5 Worlds Book 1: The Sand Warrior by Mark…

5 Worlds Book 1: The Sand Warrior

by Mark Siegel, Alexis Siegel

Other authors: Xanthe Bouma (Illustrator), Matt Rockefeller (Illustrator), Boya Sun (Illustrator)

Series: 5 Worlds (1)

1198147,411 (3.8)None

5 Worlds Book 1: The Sand Warrior by Alexis & Mark Siegel with illustrations by Boya Sun & Matt Rockefeller is the first book in a fantasy series set in a place where magic plays a distinct and politically polarizing role. In this universe, all 5 worlds in the system (different types of beings live on the different worlds) are kept in careful balance with one another until they suddenly start to die for unknown reasons. There are some that believe their only hope of survival is to light all 5 beacons (one in each world) but the Toki peoples are adamantly set against this course. Our heroine, Oona Lee, is a less than stellar student of the Sand Dancer Academy (inexpertly wielding magic sand) and suddenly she finds herself swept up in a seemingly foolhardy attempt to save the universe before time runs out. There's intrigue, danger, and a health dose of racial tension just to stir the pot. I've recommended this to quite a few kids and all of them have enjoyed it because all of those heavy topics are real and kids can spot a fake from a mile away. Additionally, I thought the art style of this book was really unique and beautiful which made it even more astounding when I discovered that the book was a collaborative effort between people living in different parts of the world. Talk about life not imitating art! 10/10 and you can look forward to my review of the second book in the series in a few days. XD ( )
  AliceaP | Dec 5, 2018 |
This series of graphic novels take you to a world of magic, danger, and excitement! The graphics are amazing, colorful, variety of skin color, fantasy, and characters are well portrayed. This book or series could be read y second through sixth grade and used for free imaginative writing and predictions. ( )
  Alexiz | Nov 24, 2018 |
This review and others posted over at my blog.

I purchased this on a whim and I’m so pleased I did! I absolutely loved the mix of sci-fi and fantasy elements, the protagonists and the art style!

The blurb on the back of the comic had me at “sand dancer” and when I took a peek at the art style and found it to my liking (yes, I’m that picky), that sealed the deal; 5 Worlds volume one was coming home with me!

This comic has it all – style, action, loveable characters, an interesting magic system, high tech (including advanced AI!), a history involving powerful gods, an evil force that must be defeated, planets on the verge of environmental collapse if they can’t work together, an amazing color palette, family drama, heart and, and, and!

I’ll admit I’m not well-read when it comes to comics – it’s mostly to do with the format, availability and price, but also somewhat due to my being so picky about art styles. But I’ve never read anything quite like this comic. It was also giving me a middle-grade vibe, which we all know I’m crazy about. I don’t think the comic talks down to its readers though – it’s a mix of being friendly for younger readers while still having an appeal for older ones.

I’m glad that volume two is already published, because I need to get it soon. I can’t stand waiting a year or more for the next volume, especially when I read comics in one sitting!

You should definitely pick up a copy if:

+ You like worlds that blend sci-fi with fantasy magic systems, especially element-based ones
+ You enjoy middle-grade
+ You want to support diverse authors
+ You want likable teen characters
+ You’re looking for a quick, colorful read to brighten your fall season ( )
  MillieHennessy | Oct 31, 2018 |
Since you are all well aware of my obsession with Middle Grade fiction at this point, let's go ahead and skip that. Can we instead please focus on the growing existence of Middle Grade graphic novels? I am so pleased that there are more and more of these out there, and I'm determined to champion all of them! Kazu Kibuishi's blurb had me from the moment I saw this book. So I was thrilled when I was asked to join the blog tour. Warning: there's some gushing ahead. Let's go ahead and get the small qualms that I had out of the way first, though.

I think this graphic novel could definitely have benefited from a bit more action. It was heartening to see that the authors weren't afraid to bring the real idea of war alive on these pages. I love when MG readers aren't treated with kid gloves. However I think this book needed to move at a bit quicker of a pace. The illustrations are gorgeous, (I can't wait to actually see them all in color.) but some of the filler panels felt like a bit much. I wanted more of Oona's quest, more of their desperate rush to save the day, and just more tension in general. This first volume was missing that epic feeling that stories like this usually have for me.

That being said, the characters were absolutely lovely. Oona, An Tzu and Jax were all vivid, and easy to fall in love with. I loved how each of them came from a different background. The concept of race is alive and well in this book, and the idea of racism is gently touched upon as well. It makes me happy to see authors putting these things out into the world for readers of this age group to start to digest. Oona overhears people of different worlds talking badly about people of other worlds, and making mean jokes. She sees some people get upset about what others are saying. Young readers can start to get a grasp here on unity, diversity, and especially empathy. It's an amazing thing.

Add in the fact that the ending of this book has a twist I wasn't expecting, complete with a cliffhanger, and you have my complete attention. Mark Siegel and Alexis Siegel have started something beautiful and magical with the 5 Worlds series. They've opened up a dialog that I think is important, in a way that is easy to digest and a lot of fun to read! Readers, young and old alike, will love this series. My only regret is that there isn't more of Oona's story to devour yet. I NEED to know what happens next. ( )
  roses7184 | Oct 9, 2018 |
I felt like I was dropped in a world without too much information to go on. I learned things along the way but I rather have had more of an understanding before things kicked off. Loved the surprise and I'm curious enough to see how the story continues in the next graphic novel. ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |

Mark Siegelprimary authorall editionscalculated
Siegel, Alexismain authorall editionsconfirmed
Bouma, XantheIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rockefeller, MattIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sun, BoyaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

"A story that explores new worlds packed with amazing adventures; ancient mysteries; the unlikely bond of a clumsy dancer, a boy from the poorest slums, and a superstar athlete--and their quest to save one small, distant galaxy from the forces of evil"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,674,570 books! | Top bar: Always visible