Aura of Magic by Patricia Rice

Aura of Magic (2017)

by Patricia Rice

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I love this intriguing family, the series is brilliant and captivating. This story is highly amusing. Pascoe being oblivious about his "gift", and his childrens, is cause for much entertainment. You would think that with his family it would be a no brainer. But other than that, he is smart, charming, dedicated, determined and caring. Bridey is determined, funny and stubborn. The drama that the twins cause is unique and entertaining. The storyline is engrossing and suspenseful and the end is satisfying. Put this one on the top of your TBR list.
I received a complimentary copy of this book from LibraryThing. This is my voluntary and honest opinion of it. ( )
  duelalias | Apr 23, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed this fourth book in the series as much as I have enjoyed the first three of them. This one was once again a great combination of romance, mystery,a little bit of fun and of course some magic. I highly recommend this series and I suggest starting at the beginning and you will not be disappointed. I cannot wait for the next one!! ( )
  lulu150 | Apr 18, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book through LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program in exchange for a fair and honest review.

When I received this book, I decided to go back to the start of the series on the Malcolm women and their Ives men and have therefore thoroughly enjoyed the last week as I have reveled in virile perfect men and witchy bewitching women. I enjoy the humour that pervades these books and the fun that the author has with her witchy premises as she intermixes them with the developing sciences of the Ives men. It is also a pleasure to read historical romances set outside the Regency and Victorian eras, especially when the author describes the clothing so well and accurately that I found myself found fact-checking the details then wondering if she had used the same websites (and yes, I am aware that not every one who reads historical romances does this!).

This latest installment in the ongoing series is particularly satisfying as it combines previous characters and their romances with Patricia Rice's trademark light affectionate touches with a nicely acerbic heroine and an urbane hero fast losing his urbanity as he faces the dilemma of prioritising his responsibilities to his family and to his country. It also develops the theme of the Malcolm witchiness and its undercurrent of valuing unique abilities in the face of scorn and disbelief. I appreciated the historical accuracy with which Bridey's healing and midwifery skills were cast against the developing fields of medicine and science and the older views of religion and superstition. Of course, all of this can be ignored in favour of a well written and thoroughly enjoyable historical romance but it is a real pleasure to have a light airy weekend read with some very interesting undercurrents which are as relevant to today's world as they were to the 1830s of this novel's setting. I look forward to the next book in this ongoing series. ( )
  flusteredduck | Apr 14, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I liked this one - the characters felt very solid, with solid motivations drawing them in their various directions. Pascoe's hardheadedness got a little much at times, particularly when he was smelling emotions and identifying them as such, but he wasn't totally stubborn. The twins are...not quite amusing, since their actions tend to scare everyone a little much - but trying to get sense out of them, those scenes were quite funny. And Bridey's stubbornness is in quite another direction; what she must do, what she wants to do, what she can do that don't quite overlap. The only problem I have with this series is that _everyone_ seems to have a power, in every family that touches the Malcolm/Ives family. I'd like to see one where a love interest _doesn't_ have a power and doesn't need one to deal with their love. Enjoyable, worth reading, possibly worth rereading. Next please! ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Apr 13, 2017 |
Aura of Magic: Unexpected Magic Book 4 by Patricia Rice

Ms. Rice has once again given a lovely story romp through the lives of the Malcolm and Ives clans. In this, the fourth of the Unexpected Magic series, illegitimate son, Pascoe Ives, and his adorable twins encounter Bridey Carstairs, former countess and suspected witch. With the kingdom's factories on the line and the King's godsons in danger, Bridey and Pascoe must find a way to stop an entire town from revolting and a murderer from succeeding with his plans. Of course Pascoe and Bridey can't have all of the fun - the Malcolm women and the Ives men put in an appearance.

Another great installment in the series, I would highly recommend Aura of Magic to anyone who enjoys historical romance with a hint of the paranormal.
I received a copy of this book in return for an honest review. ( )
  erinvanderleest | Apr 9, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Patricia Rice's book Aura of Magic is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,439,848 books! | Top bar: Always visible