Terminate (Retribution) by Natasha Deen

Terminate (Retribution)

by Natasha Deen

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received an Early Reviewers copy of Terminate from LibraryThing. I think this is the first time I’ve read an Orca book without a student or without a student in mind, so it was a different experience for me. Like all Orca books, it was a quick, easy read without much depth and very little character development. There were two twists at the end. One I was expecting; the other was a surprise. All in all, a good Hi-Lo book. ( )
  mtlkch | May 20, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a fast read, but to be honest, it's also a disappointing one. And it's the definition of rushed--every bit of it, from start to finish, is rushed through. So although the premise and the characters really interested me, and I was excited to pick the book up, it's lacking depth to such an extent that, really, it reads as more of a bare bones exploration than a finished novel, YA or otherwise.

The characters do have some hints of depth, but not enough to come across as more than figureheads that are too familiar. It's easy to see how more time with them would have made a huge difference, but as is, they're not real enough and we don't have enough time with them to invest in and care about them. The plot is more of a problem--it moves so quickly, and is so easy at every step, that there's not really any intrigue or suspense, let alone time to become worried for the characters or really invested. And then, once it gets interesting? It's immediately ended. And I don't mean it's over--it's simply ended in a way that isn't remotely satisfying.

So, would I read another from this series, or another from this author? The answer is no. Honestly, this was so rushed and lacking, I'm not sure I'd read another from the publisher. ( )
  whitewavedarling | May 16, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Fast paced. High stakes plot with enough twists to keep you on your toes. ( )
  kimpiddington | May 7, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Very fast paced and hard to follow in places because I haven't read the previous books. Somewhat unbelievable characterizations (like a conveniently rich hacker who can do anything) and plot holes (stating that there was no cell service, and then one character asking another to text them a photo, for example). A quick read but not terribly satisfying. ( )
1 vote wosret | May 3, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

In this book Josie's friend Amanda goes missing and she is forced to confront this underground fight club for the homeless youth. But it's more than just a fight club-the city morgue is filling up with the battered bodies of homeless youth. And Josie has to save Amanda before it's too late; but not without a little help from her friends.

So this is an interesting book because it's not like most books I read. At Orca Publishing they are passionate about bringing good stories to everyone. So they have books for children-adults that may have difficulties with reading. This book is classified as "Hi-Lo"- High interest, Low vocabulary. And really that's the best way to describe 'Terminate'.
It's super fast paced with a lot happening, but it's told in a rather minimalistic way. It kind of reminds me of a rough first draft. It's very simplistic and doesn't have a lot of detail- in fact, really none besides what needs to be there. Just everything is happening like you got an idea for a story and you wrote it down to remember the basic outline and you'll go back later to put in all the nice extra fluff words and details.But 'Terminate' never does get those add-ins. Which given it being a 'hi-lo', it makes sense. And it's actually refreshing .

If you are someone who doesn't have difficulty reading, I don't want to turn you off of these books, you can still absolutely enjoy them!
Yes, it reminded me slightly of chapter books from elementary school, but I still enjoyed it.

It's a tiny book that keeps your interest-you can read it in one sitting!
If you're trying to come out of a reading slump but don't have it in you to just jump into a complex novel-give this a go!
Behind on your reading goal and want a quick and entertaining read? Try this!
You can even use it as a sort of palate cleanser.
I'm currently reading a book that takes a lot out of me- I can only read a couple of pages at a time before having to put it down. That is so unbelievably frustrating! I still want to read but I can't go on with said book and I don't want to start another, that's how one gets into a slump. 'Terminate' was perfect!
I cracked it open to see what it was about and before I knew it, half an hour had passed and I was over 60 pages into the book! It goes that fast! It was great, it made me feel productive and satisfied. I read 173 pages more than I would have had I not picked it up. I got a great story in such a short amount of time!

'Terminate' is part of a series that can be read in any order. I have not read the other books in this series so I can't really comment much on that, but I think it stands alright by itself.

Getting into what I didn't really enjoy:
I'm the type of person who loves to know characters backstories. You don't really get that with this book. You get a bit for Josie but really nothing on how she met the rest of the group or even who those characters are. Now, each book in the Retribution series has a different characters point of view following their own storyline, which sounds interesting and unique. But the not having much information on the characters brought it down a bit for me.

What really knocked it down though was the ending. The ending is a bit of a confusing, double twist cliffhanger. I haven't got a problem with any of that except the cliffhanger. It makes the book weaker. It makes it reliant on another book; and if I were to read this in any old order, I don't think that would work out too well.

Those are really the only negatives I had.

Overall, 'Terminate' did its purpose. It entertained, it was simple to read-quick to read. It's not the most beautifully written book of all time, but it was good. And the fact that books like this exist is great and important And anyone could enjoy it. ( )
  owill | Apr 17, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Natasha Deen's book Terminate is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,047,919 books! | Top bar: Always visible