The Liar in the Library by Simon Brett

The Liar in the Library

by Simon Brett

193754,513 (3.6)3

Another lovely outing in the Fethering series with Jude and Carole. In this one Jude becomes a victim of lies told by some one she knew 20 years earlier, and then the prime suspect in the murder of her former friend's husband. After some initial sleuthing she is warned off doing any more by the police and has to hand everything over to Carole.

This is a series I have really enjoyed. Simon Brett has been publishing them now for 18 years. If you have not read any of them, I suggest you start with #1 ( )
  smik | Jun 20, 2018 |
At first I thought that this was the first instalment in a series then discovered it was the 20th. It was a bit hard to understand some of the characters background and the story was quite a classic one without any surprise.
I think I will go back and read the previous books as I am curious even if this one was not my cup of tea.
Many thanks to Netgalley and Severn House ( )
  annarellix | Jan 31, 2018 |
This was the first book that I have read in the Fethering series. Even though this is Book #18, I was easily able to read this as a stand alone mystery. The characters of Jude and Carole are well established, and the particulars of the new mystery swirl around their lives in a logical and plausible manner. There is a murder that takes places outside the Fetherling Library, involving the author who was featured in the evening event. This author, Burton St. Clair, is murdered. One of the main characters, Jude, becomes the main suspect as she was last seen with Burton.

I enjoyed the investigation into the murder, and the interviews conducted by either Carole or Jude are entertaining. This is a delightful quick read, and it was perfect for a light hearted weekend afternoon. This is definitely a book, and a series, that I will now be able to wholeheartedly recommend to friends and family.

Thank you to netgalley for providing an eARC of The Liar in the Library in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  MNTreehugger | Oct 21, 2017 |

"When a talk by successful author Burton St Clair at Fethering Library ends in sudden, violent death, Jude finds herself the prime suspect in the ensuing murder investigation. She must enlist the help of her neighbour Carole not just to solve the crime, but to prove she didn't commit it"--Publisher's description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,816,557 books! | Top bar: Always visible