Camino Island: A Novel by John Grisham

Camino Island: A Novel (edition 2017)

by John Grisham (Author)

Member:havenlibrarian
Title:Camino Island: A Novel
Authors:John Grisham (Author)
Info:Doubleday (2017), Edition: First Edition, 304 pages

Camino Island by John Grisham

CAMINO ISLAND is John Grisham’s latest work. I liked it. I can’t say it was one of my favorites (I’m not sure any title can top THE FIRM, one of my all-time favorite books by any author), but the plot was interesting. The best part of the book for me was chapter 1 The Heist, which described the theft of priceless, original manuscripts by F. Scott Fitzgerald from the Firestone Library at Princeton University.
I liked all the literary references in the book and I liked the ‘sense of place’ of Bay Books Bookstore, the Princeton campus and the Camino Island, Florida, area.
I wasn’t satisfied, however, with how the plot developed. There weren’t enough details or descriptions - of the manuscripts changing hands; the aftermath of several murders; the whole writing desk scenario; the personalities of the main characters. I have to say that I didn’t really warm up to any of the characters and wasn’t concerned about their futures. Mercer, especially, didn’t have a developed personality and Bruce Cable, Noelle, Elaine and Camino Island residents were personality-challenged as well. The ending was extremely unsatisfying.
I do like Grisham’s writing style and I like a book with literary references and day-to-day workings of a bookstore. A pleasant read, but not a great one. ( )
  diana.hauser | Jun 20, 2017 |
Surprisingly unremarkable ( )
  SharronA | Jun 15, 2017 |
A daring heist at Princeton University’s Firestone Library nets a small group of thieves five F. Scott Fitzgerald manuscripts. Although insured for twenty-five million dollars, the manuscripts, written in Fitzgerald’s own hand, are priceless.

Budget-tightening cuts have left Mercer Mann unemployed, a situation that prompts her to consider returning to her childhood haunts on Camino Island, a place she has not visited since the death of her grandmother some eleven ears earlier. Concerned about the state of her finances and about her hefty student debt, she hopes to finish a book she’s been trying to write for several years.

Bruce Cable, owner of the independent Bay Books in Santa Rosa on Camino Island, has built a solid reputation as a bookseller and a rare book dealer. Well-liked and respected, his business is a mainstay of the little resort town. He and his wife, Noelle, an antiques dealer, often entertain his circle of literary friends.

Inevitably, the stolen manuscripts will touch the lives of both the writer and the bookseller. And then the trouble really begins.

Delightful characters peopling an intricate, twisty plot make this a compelling treat for every book-lover. Readers will find much to appreciate in this delicious cat-and-mouse tale of writers, books, and plans gone awry.

Highly recommended. ( )
  jfe16 | Jun 13, 2017 |
I like John Grisham's stories, and over the years I have read most of them. I preorder his new ones, and usually read them soon after they arrive. But I don't think I've ever posted a review about any of his books before.

Camino Island is different. It's set primarily at the beach (which is great for summertime reading, whether or not one actually is at the beach) ... and the story involves authors, bookstores, rare books& manuscripts, an Ivy League library, and of course a few book thieves trying to outwit those who trail them. Plus, I found the ending to be quite satisfying. My only complaint is that I finished the book so quickly -- I would have enjoyed being in that world longer! ( )
  RaucousRain | Jun 12, 2017 |
I liked Grisham's early books but after awhile I fell off his wagon and didn't try any more until 2015 when Gray Mountain came out. It was a DNF for me. So, why would I even try this one? Well, stolen Fitzgerald manuscripts, rare books and bookstores were the lure.

The plot is simple but there are a few edge of the seat moments and the characters are good. I think anyone that likes his books will be pleased with this one. ( )
  clue | Jun 10, 2017 |

Priceless F. Scott Fitzgerald manuscripts stolen in a daring heist; a young woman recruited to recover them; a beach-resort bookseller who gets more than he bargained for—all in one long summer on Camino Island.

A gang of thieves stage a daring heist from a secure vault deep below Princeton University’s Firestone Library. Their loot is priceless but Princeton, has insured it for twenty-five million dollars.
     Bruce Cable owns a popular bookstore in the sleepy resort town of Santa Rosa on Camino Island in Florida. He makes his real money, though, as a prominent dealer in rare books. Very few people know that he occasionally dabbles in the black market of stolen books and manuscripts.
     Mercer Mann is a young novelist with a severe case of writer’s block who has recently been laid off from her teaching position. She is approached by an elegant, mysterious woman working for an even more mysterious company. A generous offer of money convinces Mercer to go undercover and infiltrate Bruce Cable’s circle of literary friends, ideally getting close enough to him to learn his secrets.
     But eventually Mercer learns far too much, and there’s trouble in paradise as only John Grisham can deliver it.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 08 Mar 2017 00:19:33 -0500)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,078,644 books! | Top bar: Always visible