The Laird of Duncairn by Craig Comer

The Laird of Duncairn

by Craig Comer

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Disclaimer: I was given this book for free as part of the Library Thing Early Reviewer (LTER) program for an honest review.

This first book in the series was a quite enjoyable. I think it is a good book to go into blind, only knowing what the synopsis provides. This book focuses on the journey that Effie aka Miss Martins takes to protect the human and fey race. The book does not provide in-depth character development or world development, it is presumed that the reader has some background knowledge of Scotland, but rather focuses on the development of the story. I did find the book slow going to begin with, but by chapter six, and they are not long chapters, I found myself enthralled with where the story was heading and intrigued about what would happen next to the characters. Effie is the main character, but there are many side characters such as Stevenson, Graham, Conall, Sir Walter, Glover and a number of different fey creatures. Those people the reader is expect to like, are very likeable and those that have questionable characters were quite dislikeable beings. I find that I can't even shed anything further than the synopsis because I really do believe that it would be a spoiler. The story had a lot of little twists and turns that left you wondering if everything will work out in the end and always being a champion for Effie to come out on top. Though there was very little character development, the way the story progressed allowed Effie to learn and grow in to a more confident young woman/Sithling. There were a number of developments within the story that lend themselves to be continued in future books, so it will be interesting to see where the author takes the characters and story. Though this book is not due for release until early May 2017, I look forward to next instalment of the series. ( )
  FiLoMa | Apr 23, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a copy of this book in return for an unbiased review.
Effie is a Scottish fey, a Sithling, who finds herself thrust out into a world she has stayed hidden from, a place where humans distrust and where Sniffers seek her kind with vile intentions. Intent on doing what she can to help save her kin, she embarks on a journey, learning of her history and the powers of the fey, hoping to defend against darker forces. Excellent story-telling and well-rounded characters makes this a thoroughly enchanting tale of a strong yet compassionate female protagonist in a man's world. I was particularly enthralled by both the geography and the period, both incredibly well researched and invoked. Loved this, couldn't put it down. ( )
  Aeshna | Apr 9, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a copy of this book in return for an honest review.
I really enjoyed this book. Mr. Comer developed his characters well. Each character is unique and has his or her own back story that allowed me to develop attachments to them. The story is very well developed and is told in a way that grabs you from the beginning. As the heroine, Effie, comes to know her race’s past, she develops abilities that surprise herself, her companions, and her enemies. She also learns the value of family and friendship. This book was a great read. I cannot wait for the sequel! ( )
  galadryl | Apr 6, 2017 |

The year is 1882 Scotland, and the auld alliance betwixt king and fey has long been forgotten. Men of science, backed by barons of industry, push the boundaries of technology. When Sir Walter Conrad discovers a new energy source, one that could topple nations and revolutionize society, the race to dominate its ownership begins. But the excavation and use of this energy source will have dire consequences for both humans and fey. For an ancient enemy stirs, awakened by Sir Walter’s discovery.

Outcast half-fey Effie of Glen Coe is the Empire’s only hope at averting the oncoming disaster. Effie finds herself embroiled in the conflict, investigating the eldritch evil spreading throughout the Highlands. As she struggles against the greed of mighty lords and to escape the clutches of the queen’s minions, her comfortable world is shattered. Racing to thwart the growing menace, she realizes the only thing that can save them all is a truce no one wants.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Craig Comer's book The Laird of Duncairn is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,175,441 books! | Top bar: Always visible