Warcross by Marie Lu

Authors:Marie Lu (Author)
Info:G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers (2017), 368 pages
Collections:Battle of the Books Covers, New Books

Warcross by Marie Lu

The Eye of Minds by James Dashner (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Three of the best players of the virtual world in this book are tasked with finding the person that has been sabotaging the game. It has similar elements of gameplay but more friendships and bonding than Warcross.

I enjoyed the first two thirds of this book very much! It is well written, and I liked the main characters instantly. The end, though, was a complete surprise to me, and regrettably I did not like this twist in the plot. Nevertheless, I am curious how the story will evolve in the second volume. And one is always free to imagine alternative endings... ( )
  Dariah | Mar 4, 2019 |
I liked this book. Wasn’t as enamored with it as so many seem to be but still a fun read.
Marie Lu has a no nonsense writing style, she doesn't try to fill up space with a lot of excess words, she gets to the story line and uses the right amount of words to make her visual description, I like that. The story was good, games that are accessed through the mind, I remember a similar book from the 80’s that has the same concept of being hooked up to the game and your mind was the controller. So not a new concept but always a fun one to read. The unfortunate thing is that I guessed correctly how the book was ending before the ending.
You know the feeling … the who did it was not at all exciting because you already had it figured out. Yeah I hate that feeling…. It’s like, I read the last chapter before reading the book.
I don’t think I’ll read the next book, unless it has the most outstanding cover, I’ll just pass.
I like me a book with a purty cover…………….
  greergreer | Mar 1, 2019 |
Everyone plays 'Warcross'. It is the centerpiece of the virtual reality headsets that have transformed how people interact with each other - across the globe, in public and private.

Emika Chen is a teenage hacker who tries to make ends meet with bounty hunting. Like seemingly everyone else, she is obsessed with Warcross and spends all her spare time playing. Everything changes when Emika tries out a new hack during a qualifying match for the Warcross Quidditch cup or whatever and winds up as a minor celebrity when she's caught in the act.

Her stunt lands her a job with the corporation that invented Warcross and the mysterious young CEO enlists her aid in stopping a shadowy group of terrorist hackers.

There are elements to this book that definitely do not work, but Lu creates a techno-thriller that's perfect for young readers. The blow-by-blows of the games, the intrigues on the dance-floor, and a little bit of romance enhance a surprisingly engaging plot.

Warcross

Next: 'Wildcard' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 19, 2019 |
Very cool book ( )
  cupcakeclark | Jan 2, 2019 |
I went into this hoping it would be good, but not expecting a lot and it blew me away. This is one of those books that I couldn't even stop to take notes during because I was so enthralled. I had to put it down a few times just to breathe. I adored this story every step of the way, but the end wrecked me. I had predicted half of the twist, but didn't see the other half coming. I'm really intrigued to see how Lu continues this series! ( )
  samesfoley | Dec 26, 2018 |
It's too damn cold of a day to be out on a hunt.

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Marie Lu—when a game called Warcross takes the world by storm, one girl hacks her way into its dangerous depths.

For the millions who log in every day, Warcross isn’t just a game—it’s a way of life. The obsession started ten years ago and its fan base now spans the globe, some eager to escape from reality and others hoping to make a profit. Struggling to make ends meet, teenage hacker Emika Chen works as a bounty hunter, tracking down players who bet on the game illegally. But the bounty-hunting world is a competitive one, and survival has not been easy. Needing to make some quick cash, Emika takes a risk and hacks into the opening game of the international Warcross Championships—only to accidentally glitch herself into the action and become an overnight sensation.

Convinced she’s going to be arrested, Emika is shocked when instead she gets a call from the game’s creator, the elusive young billionaire Hideo Tanaka, with an irresistible offer. He needs a spy on the inside of this year’s tournament in order to uncover a security problem . . . and he wants Emika for the job. With no time to lose, Emika’s whisked off to Tokyo and thrust into a world of fame and fortune that she’s only dreamed of. But soon her investigation uncovers a sinister plot, with major consequences for the entire Warcross empire.

In this sci-fi thriller, #1 New York Times bestselling author Marie Lu conjures an immersive, exhilarating world where choosing who to trust may be the biggest gamble of all.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 18 Mar 2017 23:13:46 -0400)

"When teenage coder Emika Chen hacks her way into the opening tournament of the Warcross Championships, she glitches herself into the game as well as a sinister plot with major consequences for the entire Warcross empire"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,417,966 books! | Top bar: Always visible