To Be Where You Are by Jan Karon

To Be Where You Are (edition 2017)

by Jan Karon

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:audiobook, read october 2017

To Be Where You Are (A Mitford Novel) by Jan Karon

The 14th book in this magnificent series still has Father Tim at the helm and familiar characters, some who die and others come and go. Enjoy, as once again Mitford changes, character by character, family by family.....
  SABC | Oct 19, 2017 |
Thank you to @penguinrandomhouse for the advanced galley of "To Be Where You Are", Jan Karon's 14th installment of the beloved Mitford Years books, due to be released on 9/19. My mother-in-law introduced me to this series over 15 years ago though I will confess I haven't kept up with the books in the last several years. Settling into this novel was like visiting old friends and family. Like snuggling into your favorite sweater with a warm cup of cocoa. Father Tim Kavanagh, the Episcopal priest, is still coming to terms with "retirement" and is newly married (now almost 78!). He still ministers to the needs of the folks of Mitford, an idyllic town set in the Blue Ridge mountains of North Carolina. The town has a cast of older characters that made me laugh out loud numerous times. Jack Tyler's adoption story was heart melting. Six year-old Grace Murphy with her bifocals trying to write her first book tugged at my heart. The family trees are many branched and jumping into this book without having the history could get confusing. But the people are real and Karon addresses issues such as anxiety, abuse, debilitating loneliness, adoption, and suicides, and managing life with the assistance of prayer and faith. The theme of these books for me is good people taking care of their family and neighbors. Go out and start with the first book and get to know the sweet town famous for its fall foliage. The folks at the Happy Endings bookstore, the Local grocery, the Sweet Stuff bakery (and the famous Orange Marmalade Cake), the local vet Dooley, and the newspaper, the Mitford Muse will win your heart. The entire time I was reading this, I kept wondering why these beloved books had never been made into a TV miniseries. Thanks to a Google search I discovered that Hallmark has just released a TV movie! ( )
  MyArmchairAdventures | Oct 17, 2017 |
I really enjoy this series. When I took it on, I had about ten books to read. Now every year, just one at a time. I am thankful they are big, but sometimes I can't keep track of all the secondary characters.. I do hope Ms. Karon keeps writing these books as long as she can. ( )
  eliorajoy | Oct 12, 2017 |
The fourteenth entry in the long-running Mitford series. Mitford is as charming as ever, but increasingly alienated from the real world. I could nitpick several little details, but the overall experience is still unmitigated enjoyment. On one hand, I wouldn't mind reading as many books as Karon wants to write, but on the other hand, I'd like her to end the series before she has to kill off any more of the aging original characters. I'd recommend this for anyone who has enjoyed the series thus far; I actually enjoyed it slightly more than the last couple books, though not quite as much as the first four or five. ( )
  foggidawn | Oct 2, 2017 |
To Be Where You Are- Karon
Audio performance by John McDonough
4 stars

This is the 14th book of a reliable series. I’ve no idea if Jan Karon is planning to wrap up her successful Mitford series with this book, but it did have the ring of a happily-ever-after story. All of the younger characters, especially Dooley and Lace, are coming into their own and living happy productive lives. The older characters are slowing down somewhat, but still making major contributions to the community. The characters are as always endearing, the setting idyllic. Mitford is a restful place to visit.
I enjoy it, but I don’t lose sight of the fact that it is a bit of a fantasy. Virtually all of Mitford’s characters are Christians. If they aren’t, they are waiting to be saved by Father Tim or his colleagues. Jan Karon is clearly writing from the heart and deep faith. If her perspective is somewhat narrow, she portrays what is best in a predominantly Christian community. (Mitford takes care of its own!) That said, I think she should dispense with her token Jewish character. She may mean well, but her approach is condescending and stereotyped. ( )
1 vote msjudy | Oct 1, 2017 |

#1 New York Times bestselling author Jan Karon returns with the fourteenth novel in the beloved Mitford series, featuring three generations of Kavanaghs.

After twelve years of wrestling with the conflicts of retirement, Father Tim Kavanagh realizes he doesn't need a steady job to prove himself. Then he's given one--but what, exactly, does it prove? Meanwhile, newly married Dooley and Lace face a crisis that empties their bank account and turns their household upside down. Is the honeymoon over? Is this where real life begins?

As the Mitford Muse editor stumbles on a quick fix for marital woes and the town grocer falls in love for the first time, Father Tim and Cynthia receive an invitation to yet another family wedding.

But perhaps the bottom line is this: While a star blinks out in the Mitford firmament, another soon blinks on at Meadowgate, and four-year-old Jack Tyler looks forward to the biggest day of his life--for now and forever.

Jan Karon weaves together the everyday lives of two families, and the cast of characters that readers around the world now love like kin.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 15 Mar 2017 14:41:04 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,645,736 books! | Top bar: Always visible