A Pocketful of Poems: Vintage Verse, Vol. I,…

A Pocketful of Poems: Vintage Verse, Vol. I, Revised Edition (Thomson… (edition 2005)

by David Madden

Member:camarie
Title:A Pocketful of Poems: Vintage Verse, Vol. I, Revised Edition (Thomson Advantage Books)
Authors:David Madden
Info:Wadsworth Publishing (2005), Edition: 1, Paperback, 240 pages

A Pocketful of Poems: Vintage Verse by David Madden

This book was created as a teaching tool. It includes what are supposed to be some of the most-taught poems in a slender 132-pg volume. I found it enjoyable as a reader of poems because it provides easy access to some favorites, from Blake's "The Tyger" and Lewis Carroll's "Jabberwocky" to Lucille Clifton's "Homage to My Hips" and Dorothy Parker's "One Perfect Rose." It makes for a light bedside book of poems and that's where I intend to keep mine.

The book is arranged alphabetically by author, which creates some interesting juxtapositions: "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" is followed by Carolyn Forche's "The Colonel," Keats' "To Autumn" is followed by Galway Kinnell's "Blackberry Eating," and Rich's "Diving into the Wreck" is followed by E.A. Robinson's "Mr. Flood's Party."

It's easy to pick at what selections are included or excluded, especially in such a slim volume. I think the editor has done a good job but would fault him for including only one prose poem and for 2 of the 3 Rich poems being from the 1950s (the volume was published in 2001). Other odd choices were made, but I'm happy to have so many familiar poems that I've enjoyed in such a handy package. It could easily be taken on a trip, kept in a glove compartment, taken along for a doctor's appointment. At 6 x 9" and only 1/4" thick, it would fit in many women's purses and would be in danger of getting lost in a beach bag or picnic basket. ( )
  jppoetryreader | Apr 27, 2012 |

As with two prose anthologies that launched the Pocketful series, A Pocketful of Poems: Vintage Verse is aimed at satisfying the need for a concise, quality collection that students will find inexpensive sand that instructors will enjoy teaching. The reception of this series has supported the original assumption that students and teachers would welcome an innovative alternative to huge anthologies, which are rarely used entirely, tend to be too bulky to carry and to handle in class. Containing 125 poems, this affordable companion contains some of the most commonly studied works in classes around the country.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:35 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,381,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible