Haunted Futures: Tomorrow is Coming by…

Haunted Futures: Tomorrow is Coming (edition 2017)

by Salomé Jones (Author)

Member:no1bookaddict
Title:Haunted Futures: Tomorrow is Coming
Authors:Salomé Jones (Author)
Info:Ghostwoods Books (2017), 264 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:***

Haunted Futures: Tomorrow is Coming by Salomé Jones (Editor)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a great collection of short stories about the effects of technology on the future. The first story is particularly heart rending and well told. Further entries detail uses, consequences, and unexpected developments resulting from future technological breakthroughs. All will leave you wanting more. ( )
  Gkarlives | Oct 21, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Haunted Futures is a short story anthology filled with stories involving either some kind of haunting, or indeed the future. The content ranges from high-tech to fairy tale, from militias to the everyday. While there is an obvious thread throughout the stories, there is no single feature that they all have in common. This anthology feels like a true exercise in speculation — authors writing the things they know best, wrapped about the idea of an uncertain and changing future.
There’s a good variation in length (although I was a little irked at three quite long stories jammed together at the end of the book), but with such a variety of content, I feel that any reader whose eye has been caught by the title would find something there to keep their interest. While I felt like a few of the stories could have used a little more polishing, they were all extremely well-written, and nothing jarred.
I’ve read a lot of short story anthologies as ebooks, as they lend themselves quite well to that format, but this was the first one that I’ve read that I would consider purchasing a physical copy of, largely on the strength of one story. It’s a beautiful book that I feel everyone will connect with for at least one story.

4.5/5.0 stars ( )
  NotaTurnip | Aug 5, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I thought the concept was interesting and the writing was very good. I realized, however, that I just don't like reading short stories, and I just couldn't get into a lot of the topics. If you like short stories, definitely guve this a read! ( )
  no1bookaddict | May 29, 2017 |

Schwarz, LieselContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Shoulders, FelicityContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stolze, GregContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sullivan, TriciaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

It's a treacherous region, the future.

You can t see far, and the footing is uncertain at best. Ghosts and phantoms stalk the haze around you, and their chittering will lead you astray. There are no maps to this territory, but sometimes a brave soul strides out ahead into the haunted shadows. Those who return to the campfire of the now often bear tales of the visions seared into their minds while they were out there, in the mists.

We have scoured the earth for these most daring of travelers the ones who have ventured out into the future and returned wraith-laden. Fifteen of them agreed to share their stories. Their enthralling accounts will seize you, and you might find it difficult to fight free of them afterwards, but any risks are overshadowed by the dazzling wonders that await. So muster your courage, and dive into the pages. Haunted Futures of all kinds await you, with open arms and suspiciously toothy smiles.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 23 Feb 2017 22:35:30 -0500)

It's a treacherous region, the future. You can't see far, and the footing is uncertain at best. Ghosts and phantoms stalk the haze around you, and their chittering will lead you astray. There are no maps to this territory, but sometimes a brave soul strides out ahead into the haunted shadows. Those who return to the campfire of the now often bear tales of the visions seared into their minds while they were out there, in the mists. We have scoured the earth for these most daring of travelers--the ones who have ventured out into the future and returned wraith-laden.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Salomé Jones's book Haunted Futures: Tomorrow is Coming was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Ghostwoods Books

An edition of this book was published by Ghostwoods Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,449,497 books! | Top bar: Always visible