Lion, king, and coin by Jeong-hee Nam

Lion, king, and coin

by Jeong-hee Nam

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a really enjoyable book. I liked the content and particularly loved the last few pages where you learned concrete facts. As a licensed teacher I question the reading level of this book, though I could see reading this to all ages of elementary students. The sentence structure of the main story is easy enough to entertain elementary students while the content and last few pages are more than enough information for the later years of elementary school. The illustrations were amazing. 4.5/5 ( )
  WhitneyG182 | May 1, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is another book in publisher Eerdmans' Trade Winds series, "an educational series featuring stories set in key periods in the history of economy and culture."  Like the other book I've read in this series, the fictional story about the invention of the first coins around 600 BCE feels forced (again, perhaps a weakness of being translated from Jeong-hee Nam's original Korean).  Much better are the four pages of information about the development of coinage at the end.  In this case, the reading and interest levels for the informational part of the book are a good match to the reading and interest level of the fictional story.  Artist Lucia Sforza uses a muted pastel palette for the detailed illustrations, which seem appropriate for the setting in the ancient country of Lydia (in present-day Turkey).  However, I'm not sure this book has enough appeal to add this paperback to my university library's collection for future teachers.

© Amanda Pape - 2017

[I received this book through the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program.  It will be donated to a library.] ( )
  rdg301library | Apr 21, 2017 |
3.5/5 Stars

A fun cute story about the invention of the coin.

While I felt the story was really fun to read, the best point of this point and all of the Tradewind books is the Illustrations in the book. I'm looking forward to reading more from them!
What I really liked about this book is the true facts that are in the back of the book. I find them really fun to read and to see the true story behind the story I just read. Plus, I think they're a great thing for children readers! They can get a fun and cute story as well as learn a bit about History and Social Studies. ( )
  JohnSS92 | Apr 19, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Lion, King, and Coin, is an interesting book to read aloud to a child. The beautiful illustrations, in shades of yellow, blue, red, and green, are appealing and well linked to the text.
It may be confusing to a bright child reading on their own. The King Midas myth is wrapped inside the main story about the first coins came to be made, and seems unnecessary to the story of coins. The book ends with four pages in smaller type and written at a much higher level, with many special terms. Even the main story throws in undefined terms like "electrum," "exchange," "imprint," and "engraved." This title does help fill a need for books for children about economics and trade and coins and currency. ( )
  mykl-s | Apr 18, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Lot to like about this book if you're an adult. The reading is clean and the images are lovely. The history is simplified, sure, but it's a picture book and there are some adequate appendices.

As a kid though, I suspect some of those simplifications result in too little clarity, and the images are too unitone to attract the eye.

So it's kind of a wash.
  thmazing | Apr 18, 2017 |

A fascinating story about the invention of currency

Laos enjoys his life in ancient Turkey. His father and grandfather are blacksmiths, famous for melting gold into beautiful objects. Laos helps by working in his grandfather's market stall, bartering their gold for food and livestock.

But exchanging such different goods and quantities is complicated. What they need is something to represent the value of their goods, something durable and lightweight. And so the king comes to Laos's family with a very important task: to create something that will make the market accessible to everyone.

This Trade Winds book introduces readers to the world's first coin and gives them an appreciation for modern-day currency.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 06 Mar 2017 18:48:00 -0500)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Jeong-hee Nam's book Lion, King, and Coin is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,439,847 books! | Top bar: Always visible