I Hate Everyone But You: A Novel by Gaby…

I Hate Everyone But You: A Novel

by Gaby Dunn, Allison Raskin (Author)

I was deeply surprised at how much I enjoyed this. I try to go outside of my reading comfort zone on a regular basis just to keep my mind fresh and avoid getting stuck in a rut. This is contemporary YA and so incredibly pink. Seriously, the hardbound book is even pinker than the jacket. It is the pinkest thing I've ever allowed in my home.

It had me laughing right from the start though. It was funny. The friendship in it is incredible. Unconditional, platonic love - love regardless, love come what may. I enjoyed seeing modern epistolary with texts and emails. I love books that feature deeply flawed main characters (i.e. actual humans).

You won't be profoundly changed by this, but you will laugh and, if you're lucky, you'll have warm thoughts of your platonic significant other.**

**Actually depending on your personal experience, you may be profoundly changed or you might not laugh at all. You may not think of your best friend at all. You may not have a best friend. You may find this book hideously offensive.

I received a complimentary copy of this book via a Goodreads giveaway. Many thanks to all involved in providing me with this opportunity. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Dec 6, 2018 |
Ava Helmer and Genevieve Goldman have been best friends forever, growing up in Santa Monica, California. Now they're headed off to college--on opposite sides of the country. Ava is attending a University of California campus near home, as a film major. Gen is headed to Boston, to attend Emerson College and become a journalist.

Being Gen Z new adults, that's no reason for them not to be in constant contact with each other. They're going to document their lives, multiple times a day, in texts, emails, and Instagram.

Ava is anxious and insecure, with mental health issues she's dealt with all her life. College life creates new stresses, with a hunt for a new stable equilibrium. Gen is seemingly calmer, more confident, more outgoing--but she has her own issues, including an alcoholic father, a mother who enables him, and something I can deeply, personally relate to: Her parents, not necessarily intentionally, very much favor her younger sister. (This is not a good thing to do to either of your kids. Just saying.)

A continent apart, they go through living away from home, dorm life, first loves, and struggles with the challenges of actually pursuing their career dreams. For one of them, there's the small matter of coming out, and for the other, learning how to relate to that as an adult friend.

And they grow and change. Will their friendship survive the changes?

It's a fun book, even if I can relate to Ava's mental health issues and Gen's parent and sister issues a little too well.

Recommended if you like young adult contemporary fiction.

I bought this audiobook. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
I had so much fun reading this book! It reminded me of my best friend & I constantly, and I really appreciated the acknowledgement of the complexity of issues that first-year college students often face. From figuring out who they are in a new community, to coming out as queer to your BFF, to mental health challenges, Gaby & Alli did an incredible job of keeping the tone realistic, light-hearted, and relatable. ( )
  watersgendry | May 22, 2018 |
2.5 Stars
"Everyone always talks about the effort you have to put into a romantic relationship or a marriage, but why would a friendship be any different?"
I wanted to like this more than I did. I was all here for the format (I love stories told in emails and texts). I LOVED the clear love you can see between Ava and Gen from the beginning. And I loved the great conversational humor we get from both characters. Unfortunately, the beginning was the best part for me and it slowly went down from there.

As the story progresses, I realized I didn’t particularly care for either character - they both had their questionable moments that lead me to pull back. And we start to see more and more cracks in their friendship as well. We see them grow apart a bit, and start wondering if who they are now can still be best friends. It felt honest, which was nice, but I just started getting invested less and less. I liked that we got to see Ava openly discussing her anxiety and OCD and we got to see Gen’s exploration and realization of her sexual identity (she comes to identify as queer), but Ava was incredibly naive and insensitive about some topics (which Gen called her on). Overall, this was okay. I wish the story hadn’t peaked in the beginning for me. This was a story with some good moments, but overall a bit of a let down.

I received a copy of the book from Wednesday books via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
  LifeofaLiteraryNerd | Apr 27, 2018 |
Occasionally you read a book and the characters just spring to life, like they're just around the corner from you and you've somehow gained access to their journals, e-mails, and personal texts. This is one of those books.

Ava and Gen, childhood friends, are off to college on opposite coasts, apart for the first time since their friendship began. This, of course, presents opportunities and problems for both girls as they begin this next phase of their lives. Ava, being anxiety-ridden long before college, is having trouble entering a new chapter in her life without her one and only friend; Gen, meanwhile, is on the East coast having the absolute time of her life and learning so very much about herself... and more than a few of her new friends...

This is a clever, genuinely funny book with a casual back and forth and the witty banter that hearkens back to the best screwball comedies of the '40s that had me chuckling and snorting almost continuously throughout, then making me feel all the feels. As long as you're okay with a little bit of language and some frank talk about drug use, sexual orientation, and the acting on said orientation, I highly recommend you pick this one up. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Jan 27, 2018 |

Dunn, GabyAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Raskin, AllisonAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Thuresson, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

This debut from two emerging YA talents is told through a series of texts and emails sent between two best friends as they head off to their first semesters of college on opposite sides of the country. But as each changes and grows into her new life, will their friendship survive the distance?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,531,848 books! | Top bar: Always visible