The Deep Dark Descending by Allen Eskens

The Deep Dark Descending

by Allen Eskens

This is a great book! It came recommended from Goodreads friends and I am so glad I read the books in this series. I was hooked from the beginning and loved experiencing the struggle Max Rupert went through. It had the perfect amount of mystery too. ( )
  clp412 | Mar 21, 2018 |
This book has a great mysterious-sounding title. And THE DEEP DARK DESCENDING really is a mystery. But it lacks suspense and is not a thriller.

You might want to finish reading this just to find out what the main character discovers. But his process of discovery may bore you. ( )
  techeditor | Nov 2, 2017 |
“The Deep Dark Descending” grabbed me from the very first sentence: “I raise the ax handle for the third time and my arm disobeys me.” True, it could be a thought of a person chopping wood – but odds are there is serious violence going on.

The main character, Detective Max Rupert, lost his wife years ago – but has never recovered from the loss. He’s survived in the most basic sense of the word – but has neither healed nor stopped grieving. When he is unexpectedly given new information about what he’d thought was the hit and run that killed his wife – the darkness and pain envelops him and overtakes his life and career.

The shifting timelines keep the reader guessing as to how he ended up holding an ax handle over a beaten man – and where that situation might lead…but there is definitely a sag in the tension as that scene goes on and on. (Too many holes to make!)

The pain that Max still feels so strongly about the loss of his wife Jenni comes across so strongly that it brought tears to my eyes at one point. His love for her is as strong, if not stronger than it was before her death. And as he learns more about her final hours, and what circumstances caused her death – the pain and grief grow.

I was surprised by the ultimate ending. The final plot points got a bit cluttered – but as the reader sees where Max is going – and then see what he is like when he gets there – the book takes on a whole new level. This novel’s look at revenge versus justice and what one or the other does to a person wanting both is fascinating and left me wondering what others might do in Max’s situation. ( )
  karieh | Oct 12, 2017 |
How strong are your morals? Opinions on vigilante pay backs? All these questions and more are at the forefront of this strong character driven novel. Max Rupert, his beloved wife killed ,thought to be an accident. But, was it? Brought into a case about a young girls murder, Max finds out things, that may connect this case to his wife's death. What to do, what would you do?

We get the full flavor of a complicated, many faceted character, a character who is a police officer, sworn to uphold truth and justice. It is a slow uncovering, of following threads, clues and a great deal of mental pondering. At times it was violently graphic not blood and guts,just a small warning. So good though, with thoughts that take us back to small offerings of Max's back story. His partner Nikki, who wants nothing more than to stand by him regardless of where this takes him. He takes on someone out to out both him and Nikki, a power hungry superior. The steps he takes will change his life and leaves the reader wondering what comes next for this intriguing character.

ARC from Edelweiss. ( )
  Beamis12 | Oct 4, 2017 |
I first 'discovered' Allen Eskens in 2015 when I was lucky enough to review his first novel, The Life We Bury. I thought it was fantastic and couldn't wait to read more of his work.

Eskens' fourth book, The Deep Dark Descending, releases today - and it too, is a five star read for me.

Detective Max Rupert has figured into all four of Eskens' books. The Deep Dark Descending finally provides the answer to a question that has haunted Rupert for years - who killed his wife? (And it is here that I will say, yes you could probably read this latest as a stand-alone, but you would be robbing yourself of some great reading if you didn't start with the first book. Just sayin')

Eskens uses one of my favourite story telling techniques - then and now, back and forth. It's a short then and now - only over the course of three days - from knowledge to finale. Rupert sees himself as a law abiding, good man, but the need for revenge and retribution has taken the upper hand. Deep Dark Descending opens with an action filled scene on the frozen ice between Canada and the US. One man ready to kill another.....and then we are taken back to the what that led to this moment. The reader does know that these two paths will cross in the end, but the telling in between is so very, very good.

The plotting, mystery and police details are believable, the action non-stop, the dialogue flows easily
the characters have depth and the reader cannot help but be on their side. The book had a bit of a movie feel to it and I can see it easily on the screen. I really like Max's partner Niki as well. She's tough as nails with a sharp tongue and mind and fiercely loyal to Max.

I feel gutted that this might be the last we see of Max Rupert, but my fingers are crossed for more. A note at the end of this book says that a 2018 novel will be the follow up to The Life We Bury. Yay! I'll be watching for it. ( )
  Twink | Oct 3, 2017 |

"A homicide detective hunts down his wife's killers while struggling between his thirst for revenge and a twinge of conscience forbidding him to take the law into his own hands"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,010,675 books! | Top bar: Always visible