Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Year One: Chronicles of the One, Book 1 by…

Year One: Chronicles of the One, Book 1

by Nora Roberts

Series: Chronicles of the One (1)

My review...short and not so sweet. Started out good and as a long time Nora Roberts fan (pure escape fiction when needed) I was excited to read something different from her. However...I found the plot similar to several other books I’ve read but not in a good way. I might finish if it was the only one book but do I want to invest the time needed for a trilogy. Doubt it. So why finish book one. ( )
  NHNick | Jan 29, 2019 |
This is the first book i have ever read by this Author, but it won't be the last. An absorbing entertaining story gripping from the first to last page, and I look forward to the next installment of the series. Imaginative descriptive with excellent characterization and plenty of action throughout.
Highly recommended. ( )
  Gudasnu | Jan 15, 2019 |
There are a lot of reviews talking about how this is a different style for Nora Roberts, but I've only read her dark fantasy trilogies like Three Sisters Island, the Cousins O'Dwyer, and the Gallaghers of Ardmore so this book is pretty much how I perceive Ms. Roberts' writing. It has all the magickal elements of those other books along with some Celtic legends.
As always, her writing is lovely, drawing the reader into the characters and settings effortlessly. There's a lot of characters to follow, each with different and fascinating stories of their own. Lana is probably the main focus, but I enjoyed reading about Fred, Arlie, Poe, Flynn, and many others. They all contribute some light in a dark fantasy world where the some of the worst of mankind and Fairie combine after a disease called the Doom wipes out most of mankind.
The Tuatha de Danann have risen after a sacred stone circle is defiled. The world they create out of the wreckage of the Doom is dystopian with only a few places of goodness. Lana and her mate Max must find a safe place to live and raise their family. New York City has been overtaken by gangs and evil creatures so they head west, hoping to find a refuge in the Midwest.
I found the story a real pageturner and I'm excited that the second book of the series is out so I can continue this amazing journey. ( )
  N.W.Moors | Jan 1, 2019 |
Some time ago, a friend told me about the In Death series written by Nora Roberts under the pseudonym of J.D. Robb, and I decided to give it a try, but unfortunately the story did not work for me: I found that the author favored some telling over showing and often indulged in sudden changes of p.o.v., a technique I don’t exactly approve of. Nothing wrong with either practice, granted, but to me they spoil the enjoyment of a story, so that I moved on – that is, until I saw this book mentioned on a fellow blogger’s post.

Post-apocalyptic scenarios always fascinated me, so I found the premise for Year One quite irresistible, enough to silence any residual misgivings coming from my previous experience. Once again, though, I must give in to the realization that Ms. Roberts’ writing is not my cup of tea…

As I said the premise is intriguing and the novel starts with great momentum: what looks like a strain of avian flu sweeps like wildfire across the world, with a staggering mortality rate. The descriptions of the rapid spread of infection, aided by the worldwide transport network, reminded me of the initial scenes of the '70s BBC classic Survivors, in my opinion one of the staples of the post-apocalyptic genre, and the ensuing, inevitable collapse of infrastructures all over the world is painted in dramatic flashes that focus on the main characters’ lives and the way they deal with the end of the world.

At some point, however, Ms. Roberts decided to introduce a magical element, something that literally came out of the blue with little or no explanation other than it was a by-product of the pandemic: people start to exhibit peculiar abilities – like lighting fires or flying – and those few who already possessed some, discover that these abilities are enhanced and growing every day. It was somehow jarring, I’ll admit it, because in my opinion this element had little or no place in the description of the end of the world as we know it, but I decided to take it in stride and see how it would develop. Sadly, it failed to integrate with the rest of the narrative, in my opinion, in great measure because I kept seeing it as a mashup of incompatible themes: as a civilization literally falls, the appearance of ladies riding unicorns or Tinkerbell-like pixies (I kid you not…) takes away the drama from the depicted events and becomes dangerously close to ludicrous, and just as unbelievable as character Lana, who “graduates” from lighting candles with her mind to shifting heavy objects (like a moving bridge) with no explanation whatsoever for this amazing escalation.

This alone should not have been enough to stop me from forging on, particularly because the few ominous mentions of immune people being rounded up and disappearing from the face of the Earth - probably being experimented on in search of a cure - added a new, scary facet to the overall drama, as did the mounting violence that always comes when social infrastructures weaken or cease to exist. Still, problems kept piling up: for example, in this novel people seem to be divided into two groups, the 'good guys', who are unfailingly, immutably good; and the bad ones, who are irredeemably evil. There is no space for gray areas, for people wavering between the brutal needs for survival and the tenets of humanity, and this robs characters of believability, transforming them into cardboard cutouts instead of the flesh-and-blood people I always want to care for (or even hate, why not?) in a book.

And again, some behavioral choices don't add up when compared with the seriousness of the situation, so that they strike a jarring note I was unable to ignore. Some examples? Lovers Lana and Max are preparing to leave New York city, before it becomes to late for that, and they gather some necessary items for the road: when going out to procure a couple of backpacks, Max comes back with an appropriate camouflage-colored one for himself, and a pink-hued one for Lana, as a cute gesture - because of course if one wants to avoid calling attention to themselves, pink is the perfect choice, and you need to be cute when the end of the world draws near! Or take the example of journalist Arlys and her intern Fred (i.e. Miss "Hey, I'm a pixie! Cool!") who are leaving as well, knowing they might be hunted down for a number of reason I won't list here: as they grab what supplies they can, Fred adds makeup items to their stores, as if unwilling to face the end of the world without looking at their best. Seriously?

Add to that a few obvious plot devices, or some dialogues that are at times quite cringe-worthy and you have the perfect recipe for a huge disappointment: I had tried very hard not to compare Year One to my favorite novels on this subject, Stephen King's The Stand and Robert McCammon's Swan Song, but at some point it was impossible not to, and this novel came up quite short of the mark, so I gave up the struggle at around 50% of the road.

Originally posted at SPACE and SORCERY BLOG
  SpaceandSorcery | Dec 25, 2018 |
I finally finished this book and here is what I have to say: Stilted dialogue with absolutely no feeling -described or otherwise, shallow cliched characters, a storyline seemingly stolen from several other very popular authors -the only difference is is that magic is thrown in. Plot devises that make one cringe with the triteness of it: ie - letting the reader believe the big bad is gone when the reader knows that it is just a lie, that it was just too easy of a kill.

All I could do as I was reading this expensive book, is to pray it would be a quick read and fantasize about the lots of the other books this was taken from. 12.99 is a lot to pay for a book that couldn't get me out of my own life and into the fantasy of the novel. Next time the library!

The rest you will read below are my feelings from when the book was announced until I started reading it yesterday.

I'm in the first quarter of this book and except for one twist with the plot, all I can think of is like I say at the bottom of this review -when I first read the synopsis of this book-Stephen King (The Stand) Robert McCammon (Swan Song) and Ilona Andrews -with a touch of some old time TV cliches thrown in for good measure. Maybe some Laurrell Hamilton -Merry Gentry series (not for the sex) thrown in for good measure.

Perhaps if I hadn't read so much; if I were younger these things wouldn't bother me so, but they do and I can't help but compare all of these works.

So far this book is good (the first quarter) and Nora has stopped doing that thing she has been doing with the last few books -having the main characters speak in 'instant messaging or text' speak and thank goodness for this. (sorry spoke too soon -Nora has reverted back to text speak without the emoticons for her characters)

What is bothering me the most is that the main (or what I think of as main characters) Lana and Max are so cliched and if one couldn't see what happened with Max's brother Eric (spelling? I'm too lazy to go look it up now sorry!) and Allegra coming a mile away then you are ...well I won't go there.
spoiler: a baby to save them??? oh for cripes sake Cliche squared

spoiler: Don't fall in love with Max

I really disliked this book because of the comparisons I had to keep making to the other books this one copied, it kept pulling me out of the story - But I hate to say it, I will most likely read the last two books just to see what happens...though I will get copies from my library and NOT be buying my own and padding her pockets.

I wrote this part, what you see below, when I first read the description of this book, I had hoped that the description was incorrect, but it was not.

A cross between Ilona Andrews, Kate Daniel's series and Stephen Kings, The Stand and Swan Song? Although I'm going to read this, I don't like the idea of Nora Roberts 'borrowing' so heavily from other author's. A little over-lapping of themes is understandable since certain ones are so popular, but this blatantly (or as blatantly as the synopsis makes this book sound) isn't cool. ( )
1 vote Cats57 | Dec 12, 2018 |

Nora Robertsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When Ross MacLeod pulled the trigger and brought down the pheasant, he had no way of knowing he’d killed himself. And billions of others.

"It began on New Year's Eve. The sickness came on suddenly, and spread quickly. The fear spread even faster. Within weeks, everything people counted on began to fail them. The electrical grid sputtered; law and government collapsed--and more than half of the world's population was decimated. Where there had been order, there was now chaos. And as the power of science and technology receded, magic rose up in its place. Some of it is good, like the witchcraft worked by Lana Bingham, practicing in the loft apartment she shares with her lover, Max. Some of it is unimaginably evil, and it can lurk anywhere, around a corner, in fetid tunnels beneath the river--or in the ones you know and love the most"--|cProvided by publisher.… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Nora Roberts's book Year One was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,476,488 books! | Top bar: Always visible