dismiss

Winter

by Marissa Meyer

Series: Lunar Chronicles (4)

Princess Winter, admired by the Lunar people for her grace and kindness, teams up with the cyborg mechanic, Cinder, and her allies, to defeat Queen Levana and find their happily ever afters.
Recently added byKayKay94, hidalgoe, Arina40, jpeterman, GypsyKylara, RoxenNigols, private library, aquapages

English (142)  German (1)  All languages (143)
I enjoyed it, but it definitely could have benefitted from a more selective editor. Found myself very bored sometimes, very confused other times, and just, like, too many things were happening. And way too many times their plans went badly. ( )
  jpeterman | Jul 10, 2020 |
What can I say. This was in a word absolutely wonderful. There were some problems here and there, but overall, I would say that Marissa Meyer did a great job tying everything together through four books.

Marissa Meyer's combined Sailor Moon, Star Wars, and fairy tales to make something so good it was unreal.

Please do not read further if you have not read Cress.

After the events in Cress, we have our team of Cinder, Emperor Kai, Captain Thorne, Cress, Iko, and Wolf aboard the Rampion making plans to overthrow Queen Levana of Lunar.

We already know that Scarlet is a captive on Lunar and has been made a special pet of Princess Winter, stepdaughter of Queen Levana.

Winter due to repressing her Lunar gift, has slowly and painfully been losing the ability to tell what's real and what is a hallucination. Her childhood friend Jacin is the only one that she can trust that is able to keep pulling her back from the brink.

Princess Winter is beloved by many on Lunar and the discussions of how beautiful she is enrages her stepmother Queen Levana.

For those that read Fairest, we all know Queen Levana's backstory and why she is so obsessed with her looks. For those who have not read Fairest, I would take a look at it, if only to get to see what exactly went on in order for Queen Levana to take the throne of Lunar.

I have to say, that hands down all of the characters this time were written so well that I have no complaints. Heck, I liked Kai in this one, if you read my other reviews you know how much he bugged me. Maybe because I find him pretty similar to Tuxedo Mask from Sailor Moon, pretty to look at, but doesn't seem to do too much besides doing rah rah you can do it Sailor Moon.

Kai was actually a valuable member of our rag tag team of rebels and had great ideas. I was happy that we actually got more points of view from Scarlet and Cress in this one as well.

My favorite character to date in all of these books has to be Captain Thorne though. Maybe because he's a lovable rogue and even though he tries to act as if things do not affect him, you know that deep down he wants everyone of his friends to be safe. The love of his ship the Rampion was pretty cute and of course reminded me a lot of Han Solo.

Though I am happy with how everyone was written, I am not going to lie, Cinder started to bug me halfway through. I didn't realize until afterwards that Ms. Meyers had carefully crafted her to be just like Sailor Moon though. For those that have watched the series, Serena does her best to show those in the Dark Moon kingdom the error of her ways, she really doesn't want to fight and wishes in simplistic terms for everyone to get along. When she can, she doesn't vaporize someone, she tries to do what she can to help. So Cinder who kept putting herself in danger to stop others from being hurt was maddening at times. But, since she's model along the lines of Sailor Moon, it makes sense. That said, it was maddening. I think after the umpteenth time of something going awry because Cinder didn't listen I was ready to kick her in the shin.

The flow of the book was actually really good this time. I do think that this was a bit bloated. There were definitely some things that could have been cut, that I don't think would have harmed the book at all. Usually switching back and forth between so many characters would have been problematic, but actually that didn't hamper anything at all.

The writing was great, and the callbacks to different scenes from Sailor Moon and Star Wars was fun to read. I think someday someone should Venn diagram these books. I was really happy that just like with Cress, Marissa Meyers really worked in the fairy tale aspect as well.

The world building was much improved too. I know want to know more about other worlds/countries that make up Marissa Meyers's series. We got to hear some tidbits here and there about things being outlawed after World War Four (believe me I said what a minute, what?) and different laws. The descriptions of people, places, even smells was handled much more deftly as well.

The ending was wonderful. I loved how it reminded me of an ending scene in the first season of Sailor Moon with all of the sailor scouts helping Sailor Moon/Princess Serenity fight Queen Beryl. And I love how it is left up to the reader to imagine what happens afterwards. My favorite books are ones that do not spell out what happens to everyone. I like it better to just picture it in my head. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
ALRIGHT, lets talk about this book. This book that made me so incredibly happy, yet tore my heart out at the same damn time.
As you all likely know, this is the final book in the Lunar Chronicles, and the fact that it was the last book was killing me the entire time I was reading it. I took my time with this book because I knew it was the end and I didn't want it to be. I read every other book in this series within 48 hours, and yes this one is 800 pages, but it took me a week and that is very very unlike me. Every time I sat down to read this, I only wanted to read 50-75 pages before thinking "ah its too much that's it for today!!"

All of that said, I'm so glad I took my time through it. I feel like I'm going to remember it much much better this way, and oh god was it ever incredible. I couldn't have asked for a better ending to this series, I couldn't have wanted better for any of our main characters (which there are a lot of). Okay, except Wolf maybe, I feel bad for Wolf.

This book made me feel things, like happy, sad and really really angry all at once, and it was like being on a roller coaster, but honestly I expected the ending to make me feel just a little bit more. Was the ending great? Yes. I'm glad I didn't fall into a puddle of tears for the last ten pages of this book. There wasn't too much heartbreak other than knowing the story was ending. But for once after reading a series, I'm not questioning anything about the ending. I feel like there are no loose ends. Everything, every single plot point from the past books was wrapped up in this if it wasn't wrapped up previously, which I really appreciate.

Overall, I think this book was the best possible way for the series to end. The story was good. I didn't feel overpowered by all the action. I wasn't thinking "ok yeah thats cool they're shooting people but why???" everything came across very clearly, and I wasn't even mad at the length. At first glance it looks like this book is MAYBE 500 pages, but no, its 827, but the pages are super duper thin. It's misleading, but it made the book less daunting so???

Idk, anyways, this book was incredible, please read it, and if you haven't read the Lunar Chronicles yet please please please get up right now and go to your local bookstore or library or go on amazon and get yourself the beginning of this series. You will not regret it or be the slightest bit disappointed. You will fall in love with every single character, you will fall in love with the world, you will fall in love with the writing. Its incredible. Please read it. ( )
  seraynea | Jun 29, 2020 |
Do any of you run?

I do. You know what this book felt like? Running.

You strap on your shoes (open the first page), you are so feeling great about getting out there. And then, about 7 minutes in...Everything hurts. Everything about it. You can feel each muscle, and were your legs always so heavy, and what's up with your stomach and the burning. You wonder why do this to yourself on a regular basis. And then a good run, you lose yourself a little, you leave that feeling behind and just go void.

The bad ones? They feel like 7 min mark the whole way. Every step is a fight. And what if this was a day you decided, "I'll just circle the block to get my mileage. That sounds easy. Oh GOD there's that tree, I've only gone 1/3 of a mile??"

This book was one of those slogs in the worst way. And it felt like running around the block.Band of misfits reunited and with their sig others? AWESOME. Oh, now look, split up, oh no, revolution attempt failed and at least one per pairing is injured or detained. RINSE. REPEAT. and there's not a whole lot of lather.

So, no, my prior reviews stand. I enjoyed Cinder more than the rest. However, I liked Jacin and Winter's story the best. I kind of wonder if these should've just been self-contained. No need to write an epic series and all that. The ultimate failure of this book for me was the lack of focus and just too much going on.

And just as if I've finished with a bad run, I'm thinking "Thank goodness that's over." (2.5 stars) ( )
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
I loved the ending of this book! The entire series has slowly crept its way into my heart. I am so glad that i finally finished it! ( )
  AshleyReadsss | Jun 23, 2020 |

Marissa Meyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Deas, RichDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O., MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soler, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jesse, who turns every day into a happily ever after.
Winter's toes had become ice cubes.

AR Level 5.9, 33 pts

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,916,508 books! | Top bar: Always visible