Radical Hope: Letters of Love and Dissent in…

Radical Hope: Letters of Love and Dissent in Dangerous Times

by Carolina De Robertis

Short stories from various authors, primarily centering around issues of immigration and intersectionality post-election. I liked it more than a 3, I think I'm just a little jaded re-hashing all the post-election feelings. Would have been much more useful 7 months ago! ( )
  nheredia05 | Jun 12, 2018 |
This is a true gem of a book. The writing is beautiful (though at times difficult and sad). I highly recommend this book to anyone who feels hopeless and frustrated with our current president and his administration. The collection is full of powerful stories of love and hope - especially during this time of uncertainty.

I would like to thank NetGalley for providing me with an ARC of the book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  debbiesbooknook | Apr 27, 2018 |
Like many, author Carolina de Robertis was overcome with fear, a new President had been elected. Worried about the civil rights of many, people of color, different sexual orientation , different religions,so she put in a call for action. She reached out to fellow writers, asking for love letters, letters written for what she believes will be a turbulent time. Some of our well known and some I wasn't familiar with did what they do best, put pen to paper. Most of these letters are simply amazing.

Some are written to their child, some to the reading public, ancestors or children not yet born, some to famous boundary breakers of the past. They come from different backgrounds, they or their ancestors came from different countries, Syria, China, Vietnam, Mexico, Egypt. They are black, Hispanic, Middle Eastern, Asian, we hear the words from many, the world over. Some of the most known are Lisa See, Jane Smiley, Junot Diaz, Karen Joy Fowler, Claire Massud and Celestica Ng. They are full of fear, hope, love and anger, Karen Joy Fowler's was the most angry but does end of a note of hope. My favorite was by Viet Thanh Nguyen, the author of the Sympathizer and the Refugees.

A wonderful collection that expresses many of things so many of us feel in a very personal and real way. Very intersting, informative and welll done.

ARC from publisher. ( )
  Beamis12 | May 11, 2017 |

Radical Hope is a collection of letters—to ancestors, to children five generations from now, to strangers in grocery lines, to any and all who feel weary and discouraged—written by award-winning novelists, poets, political thinkers, and activists. Provocative and inspiring, Radical Hope offers readers a kaleidoscopic view of the love and courage needed to navigate this time of upheaval, uncertainty, and fear, in view of the recent US presidential election.

Including letters by Junot Díaz, Alicia Garza, Roxana Robinson, Lisa See, Jewelle Gomez, Hari Kunzru, Faith Adiele, Parnaz Foroutan, Chip Livingston, Mohja Kahf, Achy Obejas, Viet Thanh Nguyen, Cherríe Moraga, Kate Schatz, Boris Fishman, Karen Joy Fowler, Elmaz Abinader, Aya de León, Jane Smiley, Luis Alberto Urrea, Mona Eltahawy, Jeff Chang, Claire Messud, Meredith Russo, Reyna Grande, Katie Kitamura, iO Tillett Wright, Francisco Goldman, Celeste Ng, Peter Orner, and Cristina García.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 13 Mar 2017 00:03:20 -0400)

"Radical Hope is a collection of letters--to ancestors, to children five generations from now, to strangers in grocery lines, to any and all who feel weary and discouraged--written by award-winning novelists, poets, political thinkers, and activists. Provocative and inspiring, Radical Hope offers readers a kaleidoscopic view of the love and courage needed to navigate this time of upheaval, uncertainty, and fear, in view of the recent US presidential election. Including letters by Junot Diaz, Alicia Garza, Roxana Robinson, Lisa See, Jewelle Gomez, Hari Kunzru, Faith Adiele, Parnaz Foroutan, Chip Livingston, Mohja Kahf, Achy Obejas, Viet Thanh Nguyen, Cherrie Moraga, Kate Schatz, Boris Fishman, Karen Joy Fowler, Elmaz Abinader, Aya de Leon, Jane Smiley, Luis Alberto Urrea, Mona Eltahawy, Jeff Chang, Claire Messud, Meredith Russo, Reyna Grande, Katie Kitamura, iO Tillett Wright, Francisco Goldman, Celeste Ng, Peter Orner, and Cristina Garcia."--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,108,399 books! | Top bar: Always visible