The Child Finder by Rene Denfeld

The Child Finder

by Rene Denfeld

3202949,154 (3.94)29
    Room by Emma Donoghue (Anonymous user)
    The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King (Anonymous user)
    Our Endless Numbered Days by Claire Fuller (Anonymous user)

I'm on the fence when it comes to this book. Not that the book isn't good. It definitely is read-worthy (or listen worthy). I just had moments when I felt unsure if the story was in the present or if it was a flashback. Now, I listened to the audiobook version so this could just be me being confused and this could be much easier understood while reading the book. And, it's not a BIG problem. I just felt now and then a bit lost. Other than that the story is, for the most part, good, perhaps not that surprising and I wished I had felt a more thrilling feeling reading the book. It's very sad though...

However, I found Naomi absolutely fascinating. Listening to this book made me wish that the book would be turned into a tv-series with Naomi finding children. She's such a fabulous multi-layered character with an intriguing past. I loved getting to know more about the cases she has worked on. It's not that she has any magical powers to find missing children. It's more like she's tenacious, and thanks to her own past is she not willing to give up.

Will Naomi find Madison, and if she does will Madison still be alive? Well, you have to read the book to find out... ( )
  MaraBlaise | Jul 14, 2018 |
I am pleasantly surprised because this book is completely out of the usual genres I read and I actually found it very interesting.

The Child Finder is a book that packs a lot of depth into a little amount of pages. It takes a very real subject matter and portrays in a very sensitive way that leaves the reader thoughtful. This book surprised me in many ways and I would certainly pick up more from the author. ( )
  jlydia | Jun 25, 2018 |
I am on a roll this month. This audiobook had my walks on high intensity as I wanted to get to the end and see how things panned out. I will say Naomi got on my nerves a bit. Wanted to kick her a time or two for being so stubborn. Stories that involve child abduction/missing children always hurt my heart a bit, but it was still very enjoyable. 4🌟 ( )
  karenvg3 | May 11, 2018 |
I read this quite a while ago but held my review until it was closer to the publishing date. As you can see I was blown away by her writing and the fantastic way she assembles her story lines. As in the first book, she tackles imprisonment, but in this book it takes a new form. She also highlights the strong will to survive and the ways this is managed, even in horrific circumstances. In her first book she used a form of magical realism, in this another form of magic, the power of stories, in this case fairytales.

Naomi is a child finder she has gone through some traumatic experiences in her past, and we get glimpses of this throughout the story. She usually tackles only one case at a time, and in this her main case will be that of a missing five year old girl. Naomi's past has made her a dogged searcher, able to piece together things others cannot. I wish she would have stuck with her one case rule because the second case she takes was a small wrinkle in an otherwise almost perfect reading experience. Really couldn't see the need for this case, though it did concern a missing child, it was I thought an unnecessary diversion.

Still there is no getting away from the fact that this is a story that pulls one in, the setting and season adds to the tension. Gorgeous writing as well. I love how she shows that people are not just one thing, that everyone has hidden layers,. Many have had horrible experiences in life, and have found unique ways of dealing with them. This does concern the sexual abuse of children but nothing is graphic, again it is handled extremely well. I wonder if since we never get the full details of Naomi's life if there might be a sequel, would like to learn more about this intriguing character.

ARC from publisher. ( )
  Beamis12 | May 10, 2018 |
3.5 stars. ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |
For Ariel
The home was a small yellow cottage on an empty street.

Three years ago Madison Culver went missing at the age of five while looking for a Christmas tree with her family. Private investigator Naomi Cottle continues the investigation and believes that Madison's disappearance can only be the result of an abduction. Naomi's personal journey from foster child to adulthood parallels her search for Madison, and as her fears and sources of determination come to light, the narrative also dips into Madison's mind, allowing readers to experience her terrifying ordeal at the hands of her captor.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,003,322 books! | Top bar: Always visible