Twisted True Tales From Science: Disaster…

Twisted True Tales From Science: Disaster Discoveries

by Stephanie Bearce

Recently added byprivate library, MarJanita, JalenV, sarglib, galoma, koalamom, fuzzi, EarlyReviewers

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Twisted True Tales from Science: Disaster Discoveries has much to recommend it. I like that the descriptions of the disasters are only a few pages long. This makes it easy to pick up when you only have a few minutes to read. Bearce's descriptions are fascinating, and I learned about a lot of disasters that I hadn't heard about before. However, as this book is aimed towards children, I found that some of the descriptions were a bit too graphic to the extent that I didn't give it to my kids to read. For example, in the Peshtigo fire, the author wrote, "Infants cried and people screamed in pain as the white-hot fire rained ash and burning embers on their heads." I thought that was unnecessarily over the top. ( )
  Jum | May 23, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
While the language of this book is geared more for a pre-teen/early teen audience, it is quite suitable and interesting as an adult read. Disasters, whether man-made or "natural" are described in short, 2-3 page narratives, with science experiments to attempt added between some of the entries.

It reminded me somewhat of the old "Ripley's Believe It or Not" columns. A fun read. ( )
  fuzzi | May 23, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I love the "Twisted True Tales" series from Stephanie Bearce. One can definitely tell she is a teacher because she keeps her writings interesting yet informative. Kids simply love the bizarre - yet - true stories that they have never heard before about famous people, inventions, or landmarks. This book, "Disaster Discoveries" has all kinds of dramatic happenings (like deadly lakes and molasses floods) inside its pages. Kudos to Stephanie Bearce for creating a work that kids and adults find captivating! ( )
  MarJanita | May 16, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Nice book that is beautifully illustrated. It is made up of 24 short stories that tell of disastrous events. The stories are well told, but they are so brief that it left me with a lack of satisfaction. I felt a longing to know more about the events. There were too many stories and not enough detail. However, maybe this will encourage kids to go out and read more about the events.
Update: I added this book to our local library's collection. It seems to be a popular book among the younger crowd. ( )
  galoma | May 12, 2017 |
I love this series. The stories are fun and full of information but concise. And lots of neat experiments to try as well. ( )
  koalamom | May 12, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Stephanie Bearce's book Twisted True Tales From Science: Disaster Discoveries is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,404,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible