going to find it difficult to review this book. While it was well written for the most part - once in a while I had a little difficulty following exactly which character was speaking - I found the subject itself hard to believe. A large part of the book was supposed to be through the viewpoint of a young female in prehistoric northwest North America. This is not the first book in this genre I have tackled, but I found this one to be less believable than some others. While this IS a book of fiction, there is absolutely no way to know with any certainty if the events that unfold in the story are in any way truly representative of actual events. This is where my skepticism kicked in. I also felt that the ending was rather abrupt and I would have like to have seen a little more closure to the story - did Sarah and Tom (granddaughter and grandfather) progress in their relationship after the hiking trip? We, the readers, were kind of left hanging. I have to admit that the book had a unique premise - that Native American legends are based on historical events passed down in oral tradition - I'm just not sure about the way in which that premise was presented in this book. Still worth a read though. ( )
  Lisa_Wojcik49 | Jun 19, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A very well written book. The story drew me in immediately. I especially loved the story in a story that was Sarah's tale. I only gave it 4 stars due to the ending being unimaginative and leaving me wanting. ( )
  lowelibrary | Jun 8, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This story takes place in the Olympic Peninsula wilderness in Washington State. Tom, his Native American friend William and William's daughter Myra are about to go on a camping trip. Not an ordinary camping trip but Tom is going to find the place where his great grandfather died while Tom was with him. Right before they are about to leave, Tom's ex-wife arrives at his doorstep with his young teenage granddaughter, who he didn't even know existed. Sarah is not happy about this situation and voices her opinions. Tom and his friends decide to go on this trip anyway and take Sarah with them. On this trip they are learning about each other and learning to trust each other as well. Sarah disappears for a time and when she returns she tells them what happened to her. Tom doesn't believe her story, thinking that it would have been impossible to happen in this day and age and within the time she was missing. Her story tells of a long ago time of Native American history.
They are also fighting to keep this area from being taken over by developers believing that this could be a historical site.
I received this book from Library Thing for an honest review. ( )
  JoyceMG3 | Jun 5, 2017 |

One stormy May night, just as Tom Olsen is about to leave with his Native American friends to visit his grandfather's grave deep in Washington State's Olympic Peninsula wilderness, he answers a knock at his door to find an abandoned thirteen year old girl.

The girl announces her name is Sarah Cooley and that Tom is her grandfather. She tells Tom he lives at the end of the earth. All she sees is dripping forest, tall trees, rain and wind. Astonished, all Tom sees is trouble. He knows he should cancel the trip and deal with Sarah, but when his friends suggest bringing Sarah along, Tom reluctantly agrees, hoping a backpacking trip might teach Sarah some sorely needed lessons about character, responsibility and grit.

All too soon, Tom and his friends have reason to wonder - are they taking Sarah Cooley on this journey, or is she taking them?

Adventure, scientific inquiry, a tinge of mystery, and a hint of the unexplainable infuse this meticulously-imagined tale. In a story matching the breathtaking scope of its Pacific Northwest and North Pacific setting, Sheldon's tale startles, yet challenges us to think.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 06 Mar 2017 18:52:02 -0500)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Charlie Sheldon's book Strong Heart is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,175,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible