Need You Dead (2017)

by Peter James

Series: Roy Grace (13)

The thirteenth Roy Grace novel from the highly acclaimed number one bestselling author, Peter James.What does it take for a decent man to turn into a killer? Greg, a married man, has been having an affair for three years with another man's wife. One evening, after a fight with her at their rented love nest, he storms out. When he returns an hour later she is dead. Did he kill her in a fit of rage and blank it out, or did someone else do it while he was out of the building? Detective Superintendent Roy Grace of the Sussex Police, assigned to the case, soon discovers that there is more than one person who had a reason to kill her. But only one man has the most to lose - and when his marriage and career are at stake, what lengths will he go to protect all that he holds dear? And what will he do next?… (more)

A good thriller. Read it in one sitting. Love getting the realistic insight into how UK policing works. ( )
  jvgravy | Jun 19, 2019 |
I have never read a bad, or even a mediocre book by this author. Every one... from this series to his standalones, are incredible. The chapters are short and each one contains even more information about Lorna Belling's killer. The suspects start to pile up and it becomes harder and harder for the reader to decide who the guilty party was. Each suspect presented makes perfect sense and had every reason and opportunity to have committed the crime. Then...the bomb drops and I'm willing to bet that everyone...just like me...will be wrong. Fun ride, Mr. James. ( )
  Carol420 | Mar 5, 2019 |
This is an above average, maybe excellent, modern English police procedural. There's a strong crime story and a poignant personal story about Grace's new-found son, both of which kept me reading to the satisfying end.
It's much like some of the better Louise Penny books, which I mean as high praise.
Recommended. ( )
  BrianEWilliams | Jan 30, 2018 |
#13 in the Roy Grace Series
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️❤️
This still has to be one of my favourite series. I love the way you feel part of the investigation, more so than in a lot of Detective books where things are kept back from you, and particularly enjoy the regular team meetings where we get to hear people's thoughts. It is good to hear things occasionally from the killer's or victims perspective. Peter James hasn't lost it: I didn't want to put this one down. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Aug 14, 2017 |
This is the thirteenth book in the popular DS Roy Grace series. Roy is in the middle of a personal crisis when he gets a call that requires his team to investigate the murder of hair dresser, Lorna Belling. At first it looks like her abusive husband committed the crime. It’s up to DS Roy Grace and his team to discover the truth. Eventually they discover more suspects than they can deal with and one member of the team gets too close.

I love the way the author alternates between Roy's personal and professional life. His relationships at work are just as interesting as his personal ones. The author gives us a large variety of suspects and compelling reasons why each can be guilty.

Peter James creates a suspenseful, thoughtful mystery with plenty of surprises. While this can be read as a standalone, I highly recommend the first book of the series [b:Dead Simple|703353|Dead Simple (Roy Grace, #1)|Peter James|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1439269103s/703353.jpg|689644], to get a feel for the characters.
  Olivermagnus | Aug 9, 2017 |

Belongs to Series

To Carole Blake

My absent close friend and mentor.
A brilliant star who left us too soon
You will always shine brightly in my sky
RIP
At the first salon she worked in after qualifying as a hairdresser, Lorna had a client who was an anthropologist at Sussex University.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,871,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible