Yours to Tell: Dialogues on the Art &…

Yours to Tell: Dialogues on the Art & Practice of Writing

by Steve Rasnic Tem

185561,019 (4)1

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Team Tem effectively manage to invite their readers into an ongoing conversation that takes place among writers of different levells of expertise and choice of genre. The purpose of this book not only empowers and encourages, but articulates the process of writing in terms that make sense to a variety of potential students of the craft. Teacher, such as myself, can and will use these methods and experiences to help demonstrate how the writing process should unfold organically and, most importantly, how one should never be intimidated by the intricacies of the process, the subject, or the audience. Once one wraps their head abound the dialogue driven structure and understands the varying levels of expertise among its contributors, this book proves to be an excellent read! ( )
  inkimpediment | May 21, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Yours to Tell: Dialogues on the Art & Practice of Writing is at best a transcript from a podcast you haven't listened to. Though the technique of going back and forth between the two authors allows for one to read the book as if it were an interview from a long article, it becomes tedious when multiple views are presented, constantly going back and forth on what a certain subject means, and whereas it should be a treat to see all points of view on a topic, it can be annoying when chapter after chapter presents one view, only to negate it a few paragraphs later. The authors boast over 200 published pieces, and though I hadn't heard of them before picking up this book, I know a decent handful of their titles as they advertise their own books at almost every turn. (At times they will use classics as examples, but more often than not, they draw on their own books. This can be said to be a positive thing, write what you know, and giving us their own personal examples, but when using their own publications as an example as frequently as they do, at a certain point one gets the impression that they are really just reading an advertorial.) Overall I would give it 3 stars out of five, because if you are a fan of the authors, you may like it. Having never read any of their books, most of the examples are lost on me. On the other hand if you are a writer looking at books on writing, I'd recommend Stephen King's On Writing as the go-to source, or even Writing Fiction for Dummies as a quick reference guide. ( )
  LWWilliams | May 19, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Chapters on "subtext", "plot", "engaging the reader" etc..
Conversational style, with lots of references to the Tems' own works and others. Maybe a few too many references to their own works at the expense of better known novels.
Very readable and accessible to even non-writers. ( )
  AndrewL | May 12, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This conversation about writing provides more nuance than how-to-write books. Common advice in books about writing is to take what you want from my experience. In this case, two experiences are offered for each topic. The result is interesting and helpful.
The book is almost error-free so the use of 'supple' where 'subtle' makes more sense is driving me crazy. Which is it? I received this as a LibraryThing Early Reviewer. Thank you. ( )
  BridgitDavis | May 8, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In short: a very readable book, for writers, readers and in fact for all who love words and texts.

Writing is what makes me feel alive, besides reading and, of course, loving (and all the varieties that loving has). But writing is a lot more than just putting the words on paper. Writing comes with a lot of emotions, questions, doubts, and expectations. It also comes with a writing life. And one way or another, whether you write fiction of non-fiction, poetry or something between, you have to deal with beginnings, middles en endings. Or with the structure, the setting and the subtext. And it doesn't stop there, when you want to be read, listened to, heard.

In their very readable book, Yours to tell, Steve Rasnic Tem en Melanie Tem write about all of this, in dialogue form, like you would sit down and talk to them. I haven't read lots of 'dialogue-books', but I really loved this one. It's never boring and very practical. It also inspired me to think about my writing process, and write about it. Beside that, I also loved the rough reading list with works and writers that were mentioned/discussed in the book. So I would say I would really give this book as a present to anyone who is passionate about writing and reading, and wants to grow in his or her writing process. ( )
  tistje | May 1, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Steve Rasnic Tem's book Yours to Tell: Dialogues on the Art & Practice of Writing is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,471,399 books! | Top bar: Always visible