2DEE by Robin Wyatt Dunn

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book as a giveaway and I feel kind of bad about not liking it. It has some good imagery and is certainly imaginative. My main problem is its lack of focus. Stream of consciousness writing needs to be tighter, more organised, otherwise it starts to rely on cliché and deus-ex-machina solutions to fill in gaps in the narrative structure and character creation. There is an attempt to explain what is going on near the end of the book, but expecting your readers to stick with you for 200+ pages of rambling is probably asking too much of anyone who isn't contractually obligated to read it.

The main character, John Dee, is a Mary-Sue anti-hero who drifts through the story without any effort, is repeatedly saved by higher powers, and usually ends up as the god-emperor-savior of every situation. The dialogue is stilted and awkward. All women throw themselves at him without preamble. It's all too cliché and sometimes borders on so-bad-it's-good territory, but not often enough.

At times the pace is far too quick. I think the story would benefit from slowing down and giving the reader time to process what is happening. I'm giving it two stars because I think there is an interesting story and enough original ideas in there to make a good novel, but they're getting lost in the noise. It needs serious editing to make the story conciser and more effective.

Summary: Recommended to people who like to read unusual stories.

Disclaimer: I received an advance copy of this book via LibraryThing in exchange for a fair review. ( )
  SukiSu | May 21, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is about John Dee – a magician - his AI son and some aliens. But most of all it is a story about Los Angeles.

Writing style seems to be stream of consciousness. The story is very surreal and hard to follow. Not at all the kind of book I like to read from the sci-fi genre. ( )
  Helsky | May 10, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I requested this book in March and only got around to reading it last week. Unfortunately, it was not what I was expecting at all.

I was drawn into it by the idea of reading dystopic/post-apocalyptic book whose main characters are a father and son. What I got instead was a city as a main character, an annoying adult, and a kid who barely appeared.

Honestly, I couldn't get past the first 100 pages. But from what I've gathered of other reviews, the rest of it is still as weird and incoherent.

My main issue with it is the writing style. It's a mix of stream of consciousness with something else I can't describe. It was too jumpy for my liking.

It is, apparently, a second book in a duology or trilogy. I don't really know. But you wouldn't be able to tell from the way this one starts. I don't think reading the first one would have made much difference. Maybe I wouldn't have been so lost with certain characters. But that's it.

The plot is all-over the place, and I just felt it was rushed for no reason.

I gave it 2 stars because, as I've said, the writing style is my main issue and that's totally personal. Otherwise, it would have been a 1 or 1 and a half book.

2 out of 5 stars

I normally am not so blunt with reviews because I don't like dis-encouraging people from reading it, but I just can't say anything nice about this one. ( )
  Martu_Cas | May 6, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Before starting this book I read reviews of the author's other work, so I was prepared for the jumpy, stream-of-consciousness style. I was ready to get into the groove and enjoy something outside the usual narrative style. But the main character is a complete sleezebag misogynist with a god complex, so I gave up. I don't need to read yet more stories about objectifying women and male saviours. Not recommended. ( )
  wosret | May 3, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I understood more or less what the plot is, but it was not easy at all. The sections in which the story goes on are sparse: in the between there is a lot of text I think is oniric (dreamy, if you prefer), but then again it may not be. Some of the characters are presented in different ways, and I could not make heads of tails of them. True, this is a sequel, as I found out; but I am not sure that even having read the first book the story would be clearer. The real leading character is actually the city of Los Angeles, and the scenes in which Dunn speaks of her are by far the one I liked most. In a nutshell, it's a book for people who like strong images rather than a well developed story. ( )
  .mau. | Apr 17, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Robin Wyatt Dunn's book 2DEE is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Robin Wyatt Dunn is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,404,218 books! | Top bar: Always visible