Invisible No More: Police Violence Against…

Invisible No More: Police Violence Against Black Women and Women of Color

by Andrea Ritchie

143683,257 (5)None

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I will keep this book in a visible place for years to come, both as conversation starter and reference. This work is appropriate for the social justice newbie as well as the die-hard activist, with readable explanations for concepts like "broken windows policing" and in-depth analysis of policy issues. The countless stories of infamous and unknown (at least to me) survivors and victims of abuse and harassment are a great resource for curious and compassionate readers who might never have known someone who has experienced such trials. The tone Ritchie takes is not sanctimonious or off-putting to male readers; in fact, I have found this book has increased my desire to seek an understanding of groups, like trans or gender neutral folks, whom I've never had more than a passing conversation with (that I know of). I am grateful for this work, and I highly recommend it to all, especially those with a passion for social justice issues. ( )
  Trent.Lockhart | May 23, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I think this book does a lot for bringing awareness to women, trans, and gnc people of color who have been a victim of police brutality and state violence. Specifically, it is not afraid to focus on trans women and gender non-conforming-- along with those who do not necessarily fit into the binary-- people of color. We too often overlook these people, when they are perhaps victimized the most.

While I am lucky enough to have never had particularly violent interactions with the police, I am a black woman who is decidedly gender non-conforming, which definitely makes this book more relevant to me.

This piece is not only plainly factual and objective, but anecdotal as well-- a plus for me! And I appreciate that we don't just hear about the names we've heard before like Sandra Bland and Cece Williams-- though they are important as well. However, I feel the book's obligation to pay attention to a multitude of experiences really helped it to concentrate on the sheer massiveness of this problem.

In particular, I liked that it made a systematic connection between sexual violence and police brutality, whereas otherwise people of those experiences themselves viewed it as an individualized happenstance.

Obviously, I find that this type of work can be and usually is far too male-centric. So generally, I believe this book is a good thing. ( )
  ennedroC | Apr 29, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a remarkable book. The author is a "Black lesbian immigrant and police-misconduct attorney. a d 2014 Senior Soros Justice Fellow, with more than two decades of experinece advocating against police violence and the criminalization of women and LGBTQ people of color" Most of us recognize the names of Rodney King, Eric Garner, Freddie Gray and Philando Castile, but what about Sandra Antor, Rosann Miller Alesia Thomas And Mya Hall; these women were victims of similar crimes committed by police officers.

The essays on sexual assault and abuse are particularly illuminating and and are likel to provoke outrage in the readers. We have to continue to fight this through the courts. ( )
  cambridgecenter | Apr 18, 2017 |

An eye-opening account of how Black women, Indigenous women, and other women of color are uniquely affected by racial profiling and police brutality.

Amid growing awareness of police violence, individual Black men—including Michael Brown, Eric Garner, Philando Castile, and Freddie Gray—have been the focus of most media-driven narratives.

Yet Black women, Indigenous women, and other women of color also face daily police violence. Invisible No More places the individual stories of women and girls such as Sandra Bland, Dajerria Becton, Mya Hall, and Rekia Boyd into broader contexts, centering women of color within conversations around the twin epidemics of police violence and mass incarceration.

Invisible No More also documents the evolution of a movement for justice for women of color targeted by police that has been building for decades, largely in the shadows of mainstream campaigns for racial justice and police accountability.

Informed by twenty years of research and advocacy by Black lesbian immigrant and police-misconduct attorney Andrea Ritchie, this groundbreaking work demands a sea change in how police violence is understood by mainstream media, policymakers, academics, and the general public, as well as a radical rethinking of our visions of safety—and the means we devote to achieving it.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 04 Mar 2017 00:14:14 -0500)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Andrea Ritchie's book Invisible No More: Police Violence Against Black Women and Women of Color is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,404,226 books! | Top bar: Always visible