A Rabble of Dead Money: The Great Crash and…

by Charles R. Morris (Author)

Member:Schmerguls
Title:A Rabble of Dead Money: The Great Crash and the Global Depression: 1929–1939
Authors:Charles R. Morris (Author)
Info:PublicAffairs (2017), Edition: 1, 416 pages
Rating:**1/2
Tags:non-fiction, Depression, economic history

A Rabble of Dead Money: The Great Crash and the Global Depression: 1929–1939 by Charles R. Morris

5500. A Rabble of Dead Money The Great Crash and the Global Depression: 1929-1939, by Charles R. Morris (read 17 Sep 2017) The account in this 2017-published book of the history of the Great Depression is of interest but the heavy doses of analysis were somewhat beyond my interest, so I found much of the book not holding well my attention, though I agreed with his analysis of the effect of the New Deal and the discussion thereof is of interest. But I confess I was annoyed that on page 272 he says the man appointed to run the NRA in 1933 was Hiram Johnson, who he describes as "a California politician". Hiram Johnson was a California politician but he was not the head of the NRA. The head of the NRA was Hugh Johnson, who was born in Kansas, attended West Point and became a brigadier general at 36. He did go to the University of California (Berkeley) and obtained a law degree but that is his only connection to California. The book says Johnson was "in the process of losing a struggle against alcoholism" and I find no reference to such in regard to either Hugh Johnson or Hiram Johnson. So the error in regard to this causes me to question the accuracy of the book, though much the author says about the Depression seems cogent and reliable. ( )
  Schmerguls | Sep 17, 2017 |

The Great Crash of 1929 profoundly disrupted the United States' confident march toward becoming the world's superpower. The breakneck growth of 1920s America--with its boom in automobiles, electricity, credit lines, radio, and movies--certainly presaged a serious recession by the decade's end, but not a depression. The totality of the collapse shocked the nation, and its duration scarred generations to come. In this lucid and fast-paced account of the cataclysm, award-winning writer Charles R. Morris pulls together the intricate threads of policy, ideology, international hatreds, and sheer individual cantankerousness that finally pushed the world economy over the brink and into a depression. While Morris anchors his narrative in the United States, he also fully investigates the poisonous political atmosphere of postwar Europe to reveal how treacherous the environment of the global economy was. It took heroic financial mismanagement, a glut-induced global collapse in agricultural prices, and a self-inflicted crash in world trade to cause the Great Depression. Deeply researched and vividly told, A Rabble of Dead Money anatomizes history's greatest economic catastrophe--while noting the uncanny echoes for the present.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,132,537 books! | Top bar: Always visible