When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit by Judith Kerr

When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit (1971)

by Judith Kerr

Series: Memoirs of Judith Kerr (1)

English (22)  Spanish (4)  German (1)  All languages (27)
Summary: This children's chapter book is a story of survival about a German-Jewish girl names Anna and her family during the Nazi takeover in Europe. Anna does not realize what is happening until it happens-Hitler is taking control of Germany and her life. In this novel, Anna loses her father and her and her brother go on a journey to sneak out of the country. It captures the struggle and hardships Anna and her family face moving from country to country trying to find a safe place to call home. Fighting the discrimination and the war, Anna and her family stick together through it all.

Argument: There are many reasons I enjoyed this children's chapter book and would recommend it for teachers in upper elementary level classrooms. First, I enjoyed the illustrations that can be seen on each page that introduces the chapter. It helps break the story up from being all text and give the readers something to look forward to after they finish each chapter. It also gives them a prediction of what will happen in the following chapter and foreshadows certain events. Secondly, I enjoyed this book because it contains language from the different countries the family travels to. This really puts the reader inside the minds and actions of the characters and connects them to the culture and time period. For example, on page 167 it states, "C'est bien pourou que ca dure". What I like about this book is it contains the multicultural language but also gives the English translation so the readers can comprehend the text. Lastly, I enjoyed the authors note/review in the beginning of the book. In this review it talks about how the author based this story off of herself and the struggles her family had to go through in Nazi occupied Europe. It gives the reader something to think back on as they read and imagine what life might have been like for the author.
The main message of this story is the importance of family and love. Even though Anna and her family endure hardships and torment traveling all across Europe, their love and strength in one another never fades. It reminds children that they need to be thankful for what and who they have in their lives. ( )
  stomas5 | Dec 9, 2014 |
Told from the perspective of nine year old Anna, in 1933, her secure life becomes shattered as she and her family flee Berlin in 1933. Her father, a well-known writer, finds it impossible to support his family as increasingly his articles are not allowed to be printed.

Insightful, fearful he knows he must take his family and leave all behind before it is too late. Moving from Germany to Switzerland, then France and finally England, Anna finds it difficult to adjust. Middle class and sheltered, she has no reference for the difficult life they face as the family learns different customs and languages.

While the book is well written, I felt it lacked depth. As others were dying in concentration camps, starving and losing all contact with loved ones, Anna's family is fortunate to be able to leave.

In comparison to other nine year old children, Anna is very naive regarding just how frightening it is to exist under Hitler's reign of terror. ( )
  Whisper1 | May 24, 2014 |
This book was fantastic! I never planned on reading it but I got it as a gift and it was just really good. I do enjoy like historical fiction but I never really buy books like that because I always think I wouldn't enjoy it when in reality I always do. This book was really interesting and I couldn't put it down. But there's one thing that confuses me about this: I recently found out that there are like two more books in this series? Which I really don't understand because for me this was concluded. ( )
  JustSitAndWooui | Mar 1, 2014 |
When Hitler Stole pink Rabbit is Judith Kerr's YA novel based on her flight from Germany and Hitler at age nine. When she began writing this book, Kerr had only published picture books (Mog series and [The Tiger Who Came to Tea]) and was feeling unsure of both her rusty German and the exactness of her memories. So rather than using a first person narrative, Kerr tells this story from Anna's point of view. The major events and feelings are hers, with some invented detail. Unlike many Holocaust novels, what emerges is not a tragedy but a beautiful book of adventure, family and warmth. Anna, despite the family's new poverty, enjoys Switzerland and France, the excitement of new people and the challenge of learning new languages. (YA) ( )
  Berly | Feb 13, 2014 |
Nine-year-old Anna is living in Germany, and the year is 1933. It is one of the country's most troubled eras. But she's too busy with her schoolwork and friends to notice Adolf Hitler's face glaring from political posters plastered all over Berlin. And she's never even paid much attention to the fact that she's Jewish. Being Jewish, she thought, was just something that you inherited from your parents and grandparents, like the color of your hair. One day, she is forced to take notice. Her father is unaccountably, horrifyingly missing. Soon after, she and her brother, Max, are hurried out of Germany by their mother with alarming secrecy that Anna does not fully understand.
At last, they are reunited in Switzerland, and Anna and family embark on an adventure that extends over the course of several years, and over the borders of many countries. Along the way, they learn new languages, new customs, how to cope with confusion, and how to be poor. They are refugees, and Anna soon discovers that it requires special skills to stay a few steps ahead of the Nazis.
When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit avoids most of the details of the actual Holocaust. Instead it provides young readers with a gentle, yet important introduction to a devastating chapter in world history. The family moves all around and finally ends up in England.

I really enjoyed this book. It was very easy to understand due to the fact that I am also Jewish. I definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys historical fiction and/or autobiographies. Overall this is definitely a humorous yet terrifying novel about a little girl living in the Holocaust. ( )
  br14elmo | Sep 30, 2013 |

Judith Kerrprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Manninen, KerttuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fran Feinberg
Anna was walking home from school with Elsbeth, a girl in her class.

Anna is not sure who Hitler is, but she sees his face on posters all over Berlin. Then one morning, Anna and her brother awake to find her father gone! Her mother explains that their father has had to leave and soon they will secretly join him. Anna just doesn?t understand. Why do their parents keep insisting that Germany is no longer safe for Jews like them? Because of Hitler, Anna must leave everything behind. Based on the gripping real-life story of the author, this poignant backlist staple gets a brandnew look for a new generation of readers just in time for Holocaust Remembrance Month.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:15 -0400)

Summary: The story of a nine-year-old Jewish girl and her family in the early 1930s as they are divided, reunited, and travel from Germany through Europe to England to escape persecution.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,392,610 books! | Top bar: Always visible