The Clockwork Alice by DeAnna Knippling

The Clockwork Alice

by DeAnna Knippling

No tags.

This enchanting story picks up some years after Lewis Carroll's stories, with Alice all grown up and pondering what-might-have-beens. Alice in Wonderland is one of my favourite books and Knippling does a good job of mimicking Carroll's style and the twisted quirkiness of Wonderland. There are plenty of new characters and locations to explore, which fit right into the existing world, blending with seemingly effortless dream-logic. However, this is a more adult version than the original, with some disturbing scenes and violence. There is also a bittersweet note to the story, a sense of nostalgia and things lost. While it may be true that you can never go back, sometimes revisiting can still be fun.

Summary: Recommended to lovers of Wonderland.

Disclaimer: I received this book in via LibraryThing in exchange for a fair review. ( )
  SukiSu | Jun 10, 2017 |
I was pleasantly surprised by this book! When I read the cover that it was a continuation to the world of wonderland, I was concerned that it would not do the legend justice or characters would fall short.

I was not disappointed, there were twists and turns and amazing ideas and plot shifts that kept your brain from settling on the final answer and ending to all of your questions until the very end. You saw some of your favourite characters as well, which is always an added bonus ;).

It was a wonderfully pleasant read and wildly inventive.

Thank you for letting me review it! ( )
  Elly88 | May 14, 2017 |
The author has a wonderful grasp of the literary style of Lewis Carroll. This story was a delight to read, despite the minor spelling errors. This return to Wonderland is like a new Carroll book with all of its quirks and nonsense. It's like visiting an old friend after many years only to discover you have both grown, but are still very much the same!

I received this eBook from a LibraryThing giveaway in exchange for a review. ( )
  Caitlin.Dionne | May 7, 2017 |
I received this book in a giveaway here on Library Thing. Thanks so much to the author. I wanted to like this and I tried, I really did. I just don't think this is my genre. I found it confusing and just couldn't get into it at all. Did not finish. ( )
  Crystal423 | May 6, 2017 |
I would like to thank the author for sharing this book, in exchange for an honest review.

The beginning was very interesting and beautiful. I really loved it. I thought this was the most befitting sequel to the original masterpiece. But, as time went, I lost track of which Alice was which ( as there were two Alices), and lost all interest in continuing further.

And unfortunately, I did not finish reading the book. ( )
  NishatheGreat | Apr 24, 2017 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

DeAnna Knippling's book The Clockwork Alice was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

DeAnna Knippling is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,153,286 books! | Top bar: Always visible