Option B: Facing Adversity, Building…

Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience, and Finding Joy (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Sheryl Sandberg (Author)

Member:jbheinze
Title:Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience, and Finding Joy
Authors:Sheryl Sandberg (Author)
Info:Knopf (2017), 240 pages

Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience, and Finding Joy by Sheryl Sandberg (2017)

It's more an autobiography than a how to be resilient book. Not what I was hoping for ( )
  lucaconti | Jan 24, 2019 |
I wish I would have read this while going through some hardship so that I could have been more in the appropriate mindset for this book. I am glad to know that it exists and will return to it if I should be of need of reminder of these concepts while facing something terrible in the future. I'm not sure what I expected, but the tone of this book was much more depressing than I thought it would be. One way it can help everyone at any time is the good advice on how to engage with other people who are experiencing a hardship. ( )
  3njennn | Nov 25, 2018 |
This is the same Sheryl Sandberg who wrote Lean In but Option B is about how she and her young children dealt with her husband’s unexpected death. Last year I listened to her on Katie Couric’s podcast while walking the dogs. I remember walking through a busy park with tears streaming down my face as she and Katie talked.
The book also is emotional at times. She wrote it with a psychologist so there’s a lot of anecdotal stories that point to studies about resilience, overcoming grief, friendship etc.
I appreciated that Sheryl is honest about how she has a very different experience than most women in the same situation who don’t have financial stability or a network of people to help. Sometimes her stories got distracting, ie Mark Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan took me on vacation for a break and all I could think about was what it must be like to vacation with MZ. Or when she said “Anne Quinlan told me...” and I thought “huh, I wonder how many authors she knows well.” She also did admit that she learned how so much of her lessons in Lean In become close to impossible when in a situation like this. ( )
  strandbooks | Oct 17, 2018 |
Read 30% and lost interest.
  ajlewis2 | Jul 11, 2018 |
Probably a 3.5, but it exceeded my low expectations, so it gets a bump! I definitely had issues with Lean In, but she seems to acknowledge those problems (i.e. not acknowledging her privilege) in this book. This book also reads more like a pop psyc book than anything else (but no in-text citations or footnotes! why no footnotes!) and was very insightful on grief. ( )
  nheredia05 | Jun 12, 2018 |

Sheryl Sandbergprimary authorall editionscalculated
Grant, Adam M.main authorall editionsconfirmed
In loving memory of David Bruce Goldberg / October 2, 19767 - May 1, 2015 // I will always love you, Dave
The last thing I ever said to him was, "I'm falling asleep."

"Resilience comes from deep within us and from support outside us. Even after the most devastating events, it is possible to grow by finding deeper meaning and gaining greater appreciation in our lives. Option B illuminates how to help others in crisis, develop compassion for ourselves, raise strong children, and create resilient families, communities, and workplaces. Many of these lessons can be applied to everyday struggles, allowing us to brave whatever lies ahead"--Dust jacket flap.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,649,736 books! | Top bar: Always visible