Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Strong Heart

by Charlie Sheldon

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Strong Heart is one of the most unique novels I’ve read recently. Tom’s teenaged granddaughter, Sarah, who he didn’t know existed, is dropped at his door when he’s about to take an epic hiking/camping trip with some Native American friends. What follows is a story describing Tom’s history and human history in general. Sarah experiences a vision detailing what life could have been like for young women in Washington State many years ago. The story was good. The writing came across a little stilted at times because of the sentence structure, but this did not affect my enjoyment of this novel. Thanks to Librarything and publisher for free book in exchange for honest review. ( )
  ebrahmstadt | May 16, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Strong Heart is set in the Olympic Peninsula Wilderness of Washington State. It’s the story about a grandfather, Tom, who meets his rebellious, strong willed granddaughter, Sarah, for the first time and decides to take her backpacking with his Native American friend William and Williams’ daughter Myra. Tom has his reasons for doing this trip, part family mystery and part closure after the death of his father. Regrettably, Sarah has never backpacked, William is in poor health, and Myra is going through a lot of unresolved issues herself; but they set off not knowing the dangers that lie ahead. The story is a mix of historical facts, mysterious legends, and a spiritual quest that collide in the modern world.
I enjoyed reading it, and I think older teens and adventure loving adults would like it too. My critique is that the writing could be more polished and the transitions need a little work. But after saying that, I do feel that this new author has more stories to tell and that there are future novels to come. 4 stars ( )
  PamelaBarrett | May 8, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An adventurous journey into the northwest region of the state of Washington, to try to recover the atlatl, which could possible be archeological evidence of an ancient artifact, that was left behind on an earlier adventure. The crew believes the atlatl is from a mammoth bone, dating back thousands of years. If this is the case, it makes this land a archaeologists find and off limits to developers. ( )
  Gatorhater | Apr 26, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book from LibraryThing and am grateful for the chance to read it. However, it is probably the strangest story that I've ever read. I've read a lot of Native American lore and legend but never anything like this. It's the story of Tom and his granddaughter, Sarah and William and his daughter, Myra. They go on a trek. Sarah has an interesting part in this unusual story. They all go on a second trek to try and recover an artifact that was left on the first outing. It was all just very strange to me. ( )
  CandyH | Apr 25, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book through LibraryThing Earlier Reviewers and am so happy to have been selected to receive it. The story of Tom Olsen his Granddaughter Sarah, his old and dear friend William and William's daughter Myra. The four of them leave to visit Tom's grandfather's grave in Washington State's Olympic Peninsula to visit Tom's Grandfather. They decide to take along this thirteen girl who has absolutely no interest in going. The four of them over the span of the book come to care deeply about each other. The book is not as simplistic as I have described. Please, if you have the opportunity to read this book - do so! I truly enjoyed it and learned a fair amount about some of the theory of how inhabited our country first and where they came from. ( )
  JanicsEblen | Apr 18, 2017 |

One stormy May night, just as Tom Olsen is about to leave with his Native American friends to visit his grandfather's grave deep in Washington State's Olympic Peninsula wilderness, he answers a knock at his door to find an abandoned thirteen year old girl.

The girl announces her name is Sarah Cooley and that Tom is her grandfather. She tells Tom he lives at the end of the earth. All she sees is dripping forest, tall trees, rain and wind. Astonished, all Tom sees is trouble. He knows he should cancel the trip and deal with Sarah, but when his friends suggest bringing Sarah along, Tom reluctantly agrees, hoping a backpacking trip might teach Sarah some sorely needed lessons about character, responsibility and grit.

All too soon, Tom and his friends have reason to wonder - are they taking Sarah Cooley on this journey, or is she taking them?

Adventure, scientific inquiry, a tinge of mystery, and a hint of the unexplainable infuse this meticulously-imagined tale. In a story matching the breathtaking scope of its Pacific Northwest and North Pacific setting, Sheldon's tale startles, yet challenges us to think.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 06 Mar 2017 18:52:02 -0500)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Charlie Sheldon's book Strong Heart is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,439,846 books! | Top bar: Always visible