Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

You Bring the Distant Near (2017)

by Mitali Perkins

From 1965 through the present, an Indian American family adjusts to life in New York City, alternately fending off and welcoming challenges to their own traditions.

This is SO GOOD. It's funny and sweet and sad and amazing. I loved all the characters so much and it made me cry and the ending was perfect. You should read it. (I don't even LIKE realistic fiction usually, but it's just the best.) ( )
  bookbrig | Aug 5, 2020 |
A story about identity, race, culture, and finding your place and your home in the world! Perkins, once again, develops characters that you care about, and you hope will succeed in our complicated world. ( )
  Lisa_Francine | Aug 5, 2020 |
This was so, so, so good! A family's life over decades, cultural clashes, finding yourself, love - everything a great story needs. ( )
  j_tuffi | May 30, 2020 |
This book traces several generations of the Das family as they move from India to Ghana to London to the United States. Early in the book chapters focus on Starry (Tara) and Sonia as they adjust to life in the United States. Later the book focuses on their daughters and at the heart of the story is Rani, the family matriarch. The family goes through tragedy and triumph all the while exploring what it means to hold on to heritage and to be American. ( )
  ewyatt | Jun 20, 2018 |
Honor book for Walter Dean Myers award ( )
  ChristianR | Mar 7, 2018 |

Mitali Perkinsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gonzales, CassieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Northeast, ChristianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thou has made me known to friends whom I knew not. Thou has given me seats in homes not my own. Thou has brought the distant near and made a brother of the stranger. I am uneasy at heart when I have to leave my accustomed shelter; I forgot that there abides the old in the new, and that there also though abides.

- Rabindranath Tagore, from "Poems"
For Jacqueline Perkins Draine, my American mom
The swimmers have finished their races and are basking in the sun.

Mitali Perkins is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,733,852 books! | Top bar: Always visible