What's a Christian to Do with Harry Potter?…

What's a Christian to Do with Harry Potter?

by Connie Neal

Book Review: What’s a Christian to do with Harry Potter?
(I originally wrote this for a church newsletter in 2003, and just decided to upload this to here.)
by Connie Neal

Waterbrook Press, c. 2001; Colorado Springs, CO

I was fortunate enough to be in the library one morning when I found this on the “New Books” shelf. I wasn’t out to find a book about Harry Potter, but was just seeing what was new. I have read half of the Harry books already out so far, but hadn’t decided whether I would continue. Although I’m not a parent, I have nieces and a nephew and an interest in writing for children, so I’m interested in what children like to read.

Connie Neal’s position is not that of a witch hunter, but more of moderator or guide to help you make your own conclusions of whether Harry Potter is right for you and your children. She also stresses that if you decide to let Harry Potter into your children’s lives, you should read each book first and then with your children. She provides ways to use the books to help children discern evil in their own world and other fantasy movies and books, tell right from wrong, and even share the Gospel.

She warns that if you or your children are over-sensitive to scary things you may want to hold off or skip it altogether. Each child is different so there may be some in your family that could handle them and some who can’t.

In Chapter Seven, ‘Protecting Kids From Real-World Occult,’ Connie Neal also gives guidelines on dealing with the evil forces in your children’s lives. This is an important chapter whether you are deciding to read Harry Potter or not.

The author’s first concern is not about the books themselves, but the way Christians have gone at each other about them from both sides. Many have criticized them without even reading them. They take rumors and passages they read out of context and build up a case with scripture against the books and their author, J.K. Rowling. This point is stressed in the first chapter and another on the danger of debate.

I know the Christian bookstores have several books about Harry Potter. I can’t comment on them without reading them, but I think everyone should give this one a chance. ( )
1 vote eliorajoy | Apr 9, 2010 |

Examines what the Harry Potter books say about witchcraft and wizardry, the concerns Christians have about the series and advises on how to protect children from occult influences.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,699,516 books! | Top bar: Always visible