Way Station by Clifford D. Simak

Way Station (original 1963; edition 1963)

by Clifford D. Simak

Member:Stbalbach
Title:Way Station
Authors:Clifford D. Simak
Info:Old Earth Books (2004), Hardcover, 225 pages
Rating:**1/2

Way Station by Clifford D. Simak (1963)

English (35)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  Czech (1)  All languages (39)
Simak at his best. ( )
  Greymowser | Jan 23, 2016 |
The Way Station is a classic science fiction novel that answers the author's what if question. What if aliens had a Way Station on our planet? In the book, Enoch Wallace, a civil war veteran, has been asked to operate a Way Station for Galactic Central. Galactic Central is a federation of alien species. The aliens travel the galaxy and need a location on our world for a Way Station. Earth is not yet ready to become part of Galactic Central and so Enoch is the only Earthman that is aware of the aliens and their presence. While Enoch is in the way station he does not age and after operating the station for over a hundred years people (including the CIA) are starting to notice that there is something strange going on. The book is light on plot. Much of it consists on Enoch wondering what his and humanity's place is in the universe. Simak ruminates on his what if scenario and what it would be like for the man who must run the station alone, virtually cut off from his world. I enjoyed reading the book and thinking about the questions Enoch pondered. There were times that I thought the author made the alien Galactic Central too perfect, and very idealized, but then I realized that we are seeing it through Enoch's eyes and that things may not be as perfect as they seem. I anticipated the ending way too early in the book for my liking. I am glad I read the book, after reading a bunch of dystopian science fiction it is nice to read a SF book that leaves the reader feeling optimism and hope. ( )
  Cora-R | Jan 17, 2016 |
  Cora-R | Jan 13, 2016 |
Please read the full review on Weighing A Pig Doesn't Fatten It...

Way Station is firmly rooted in its time of publication. While the language and descriptions are still worthwhile, the themes of this book seem dated and naïve. Simak tells the story of Enoch Wallace, a soldier that survived Gettysburg and afterwards was chosen by an alien to transform his parental house in a secret way station for all kinds of different alien travellers. Enoch is to be the keeper of this station, and doesn’t age any more. At first, the story holds tremendous promise. There is a sense of mystery, and Simak’s rural descriptions of the lonely Enoch and his daily occupations really achieve a unique, emotional mood.

As the novel progresses, this mood at times becomes muddled by (...) ( )
  bormgans | Dec 15, 2015 |
Published in the early 60's, Way Station won a Hugo award in 1964. Enoch Wallace, A Civil War veteran, is approached after he returns to the family farm in Wisconsin and offered the opportunity to serve as the keeper of a way station for alien travelers who are passing through on their way elsewhere. He accepts and we find him in the 1960's, virtually un-aged and still keeping the station. The government has finally noticed that there is something odd going on and has sent an agent to watch him. One of his neighbors has also taken a dislike to him and relations in the galaxy have grown tense because of the lost of an artifact called the Talisman. With all this going on Enoch's quiet life may be coming to an end. At the very least there will be changes ...

I really enjoyed this novel. While I've had it for a very long time, for some reason I had never read it but I imagine that I will read it again some day. Recommended for fans of classic SF.
  hailelib | Aug 8, 2015 |

Clifford D. Simakprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Baumann, JillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Summerer, Eric MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Dongen, H. R.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The noise was ended now. The smoke drifted like thin, gray wisps of fog above the tortured earth and the shattered fences and the peach trees that had been whittled into toothpicks by the cannon fire. For a moment silence, if not peace, fell upon those few square miles of ground where just a while before men had screamed and torn at one another in the frenzy of old hate and had contended in an ancient striving and then had fallen apart, exhausted.
Here lies one from a distant star, but the soil is not alien to him, for in death he belongs to the universe.
Somewhere, he thought, on the long backtrack of history, the human race had accepted an insanity for a principle and had persisted in it until today that insanity-turned-principle stood ready to wipe out, if not the race itself, at least all of those things, both material and immaterial, that had been fashioned as symbols of humanity through many hard-won centuries.
Could it be, he wondered, that the goldenness was the Hazers' life force and that they wore it like a cloak, as a sort of over-all disguise? Did they wear that life force on the outside of them while all other creatures wore it on the inside?
...the Earth was now on galactic charts, a way station for many different peoples traveling star to star. An inn...a stopping place, a galactic crossroads.
...on the other side of the room stood the intricate mass of machinery, reaching well up into the open second storey, that wafted passengers through the space from star to star.

„Градът“ на Саймък е преди всичко епос за самоотричащия се и самоунищожаващия се човек, за неговата невъзможност да постигне вътрешна хармония и външно разбирателство, да преодолее примитивизма на собствената си природа, което е задължително условие за движение към утрешния ден.

„Градът“ на Саймък е в същност светът на Саймък — един изненадващ в измеренията художествен анализ и синтез на възгледите на буржоазния хуманист, който отчаяно търси отговор на поставените от него самия въпроси.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345284208, Mass Market Paperback)

Enoch Wallace survived the carnage of Gettysburg and lived through the rest of the Civil War to make it home to his parents' farm in south-west Wisconsin. But his mother was already dead and his father soon joined her in the tiny family cemetery. It was then that Enoch met the being he called Ulysses and the farm became a way station for space travellers. Now, nearly a hundred years later, the US government is taking an interest in the seemingly immortal Enoch, and the Galactic Council, which set up the way station is threatening to tear itself apart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:43 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,175,328 books! | Top bar: Always visible