Proof of Life by J. A. Jance

Proof of Life

by J. A. Jance

Series: J. P. Beaumont (23)

Very good entry into this consistently fine series. Beau is trying to be helpful and wanders into a quagmire of murders, drugs and spousal abuse. He and Mel do some dog sitting and Rambo changes their lifestyle. Fast-paced, coherent and interesting as we have come to expect from this excellent author. ( )
  jamespurcell | Jul 1, 2018 |
I received this book from Goodreads as an ARC, and although mysteries are my favorite genre - I was a bit bored with this mystery. Having lived in Seattle, I was familiar with the locations that were the setting of the book, but the pace was too slow for me. A retired police officer gets asked to investigate a murder (not exactly original), and if you are expecting a thriller or an exciting page-turner, this is not the book for you. The writing is decent for the most part, but I found finishing the book not that enticing. There were also several situations that I would have to say were implausible - one was the rescue Wolfhound that is highly trained in obedience (hounds are not obedience material), and the other situation is the author's statement that the Puget Sound area is not cold. It will in fact freeze the nether regions off a brass monkey. ( )
  kerryp | Mar 6, 2018 |
I don't like to read about characters who find a dog foisted upon them they did not want and are unable to control the situation. Futile efforts to deal with an eminently solvable conundrum does not make very interesting reading. Jance's J. P. Beaumont series is one of my favorites but when she introduced this plot device it seemed inconsistent with the Beaumont and Soames long-time readers have come to know. Fortunately, while it was not their desire to take responsibility for Rambo nee Lucy, Beaumont and Soames are up to the task. Jance nicely integrates Lucy into the plot into a meaningful way instead of just using the dog conundrum for cheap laughs.

J. P. Beaumont is now retired and Mel Soames has become the chief of the Bellingham police department. That requires some background to orient readers to their new situation: approximately 80 pages of relatively melancholy background as it turns out. The story drags during that early going pick up somewhat after that. Still, it's not the Beaumont/Soames offering we have come to anticipate.

Jance has devoted more time to her Joanna Brady and Ali Reynolds series in recent years. These characters are located in the warm, dry, sunny Southwest and in this book you can see further evidence of Jance detaching from Seattle and the Pacific Northwest. I found the grousing about the traffic and the rain to be somewhat jarring and out of character for the Beaumont series. Those of us who live here recognize those conditions as genuine but the early emphasis on these shortcomings in Proof of Life is decidedly more downbeat than in the past J. P. Beaumont offerings.

The story does not really begin to satisfy until the last third when Mel joins J. P. in attempting to bring the culprits to justice. For a relatively brief time it brings the old time pleasure. Unfortunately, the climax occurs over 50 pages from the end of the book and the remainder invoves the somewhat anticlimactic typing up of loose ends.

This is a below average offering in the J. P. Beaumont series. However, Jance signals a change at the end that raises the possibility of a return to the J. P. of old. That would be great. ( )
  Tatoosh | Jan 20, 2018 |
Hurray, another JP Beaumont book. For any lover of Seattle, this series not only incorporates well-known landmarks but has a plausible interesting plot. ( )
  brangwinn | Dec 20, 2017 |
JP Beaumont, retired cop has volunteered to help a friend solve a murder that the police say is an accidental death. ( )
  pgabj | Oct 5, 2017 |

J. A. Janceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sklar, AlanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"Before he retired, J. P. Beaumont had looked forward to having his days all to himself. But too much free time doesn't suit a man used to brushing close to danger. When his longtime nemesis, retired Seattle crime reporter Maxwell Cole, dies in whats officially deemed to be an accidental fire, Beau is astonished to be dragged into the investigation at the request of none other than the deceased victim himself. In the process Beau learns that just because a long-ago case was solved doesn't mean it's over. Caught up in a situation where old actions and grudges can hold dangerous consequences in the present, Beau is forced to operate outside the familiar world of law enforcement. While seeking justice for his frenemy and healing for a long fractured family, he comes face to face with an implacable enemy who has spent decades hiding in plain sight." -- From publisher's description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,033,154 books! | Top bar: Always visible