Voyager by Diana Gabaldon

Voyager (1994)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (3)

English (90)  German (2)  All languages (92)
This book left me a bit dizzy. There is so much going on that I barely had time to draw breath. I wish that Gabaldon would have focused a bit more on Claire and Jamie after Claire arrives back in time, but we are instead spirited away by a panoply of plot twists. Gabaldon's books are amazing yet frustrating at times. Just when you think that the characters will have a bit of peace and happiness, a disaster of immense proportions unfolds. Or they are recovering from said disaster. However, very small complaints aside, her books are almost perfectly crafted in terms of style, tone, characterization, and verve. I am almost finished with Drums of Autumn, and can't wait to read the rest of the series. ( )
  silva_44 | Jan 9, 2015 |
This is the best series I have ever read. It keeps the pages turning and never leaves you hanging!
  yankeelove | Dec 28, 2014 |
Ok this book was easy to read at first. there are chapters that seem to be added only to make this book longer. Over a 1000 pages, really this book could have been about 500 pages and still got the same affect. However I hate putting books down unfinished so I kept reading. The last 200 pages was the hardest for me. Just didn't need to be in the book. ( )
  Calisandria | Dec 17, 2014 |
These books are really quite addictive. They need better editing, IMO, but they are fun stories. ( )
  hoosgracie | Nov 21, 2014 |
I enjoyed this immensely, and Outlander continues to be my favorite go-to series for car-bound audiobooks. Everything I loved about the other books was in here. Lots of new places to see, complicated money-making schemes, and lots and lots and lots of Jamie and Claire, which is my favorite part. Oddly, I think I enjoyed the Atlantic voyage the most, and long boat voyages are usually the worst part of any book.

Apart from everything I expected, I think my favorite part here was probably Fergus. I can't wait to read more about him as an adult.

Having said that, I think I enjoyed the second novel more. The first had a lot of instances of Jamie telling Claire not to do something extremely ill-advised, then Claire doing it anyway. Everyone gets into trouble, prisons were involved, lots of drama and life-or-death stuff... all because Claire seemed (to me) to lack common sense.

This came back here, most notably when she boards the Dolphin. Why would she do that?! I get that she has a compulsion to heal, but was she not just panicking about the ship stealing much-needed members of their crew? And it led to a huge nest of problems, the way that the problems in the first book did.

Admittedly, Voyager had less bad decisions than Outlander, but seemed to put Jamie and Claire at the mercy of highly improbable circumstance more often. I liked Dragonfly in Amber, because there was more common sense and a more natural progression of events as results of their sensible actions. Here... I don't know, mysterious gold on an island? And pirates just happen to come by right then? And the gold belongs to her? And that ties into the world of the 60s? And they jump overboard on separate ships but wind up together... ugh. I tend to hate stuff like that, but I forgive Voyager, because I like so much else about it. I think it bothers me more here because this is such a good book, and I like the characters a lot more. And admittedly, that was an awesome character, and I was happy to see them back.

I may complain, but I adored this novel, and I can't wait to read Drums of Autumn. I'm somewhat hesitant of the new setting, but I'll probably wind up loving it just as much. ( )
  ConnieJo | Oct 18, 2014 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Many a Highland chieftain fought,
Many a gallant man did fall.
Death itself was dearly bought,
All for Scotland's King and law.
- "Will Ye No Come Back Again"
To my children, Laura Juliet, Samuel Gordon, and Jennifer Rose, Who gave me the heart, the blood, and the bones of this book.
Prologue

When I was small, I never wanted to step in puddles.

In this rich, vibrant tale, Diana Gabaldon continues the story of Claire Randall and Jamie Fraser that began with the now-classic novel Outlander and continued in Dragonfly in Amber. Sweeping us from the battlefields of eighteenth-century Scotland to the exotic West Indies, Diana Gabaldon weaves magic once again in an exhilarating and utterly unforgettable novel....

Their love affair happened long ago by whatever measurement Claire Randall took. Two decades before, she had traveled back in time and into the arms of a gallant eighteenth-century Scot named Jamie Fraser. Then she returned to her own century to bear his child, believing him dead in the tragic battle of Culloden. Yet his memory has never lessened its hold on her ... and her body still cries out for him in her dreams.

When she discovers that Jamie may have survived, Claire must choose her destiny. And as time and space come full circle, she must find the courage to face what awaits her ... the deadly intrigues raging in a divided Scotland ... and the daring voyage into the dark unknown that lies beyond the standing stones.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:41 -0400)

Two decades later, for a second time, Claire Randall travels back to eighteenth-century Scotland to be reunited with Jamie, the man she cannot forget.Time-travelling Claire Randall returns to her own time, pregnant and weary, and resumes her life, but her memories of her eighteenth-century Scottish lover Jamie Fraser will not die, leading her to a desperate decision to return to him.… (more)

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,652,762 books! | Top bar: Always visible