The Arrangement: A Novel by Sarah Dunn

The Arrangement: A Novel (edition 2017)

by Sarah Dunn (Author)

Member:havenlibrarian
Title:The Arrangement: A Novel
Authors:Sarah Dunn (Author)
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2017), 368 pages

The Arrangement: A Novel by Sarah Dunn

ebook (1) LN (1) netgalley (1) on-deck (1)

Interesting story. Good book but really the premise is so off base. ( )
  shazjhb | Jun 14, 2017 |
Kudos to Sarah Dunn for writing "The Arrangement". I loved the author's descriptions of the unconventional stereotypes of marriage, family, friendship and community.

The genres of this book are Women's Fiction, Satire,and Humor. As a matter of fact, at certain parts in this novel, which I found hilarious, I had to use my inhaler from laughing so hard.

The author's witty approach and descriptions of the characters are amazing and intriguing. The characters are complex, complicated, quirky, and flawed, and at times find themselves in absurd and amusing situations.

There are certain controversial topics that are discussed in this book. This book has so many topics to discuss. I would highly recommend this and hope that you enjoy it!! ( )
1 vote teachlz | Apr 18, 2017 |
The sizzle has gone out of Owen and Lucy's marriage. They are middle aged, in a long term relationship, and then there is Wyatt, their autistic son who sucks out the last of their energy. One night, while throwing a dinner party, Lucy finds out her friends are planning on having an open marriage. At first she and Owen are repulsed and then they become intrigued. They make up a list of rules and then they dare to test them out. Against the backdrop of Lucy and Owen's crumbling marriage we learn about some of the other residents and their own marital woes in the the yuppie town of Beekman outside of Manhattan that they all reside in.

I loved this story so much. It was a soapy addictive read. The author writes for television and I could easily see this as being the next limited series for HBO. She nails so many truths of what it is like to be in a long term marriage in your forties. She also knows what it is like to parent in 2017 especially if you parent a special needs child. In addition to the dishy drama the story is also quite funny and I chuckled out loud in a few places. RIP Fat Black. If you are looking for a juicy read that will make your own spouse seem like a dream or make you glad you are single then you need to make an arrangement to read this book. ( )
  arielfl | Apr 17, 2017 |
Lucy and Owen fled Brooklyn for the suburbs not long after their son, Wyatt, came along. In the perfect little town of Beekman, they have a beautiful old house, a yard full of chickens, and interact with a cast full of eclectic characters. Lucy also has her hands full with Wyatt, a challenging kid with autism. One evening, when some friends come over and the drinks flow freely, they mention their open marriage. At first, Lucy and Own are a bit shocked. But as the exhausted duo look around at their life, they begin to consider "the arrangement." Owen grabs a pad and a pen and they eke out some rules. It still seems like a joke, until Lucy says she wants to give the arrangement--a six-month experience where they each have an ongoing, no questions asked free pass in their marriage--a go. Surely nothing will go wrong, right?

This novel is a different, oddly intriguing read, offering an extremely realistic portrayal of marriage and raising children. Warm and fuzzy it is not, yet it's still engaging and features relatable characters. Lucy and Owen's exhaustion is palatable, as is Lucy's frustration and love for Wyatt, who is an intelligent, fun, and extremely challenging special needs kid. (You will grow to love him, even as you completely empathize with why poor Lucy might need a break--one of the definite strengths of the book.) For a good early portion of the novel, I found myself thinking I would be reading a quite grim look at parenthood and marriage. And it is, in many ways. After all, why are Lucy and Owen so willing to embark on the arrangement, you wonder? Are they bored with their life, with each other? Are they simply tired parents? What causes them to choose this? As the arrangement begins, their reactions to its ongoing presence in their lives is surprising, and Dunn does a good job at capturing some nuance in their character that you might not expect. These are real married people, with real issues.

Still, there are definitely some odd bits and pieces stuck into the story. It seems disjointed at times, and some of the characters and their stories seem to pop up at weird times, forcing you to remind yourself how they fit into Lucy and Owen's life and the town of Beekman (for we don't hear just from our main couple, but several others who live in town). The novel meanders at times, and I wouldn't call the ending closure, per se, though it falls in line with the realism of the novel.

Where Dunn shines is her humor, which slips through even some of the darker moments. Moments with Wyatt are perfectly captured. Lucy's friend, Sunny Bang, is one of the best things about this book, and you'll love every second featuring her. There's a scene at the town church with many of the local kids (and their pets) that is solely worth purchasing the entire book. Seriously, Dunn writes with a sharp wit, and it's one of the main reasons my rating upped to 3.5 stars. The book is often smartly funny and feminist, even if it has its depressing, wandering moments. It's a fascinating look at marriage, for sure, and I was certainly intrigued to see how the arrangement would play out. It was also a welcome break from all the thrillers I'd been reading lately, so thanks! If you like sharp and witty characters coupled with a psychological inside look at modern-day marriage, you'll find this one quite compelling. 3.5 stars.

I received a copy of this novel from the publisher and Netgalley (thank you) in return for an unbiased review. It is available everywhere as of 03/21/2017.

Blog ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Google ( )
  justacatandabook | Mar 17, 2017 |
This was a very different book. Some may be turned off just because of the subject matter. Usually, I'm not up for reading a book about cheating. However, I think because both parties decided that they would do this, I did not have a problem with reading the book. On the subject of cheating, while this is about sex, there is not a lot of graphic details for those of you who wish not to read any of that stuff.

So, while this couple decides that they are going to try this for six months and see what happens. They make a list of rules and then they are free to go out into the world. At first, they are surprisingly okay with the fact that their spouse is doing it. (This happens for each spouse at different times, of course.)

While there were a few chuckles and smiles, while all of this going on. I still found myself not believing that they are doing this. I think some of my chuckles were due to the fact that I was laughing because of the fact that they were doing this.

And then, of course, there is the time when it's the end. When they must come back to each other and forget all that's happened outside of their marriage. Can they do it?

I found the book very entertaining. I loved the little boy. He popped up with some humdingers at times. What I really want to say, I can't, because I don't want to spoil it. Let me just say that I wasn't going to request this book. That was due to the subject matter. However, I read a couple of the reviews and they sounded positive for me. So, I said what the heck and I'm really glad that I did. It was definitely a good read and I would definitely recommend it.

Thanks to Little, Brown & Company for approving my request and to Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  debkrenzer | Mar 10, 2017 |

A hilarious and emotionally charged novel about a couple who embark on an open marriage-what could possibly go wrong?

Lucy and Owen, ambitious, thoroughly-therapized New Yorkers, have taken the plunge, trading in their crazy life in a cramped apartment for Beekman, a bucolic Hudson Valley exurb. They've got a two hundred year-old house, an autistic son obsessed with the Titanic, and 17 chickens, at last count. It's the kind of paradise where stay-at-home moms team up to cook the school's "hot lunch," dads grill grass-fed burgers, and, as Lucy observes, "chopping kale has become a certain kind of American housewife's version of chopping wood."

When friends at a wine-soaked dinner party reveal they've made their marriage open, sensible Lucy balks. There's a part of her, though-the part that worries she's become too comfortable being invisible-that's intrigued. Why not try a short marital experiment? Six months, clear ground rules, zero questions asked. When an affair with a man in the city begins to seem more enticing than the happily-ever-after she's known for the past nine years, Lucy must decide what truly makes her happy-"real life," or the "experiment?"

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 10 Mar 2017 17:31:55 -0500)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,078,649 books! | Top bar: Always visible