Need You Dead (Roy Grace) by Peter James

Need You Dead (Roy Grace) (original 2017; edition 2018)

by Peter James (Author)

Member:Tennillenash
Title:Need You Dead (Roy Grace)
Authors:Peter James (Author)
Info:Pan Macmillan (2018), Edition: Reprint, 400 pages

Need You Dead by Peter James (2017)

This is an above average, maybe excellent, modern English police procedural. There's a strong crime story and a poignant personal story about Grace's new-found son, both of which kept me reading to the satisfying end.
It's much like some of the better Louise Penny books, which I mean as high praise.
Recommended. ( )
  BrianEWilliams | Jan 30, 2018 |
[Need You Dead] by Peter James
#13 in the Roy Grace Series
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️❤️

This still has to be one of my favourite series. I love the way you feel part of the investigation, more so than in a lot of Detective books where things are kept back from you, and particularly enjoy the regular team meetings where we get to hear people's thoughts. It is good to hear things occasionally from the killer's or victims perspective. Peter James hasn't lost it as didn't want to put this one down. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Aug 14, 2017 |
This is the thirteenth book in the popular DS Roy Grace series. Roy is in the middle of a personal crisis when he gets a call that requires his team to investigate the murder of hair dresser, Lorna Belling. At first it looks like her abusive husband committed the crime. It’s up to DS Roy Grace and his team to discover the truth. Eventually they discover more suspects than they can deal with and one member of the team gets too close.

I love the way the author alternates between Roy's personal and professional life. His relationships at work are just as interesting as his personal ones. The author gives us a large variety of suspects and compelling reasons why each can be guilty.

Peter James creates a suspenseful, thoughtful mystery with plenty of surprises. While this can be read as a standalone, I highly recommend the first book of the series [b:Dead Simple|703353|Dead Simple (Roy Grace, #1)|Peter James|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1439269103s/703353.jpg|689644], to get a feel for the characters.
  Olivermagnus | Aug 9, 2017 |
Which, I have not read any of the other novels in this series, this book can be read as a stand alone novel. My reading experience did not really suffer from having been new to this series. I say didn't really because what I got to know of Detective Roy Grace, I liked. Regarding his intelligence, it was high and on point. The dialect between him and the rest of the characters was nice. Yet, the story as a whole was fine. There was just nothing that particularly made me jump up with intrigue or go "Ah ha". Yet, I do have to comment by saying that at least there was not much or a lull in the story and therefore downtime. So this made for quick reading. I did like what I read and would go back and check out the prior novels. ( )
  Cherylk | Jul 21, 2017 |
Lorna Belling has issues. Her husband, Colin, is abusive. Her only hope is her lover, Greg, who assures her he will divorce his wife and take Lorna away from Colin.

Meanwhile she’s selling everything of value to squirrel away money to move to Australia where her sister lives, just in case. However, some guy she wants to sell her car to keeps saying he’s transferred the money through Paypal but she hasn’t received it. He keeps threatening to reveal her love affair to her husband if she doesn’t turn over the car or refund his money.

But the worst…looking at one of her beauty parlor customer’s vacation photos, she recognizes Greg and a woman, presumably his wife, lovingly looking into each other’s eyes. Realizing Greg has been lying about everything including his name, Lorna vows to ruin him. While waiting in the bathtub at their hideaway for their next tryst, she’s thinking of revenge. When he walks in she screams her intention. In a fit of rage he bashes her head against the bathtub wall, causing her to become unconscious, blood spurting everywhere. Unsure if Lorna is dead, he flees. Returning later to a corpse, he plots to incriminate Colin.

The question, not answered until the very end, is “Who is the murderer?”

Detective Superintendent Roy Grace, assigned to the case, appoints a young protege, Guy Batchelor, as Senior Investigating Officer partly because it will be good experience for Batchelor and partly because Grace will be in Germany meeting Bruno, the 10 year old son he never knew he had from his first marriage.

Need You Dead by Peter James, the thirteenth Roy Grace book after Love You Dead (all the titles in the series contain the word ‘Dead’), packs a punch. Suspects and red herrings abound and Grace, Batchelor and the investigative team follow the plentiful leads. Grace’s attention alternates between the case and the psychological impact on Bruno of his mother’s suicide and his subsequent move to England. This British police procedural has action, car chases, gory deaths and more. Something for every mystery fan.

Need You Dead is totally satisfying, although I do have one small criticism. The narrative glosses over how the murderer and Lorna originally met. James ranks with other British mystery writers such as Ian Rankin, Colin Dexter and Peter Robinson (although Need You Dead has no cold case component to it). If you’re already a Roy Grace fan or you’re looking for a new mystery series, try the Roy Grace series. At 13 books, it won’t be hard to start at the beginning and work your way through them. However, Need You Dead, stands pretty well on its own. ( )
  EdGoldberg | Jun 20, 2017 |
To Carole Blake

My absent close friend and mentor.
A brilliant star who left us too soon
You will always shine brightly in my sky
RIP
At the first salon she worked in after qualifying as a hairdresser, Lorna had a client who was an anthropologist at Sussex University.

Lorna Belling, desperate to escape the marriage from hell, falls for the charms of another man who promises her the earth. But, as Lorna finds, life seldom follows the plans you've made. A chance photograph on a client's mobile phone changes everything for her. When the body of a woman is found in a bath in Brighton, Detective Superintendent Roy Grace is called to the scene. At first it looks an open and shut case with a clear prime suspect. Then other scenarios begin to present themselves, each of them tantalizingly plausible, until, in a sudden turn of events, and to his utter disbelief, the case turns more sinister than Grace could ever have imagined.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,187,163 books! | Top bar: Always visible