The Parthenon Bomber by Christos…

The Parthenon Bomber

by Christos Chrissopoulos

I felt inferior while reading this book. I couldn’t understand most of what the bomber was ranting about, but then I completely agreed with the parts I did comprehend. So, how do I go about writing a review on an intelligently written book which I cannot understand?

What kind of person would want to demolish an icon? Hero or villain. Maybe it depends on the reasons. Is the person selfishly wanting to draw attention to themselves? Or is the person wanting to rid the earth of an erroneously perceived evil?

This novella brought to light many social issues which could lead to public debate. Is a town defined by an icon or its people? What can a person do if he feels trapped by society? Is privacy more important in some cultures than others?

Although this book is only 67 pages, it is not meant to be a quick read. I am glad I took the time to explore this thought-provoking piece of literary art.
  Bibliodiction | Apr 28, 2018 |
THE PARTHENON BOMBER by Christos Chrissopoulos is brief tale of a man who blows up the Parthenon. The reader learns about his motivations and the communities reaction. I took it to represent a compelling urge for society to destroy the old to embrace the new, and whether that is right our not. The book, after the bomber's recounting the event from his point of view, reads like a FBI report on the explosion, rather dry and straight forward.
For a small book, it has its moments, but after reading THE PARTHENON BOMBER, I really didn't take anything away from it. The message of old versus new was there, it just didn't inspire me or leave much lasting impression.
Thank you to Other Press, Christos Chrissopoulos, and Netgalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  EHoward29 | Jun 26, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,018,223 books! | Top bar: Always visible