When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit by Judith Kerr

When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit (1971)

by Judith Kerr

Series: Memoirs of Judith Kerr (1)

The Silver Sword by Ian Serraillier (markbarnes)
    markbarnes: Both books tell the story of escape from Nazi Germany, through a child's eyes. Although quite different from one another, both are poignant, and beautifully written.

English (27)  Spanish (4)  German (2)  All languages (33)
Read for the Nov. Children's Books group discussion. I'd really like to read some historical fiction for children about some other event, but at least this took place early, starting before Hitler was actually elected. And it's true, and it was written fairly long ago, before most of the other WWII fiction I've read.

One thing I found interesting here is how quickly some of the French people got nasty to the Jewish refugees, for no good reason except that their world was turning into a nasty place. And England was seen as safe. This ends when they moved to England, so a sequel would be interesting.

Anyway, very well-written, with terrific illustrations by the author, mostly actually a heartwarming family story with some bad true stuff mixed in. Still very readable, even funny in bits. Highly recommended. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This review is also available on my blog, Read Till Dawn.

I like to say that I don't like to read WWII books, but I don't think that's actually true - if I'm being completely honest, I love WWII books. Just not the gritty, horrifying Holocaust books about concentration camps and Nazis and horrible treatment that can make you tremble for humanity. I can read maybe one of those a year - or, actually, every other year - but I can down the other sorts of WWII books by the barrel: books about displacement and identity and bravery, and all the different ways people struggled to find their way in the wake of the most terrible war in human history.

In When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit, we get the perspective of a little girl whose family flees Germany before the war begins. It's not a tale of cruelty or hatred (though we see hints of that leaking in around the edges through what happens to people they used to know), but instead a book about moving, about trying to fit in, about looking for a place in the world when your own place was destroyed in a way that means it's never coming back.

As I've mentioned before on this blog, I myself have moved many times. I'm actually in the process of moving again - by the time this review goes live, all my earthly possessions will be packed up on a moving truck and on their way back to the Midwest once more. This makes move #7 (not that I'm counting or anything, Mom and Dad!), and I'm beginning to feel like an old pro at this. There's something precious to me about watching Anna and her brother move away from home for the first time, watching them struggle to adapt to their new lives first in Switzerland (where I actually lived for a year, when I was younger!) and then in France. There's something strangely touching in watching the kids become acquainted with homesickness for the first time, with watching Anna bounce back up every time she hits a rock in the road. There's a certain toughness you have to develop when you move, a certain agility that allows you to adapt to your new community, and I loved watching my own experience magnified a thousand-fold as Anna develops these same abilities on a much larger scale than I had to.

I actually chose to write a report for Spanish (yeah, long story) on Judith Kerr, whose own path out of Germany mirrored Anna's. She seems like a fascinating woman, one of the last still alive to have grown up in pre-WWII Germany, and I would absolutely love to sit down and talk with her sometime. Barring that, I will definitely be on the lookout for the sequels to When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit - and if I ever find them, I will be sure to review them on here. Because this sort of WWII book is my absolutely favorite: the kind that shows the adaptability of the human race, the kind that shows how we can have a "troubled childhood" full of displacement and poverty yet still be perfectly content with the bare necessities of food, friends, and - above all - family to sustain us. ( )
  Jaina_Rose | Mar 1, 2016 |
Cute, but kind of dull considering the subject matter. ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
It was a great book i enjoyed it. ( )
  Shazarah | Feb 6, 2016 |
A story about a family who flees Germany in the 1930s to avoid persecution. The whole story takes place before the war so it's not really a World War 2 story, it's more a story about refugees. Not my favorite. ( )
  imtanner2 | Jun 2, 2015 |

Judith Kerrprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Böll, AnnemarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manninen, KerttuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents Julia and Alfred Kerr
Anna was walking home from school with Elsbeth, a girl in her class.

Anna is not sure who Hitler is, but she sees his face on posters all over Berlin. Then one morning, Anna and her brother awake to find her father gone! Her mother explains that their father has had to leave and soon they will secretly join him. Anna just doesn?t understand. Why do their parents keep insisting that Germany is no longer safe for Jews like them? Because of Hitler, Anna must leave everything behind. Based on the gripping real-life story of the author, this poignant backlist staple gets a brandnew look for a new generation of readers just in time for Holocaust Remembrance Month.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:27 -0400)

Summary: The story of a nine-year-old Jewish girl and her family in the early 1930s as they are divided, reunited, and travel from Germany through Europe to England to escape persecution.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,116,469 books! | Top bar: Always visible