Vurt by Jeff Noon

Vurt (original 1993; edition 1996)

by Jeff Noon

Series: Vurt (1)

1,579236,836 (3.99)1 / 55
Member:Falcon124
Title:Vurt
Authors:Jeff Noon
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (1996), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 342 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Cyberpunk, virtual reality, science fiction, future England, sex, drugs, surreal

Vurt by Jeff Noon (Author) (1993)

Neuromancer by William Gibson (falkman)
    The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway (KatyBee)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: strange drug entry to alternate reality
    Catspaw by Joan D. Vinge (kraaivrouw)
    Bastard Battle by Céline Minard (iijjaallkkaa)
    Double Vision by Tricia Sullivan (crimeminister)
    Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin A. Abbott (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: The books are seemingly completely different, but they both are rather surreal and deal with dimensions (of a sort) and wondering if your "world" is actually all there is.

English (21)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (23)

I was not really blown away by the book, as so many readers clearly were when it first came out (including the Clarke judges, who in my view should have gone for Snow Crash). Cyberpunk isn’t really my subgenre, Dick did the Dickian bits better, the characterisation is rather flat, and in the set-up, the state rather implausibly seems to have little contact with the alternative scene of our protagonists (when in fact you’d expect police and welfare agencies at least to be keeping a wary eye and at worst to be complicit in the supply of dubious substances). I found it rather dragged, despite its relatively short length. I can see why some people liked it, but it didn’t really work for me. ( )
  nwhyte | Sep 23, 2018 |
I've read this book probably two dozen times in the past 15 years and it just gets better and better. ( )
  jeneria | Jan 28, 2016 |
This is an odd book that isn't really Science Fiction, or Fantasy - It straddles the two genres.. Maybe New Weird is the best you can do...

Anyway, this book is about drugs (maybe) - drugs that allow you to share dreams with your friends, if you do the same "feather" at the same time. This is maybe the future world. Or maybe its a dream... but there are four types of sentient creatures - humans, dogs, Robos, and Shadow. There is possibly Vurt (short for virtual?) creatures. Anway, Scribble, our hero, lost his sister to the Vurt. She was traded with a creature, a lump of squirming meat. Scribble wants to get her back - and the only way to do that is to trade something of equal value.

Anyway, its an easy read, but it isn't. The story doesn't explain the world, it just throws you in. A reader needs to pay attention. The world is slippery - its hard to figure out what is going on. Luckily, at the core, the story is simple. A boy looking for his sister.

Read this if you want something weird and slippery. ( )
1 vote TheDivineOomba | May 1, 2014 |
I cannot, in good conscience, rate this book. I read it, but it was very long ago and I don't really remember all that much. I don't even know if it was any good or if I would recommend it to anyone else.

That being said, displaced concepts of this book have popped into my head at various times during my life. This, "Brave New World," and "Cyteen" have surely warped my brain in some way, and that's a pretty powerful thing for any book to do. So in that sense, this book holds a place in my heart.

If I remember correctly, the writing seemed disjointed and as though separate writings were sewn together into one novel. It was as though I had just dropped E--one minute the characters were in one place, the next they were somewhere else, sometimes things seemed to move slowly, other times everything was going too fast.

This is a very interesting read and if I could get a hold of a copy, I would read it again. ( )
  HarperKingsley | Nov 13, 2013 |

Noon, JeffAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lundwall, Sam J.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Magee, JoeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thiemann, UteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mandy came out of the all-night Vurt-U-Want, clutching a bag of goodies.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312141440, Paperback)

If you like challenging science fiction, then Jeff Noon is the author for you. Vurt, winner of the 1994 Arthur C. Clarke award, is a cyberpunk novel with a difference, a rollicking, dark, yet humorous examination of a future in which the boundaries between reality and virtual reality are as tenuous as the brush of a feather.

But no review can do Noon's writing justice: it's a phantasmagoric combination of the more imaginative science fiction masters, such as Phillip K. Dick, genres such as cyberpunk and pulp fiction, and drug culture.

If this tickles your fancy, you should definitely consider the sequel to Vurt, Pollen, or Noon's lighter and more accessible Automated Alice, a modern recasting of Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:21 -0400)

In an alternate version of Manchester, England, society has been shaped by Vurt, a hallucinogenic drug accessed by sucking on color-coded feathers. Scribble and his sister Desdemona use it for their enjoyment of incestuous sex, but then Desdemona gets replaced by an amorphous blob, and Scribble descends into a virtual reality underworld of violence and sex to search for her.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,819,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible