Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Saints and Misfits by S. K. Ali

Saints and Misfits

by S. K. Ali

For anyone interested: this is a free read on http://rivetedlit.com until April 22th

RTC someday hopefully.. But this book managed to break my heart and then pick it up again..

TW: sexual assault ( )
  localbeehunter | Jan 15, 2019 |
Premise sounded interesting. Young Muslim women navigating the way through the world, wearing a hijab and just doing what many teenagers do. Unfortunately there is also a very dark aspect to this coming of age story as she has to deal with a sexual predator who is seen in the community as a great guy (aren't they all...). And to complicate things, there's a boy.

It sounded like an interesting story and it was time to switch it up with some YA. Ali's voice is pretty engaging and as a character Janna was someone I was rooting for. But the story is pretty boring. Initially I was intrigued by it but it just got a little grating and I wasn't particularly compelled to read more.

As several other people note, there are various plot threads that are left unresolved (and while Janna gets some closure regarding the sexual predator, another character makes the point that he'll likely strike again). Some I could understand since sometimes these things don't get resolved or can't really be really resolved within the span of one book but it was still disappointing.

It wasn't the worst read but it wasn't the best either. I got it as a bargain read and that might have been best. ( )
  acciolibros | Jul 20, 2018 |
Diverse books are always a hit or miss. I don’t think I’ve ever read a “meh” diverse books. They’re usually very good or very bad, so I’m always hesitant at picking them up from the library. That being said, I’m glad I picked up this book.

Right off the bat Janna is such a likeable character. She’s quirky but realistic. She comes off as someone you could know and relate to and she’s not a sulking mess. She’s an accurate portrayal of today’s Muslim youth: a little confused but trying to make their way through it. At some points in the novel I was why she would make such bad decision but I realized that everyone make’s menial mistakes and there’s probably someone out in the world that did the exact same thing.

The subject matter in the book is heavy. Sexual assault is not something that is openly discussed in many muslim households and its difficult to live with something like that if you can’t tell anyone. The situation gets worse when the attacker is a supposedly “pious” Muslim man with a very clean reputation. This book serves as a reminder that no matter how religious someone is, only their actions can determine how they really are.

Final thoughts: A great book that everyone should read. Balances light humour well with a heavy subject matter and does a great job at representation. Pick up as your new contemporary read!

(Originally posted here: willreadanything.wordpress.com ) ( )
  willreadanything | Apr 14, 2018 |
Muslim, sexual abuse, intimidation, hijab, friends, friendship, family, family relationships, divorce, faith, religion, dating, caregiver, older friend, audiobook (bad), fear, trust, brother, sibling relationships, realistic fiction, diverse, secular, young adult ( )
  SGKowalski | Oct 11, 2017 |
During a party at a friend's house, a boy of her acquaintance attempts to rape Janna. He runs off when an adult rattles the doorknob, but only he and Janna know what happened. During the next few months, Janna wrestles with her feelings about the incident: should she tell someone? Confront her attacker? What if nobody believes her? The boy in question is popular with both peers and adults, and is respected at the mosque that both his family and Janna's attend. And, though she knows in her head that the incident wasn't her fault, Janna still feels guilty and powerless. Can she find a way to take control of the situation? Meanwhile, life goes on: finals at school, mean girl drama, participation in a quiz bowl, and a crush on a non-Muslim boy are all vying for Janna's attention.

This is a well-written and engaging book, and I'd recommend it to readers who enjoy realistic YA fiction. ( )
  foggidawn | Sep 16, 2017 |

Fifteen-year-old Janna Yusuf, a Flannery O'Connor-obsessed book nerd and the daughter of the only divorced mother at their mosque, tries to make sense of the events that follow when her best friend's cousin--a holy star in the Muslim community--attempts to assault her at the end of sophomore year.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,488,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible