dismiss

Fire & Heist by Sarah Beth Durst

Fire & Heist (edition 2018)

by Sarah Beth Durst (Author)

In Sky Hawkins's family, leading your first heist is a major milestone--even more so than learning to talk, walk, or do long division. It's a chance to gain power and acceptance within your family, and within society. But stealing your first treasure can be complicated, especially when you're a wyvern--a human capable of turning into a dragon. Embarking on a life of crime is never easy, and Sky discovers secrets about her mother, who recently went missing, the real reason her boyfriend broke up with her, and a valuable jewel that could restore her family's wealth and rank in their community. With a handpicked crew by her side, Sky knows she has everything she needs to complete her first heist, and get her boyfriend and mother back in the process. But then she uncovers a dark truth about were-dragon society--a truth more valuable and dangerous than gold or jewels could ever be.… (more)
Member:AHSReader
Title:Fire & Heist
Authors:Sarah Beth Durst (Author)
Info:Crown Books for Young Readers (2018), 304 pages
Collections:Spring 2019

Fire and Heist by Sarah Beth Durst

A fun adventure. Sky's narration is passionate, snarky, and relatable. ( )
  Pascale1812 | Apr 16, 2020 |
Review By: Sara R. (12th Grade)
Grade Range: 7th Grade and up
Genre: Fantasy
Literary Merit: Good
Characterization: Mediocre
Review:
Fire and Heist by Sarah Beth Durst is about a sixteen year old girl named Sky Hawkins. She is the only daughter, and youngest child, of a rich family of wyvernsー humans capable of breathing fire whose ancestors could turn into dragons. For wyverns, gold is a measure of wealth as well as worth, and they have a tradition of stealing it from around the world. Sky’s mother went missing on her last heist. As a result, her family was disgraced and Sky’s boyfriend, a fellow wyvern named Ryan, broke up with her. In wyvern society, your first heist is a major milestone and marks your transition into adulthood. Now, Sky is determined to find her mother and lead her first heist.

Despite its promising concept, something of a mix between Oceans 11 and were-dragons, Fire and Heist is painfully average. The book is fast-paced urban fantasy that seems to strive for somewhat of a high fantasy feel but it falls short. The book has your stereotypical high school romance where the character may be 16, but she’s dead set on being in love with her boyfriend. Sky is also filthy rich and she tries to play it off by making fun of herself, but it simply leaves the reader feeling alienated and unable to relate to the protagonist. At times, it feels like the author pays more attention to the romance between Sky and Ryan then she does to the actual plot. People who are expecting a detailed heist plan can prepare to be disappointed, the actual details of the heist itself are mostly glossed over and simplified.
Recommendation: I recommend this book to those who want a simple, quick read with minor fantasy. ( )
  SWONroyal | Mar 7, 2019 |
If ever there was a book to emphasize that I read what I like, Fire & Heist is it. The story of a teenage wyvern and her family of thieves tickled me more than it should have. The target audience is a good thirty years younger than I am, but that did not stop me from devouring it. I adore with Sky and acknowledged privilege. More importantly, I fell in love with the unexpected pleasure of Sky’s unlikely crew. Not only is their banter hilarious, but I also love how each of them embraces their quirks, the best of whom is Gabriella, Sky’s human friend. She is not familiar with the world of wyverns, and her enthusiasm has no bounds. She is also an unashamed geek, and you cannot help but fall in love with her implacability in the face of Sky’s imperiousness but her lack of filter and childlike wonder when it comes to magic and unicorns. We all need a friend as honest and as supportive as Gabriella.

The story itself is goofy. Dragons live on earth and are among the richest people on the planet because they hoard gold. Dragons obtain gold hoards by stealing from other dragons. Dragon society rewards those dragon families with the most gold and punishes those who are not successful burglars. Add in a home dragon land, a missing parent, unrequited love, more than one failed heist, a mysterious jewel, and power-hungry dragons and you have a story that is one part Romeo and Juliet, one part Ocean’s Eleven, one part geek fantasy, and one part Hallmark movie. It is cheesy goodness at its best.

I love the fact that I can still enjoy novels meant for a younger crowd and never want this trait to change. Some people might say that life is too short to read bad books, but I say life is too short not to have fun and enjoy any book that interests you. In the case of Fire & Heist, the dragons caught my interest, the similarities to Ocean’s Eleven kept my attention, and characters like Gabriella made me fall in love with this story of gold-stealing were-dragons.
  jmchshannon | Dec 11, 2018 |
I got this through NetGalley to review. This was an okay read. This is a pretty quick and simple book and was written at a pretty low reading level. In the end it just wasn’t interesting enough for me to really enjoy.

Sky is a weredragon of sorts and is determined to find her mother and redeem the family name. In an effort to do this she puts together a team to steal a precious gem from her ex-boyfriend’s father’s vault.

There was some interesting history about how the wyverns got to the human world from their Home. However, as I said, this was a very simple and straight-forward story. While it was a very quick read (I read it in a couple hours) it wasn’t all that interesting to me. The characters weren’t that engaging and everything about this was a bit vanilla (weird considering it’s about dragons and heists which should be exciting).

Overall this was not one of Durst’s best books but it was okay. If you are looking for a quick and simple read about weredragons in the modern world this might interest you. ( )
  krau0098 | Nov 30, 2018 |
Sky Hawkins is a wyvern. She's also the youngest in her family, having three older brothers. Her ancestors were exiled from Home through a Door that had disappeared. Wyverns have done quite well on Earth gaining wealth and being the target of paparazzi. Sky's family has recently lost wealth and status when her mother's most recent heist was a failure and resulted in her disappearance. Sky's family has been shunned by the others. It was especially painful for Sky because it was her boyfriend Ryan who shunned her at the most recent Reckoning.

Sky is determined to complete her mother's heist and restore her family's honor and place in their society. Leading a successful heist is a mark of adulthood in her society. Her ex-boyfriend convinces her that he shunned her on order from his father, the head of the Council, and wants to help her plan the perfect heist. Sky also recruits a human friend from school who is just about the only one who will have anything to do with her there. Gabriela is fascinated by dragons and is especially in love with unicorns which are native to the dragon Home. Sky also needs a wizard to help with some of the spells needed for her heist and recruits Maximus who is one of the few wyvern wizards.

Sky and her crew need to work in secret. Her father and older brothers are all against any tries to clear their mother's name and complete her heist. Sky is determined and the group comes up with a plan that should work. However, things go wrong in a big way and Sky finds herself exiled to the dragon Home world which isn't the paradise wyverns on Earth believe.

Although she is reunited with her mother, what she learns about Ryan's father's actions makes her determined to return to Earth and set things right.

I thought the world building with dragons living on Earth as celebrities was well done. I liked the Sky was such a determined person. I also liked the crew of new friends that she gathered around herself. I liked that dragons on Earth believed that they no longer had the ability to shift into to their dragon forms even though they they hadn't lost their ability to breath fire - to one degree or another. The one thing I liked about Home was that Sky learned to shift into her dragon form. I didn't like the rigid class society there.

Fans of dragons, heists, and friendship will enjoy this story. ( )
  kmartin802 | Nov 4, 2018 |

Sarah Beth Durst is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,601,492 books! | Top bar: Always visible