The Arrangement: A Novel by Sarah Dunn

The Arrangement: A Novel (edition 2018)

by Sarah Dunn (Author)

A progressive New York couple with an autistic son move to a bucolic Hudson Valley exurb and immerse themselves in the local community only to have their bond tested by an invitation to become an open-marriage couple.
Member:Mallards
Title:The Arrangement: A Novel
Authors:Sarah Dunn (Author)
Info:Back Bay Books (2018), Edition: Reprint, 368 pages

The Arrangement: A Novel by Sarah Dunn

OMG I can't believe it. From page 66: "Sunny Bang narrowed her already narrow Korean eyes. 'Oh my God, I can't believe it,' said Sunny Bang." ( )
  irrelephant | Feb 21, 2021 |
An interesting concept that the author plays out well. I like that the story starts out with the arrangement right away, rather than waiting to get into it. I kept wanting to know if or who would break the rules first, and how the ending would play out for the couple. Great story, well written, and thoroughly enjoyable!

*I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.* ( )
  JaxlynLeigh | Dec 26, 2020 |
3.5. Funny, crazy, and not for everyone. Quick and summery read. I kept wondering "who the hell can make time for all this..."

samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
This would’ve been 3 stars had I not laughed my ass off about the blessing of the animals fiasco. ( )
  amandanan | Jun 6, 2020 |
Digital audio performed by Ellen Archer

Lucy and Owen have settled in a “perfect” Hudson Valley suburb. They have a large home, an autistic son, and a flock of chickens. Lucy and the other stay-at-home moms even cook the school’s hot lunch. When friends reveal that they’ve decided to have an open marriage, Lucy is stunned. But then she’s intrigued and after talking it over she and Owen agree to a six-month, no-questions-asked experiment with very specific ground rules. But while Lucy and Owen have rules for their arrangement, their potential partners do not.

Somehow, I had the impression that this was going to be a fun, farcical comedy of manners type book. It isn’t. There are some scenes that are quite entertaining (the blessing of the animals fiasco comes to mind), but by and large this is a pretty serious look at modern marriage and the work of commitment – to your partner, to your child, to your values.

I thought it was interesting that Dunn gave the couple the added responsibility / stress of an autistic child. My sympathies changed through the book as a result of how they interacted with their son and each other.

She also people the novel with other interesting couples: a gay couple raising children in the suburbs (the original open marriage on which “the arrangement” is modeled); a teacher who transitions from male to female but whose spouse remains with her; a billionaire with a gold-digger wife who seemingly cares nothing for their child.

Ellen Archer did a wonderful job narrating the audiobook. Her voice for Wyatt was particularly effective … with the rapid fire, higher pitch INSISTENCE of a young child … I certainly felt the parents’ stress in dealing with this challenge. ( )
  BookConcierge | Aug 16, 2019 |
Really to sin you have to be serious about it.
---Henrik Ibsen, Peer Gynt
For Peter, the only arrangement I'll ever need
After it was over, all of it, Lucy found herself making the point again and again that it had been a mutual decision.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,222,862 books! | Top bar: Always visible