Voyager by Diana Gabaldon

Voyager (1994)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (3)

English (93)  German (2)  All languages (95)
The more I read this series, the more I become convinced of Diana Gabaldon's ingeniousness. The story's detailed and intelligent storytelling, evil scheming, dirty politics and crazy conspiracy theories do not fall far behind from George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire in its aptitude of brilliance.

Jamie and Claire are the most interesting and lovable characters - Claire with her incredible courage and ability to get herself into trouble only by breathing, and Jamie - with his huge heart, loyalty and a darkness that doesn't get in the way of things.

I can't get enough of it. ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |
Trigger warning for sexual abuse, child abuse and rape.

When last we left Claire and Jamie, the battle of Culloden was about to begin and fearing for the safety of Claire and the child Jamie encourages Claire to pass through the stones for a second time. It will be twenty years before the two star crossed lovers see each other again and of course, the path of true love most certainly cannot run smoothly.

I don't even know where to being with this review because having read Dragonfly in Amber, I sincerely thought this series couldn't get in any worse but more fool me. The Outlander series has always necessitated suspending belief, otherwise the very premise - a woman traveling through the stones and ending up 200 years in the past would be a non starter. There is only so far an author can ask a reader to do this and Gabaldon moves well beyond this point with Voyager. Too many improbable incidents happen throughout the novel which of course, Jamie and Claire just magically manage to escape from, along with far too many ridiculous interactions with characters from the past. The number of coincidences and repeat meetings are outright ridiculous:
Jamie and Claire just happen to run into a minister who is a serial killer of prostitutes
Claire gets shipwrecked and just happens to run into a scientist Jamie met in Scotland.
Jamie marries the woman who tried to have Claire killed
Geillies Duncan isn't really dead and shows up long enough to be evil and inspire a slave rebellion
Lord Grey who is still in love with Jamie, first works as the warden of the prison Jamie is kept in and then just happens to be posted to Jamaica, as governor, at the moment that Claire and Jamie really need official help.
The hurricane which sinks the man-o-war which is chasing Jamie and Claire's boat and just happens to carry them 600 miles across the ocean to America
I could have taken the journey had any of these leaps made any kind of logical sense but it all came down to believe this shite because Gabaldon wrote it.

One of the things I learned reading Voyager, is that one of the worst things a woman can do as she ages is get fat. The requirement of thinness of course makes Claire (oh she of the perfect, ever so white skin) stand out and in case you are in any doubt at all, Jamie makes sure to tell Claire so repeatedly. A little thing like medicine and the proper nutrition of the twentieth century didn't give Claire the advantage did it? Women pale in Claire's shadow and most certainly, Laoghaire and Geillis Duncan.

First, it's worth mentioning that the fact that Jamie just happened to marry Laoghaire, who tried to have Claire murdered, is ridiculous but I suppose that Gabaldon felt that all ties with Scotland had to be neatly bound. Did anyone even care about this character to begin with? It's perfectly understandable that Jamie would try to move on with his life after Claire left and so I fail to understand why he wouldn't just tell her about his marriage, rather than have Claire, find out by having Laoghaire burst into their bedroom. Did this story really need more angst and drama? From the beginning, Laoghaire didn't hold a candle to Claire but this had to be reasserted for some reason. Then we have Geillies, who we were lead to believe had died. Her reappearance comes down to a lack of imagination. Did Gabaldon think that readers simply couldn't handle a new character as evil. Of course, the once bonnie Geillies is now hideously fat and unhealthy, with her size increasing in direct proportion to the evil that she does. Gabaldon is none to subtle with her fat hatred here.

We also know that Geillies is evil because she is a rapist. For some reason, Gabaldon seems absolutely fascinated with rape and so far, each of the books in the series has either had a rape scene or very much implied it. In this case, Geillies has young boys kidnapped and then she drugs them and rapes them. We do have a scene in which Young Ian talks about how his body reacted to the sexual stimulation, though he didn't want to be touched. It was good to have Jamie empathising with Ian, having been through this situation himself but it still begs the question of why Gabaldon felt the need to include the rape in the first place? It's as though a story for her isn't complete unless it includes some gratuitous rape.

Geillies isn't even the only rapist in this novel. Yes, that's right, our favourite red headed Scotsman after being blackmailed into taking Geneva's virginity, ends up raping her.
Stop it! It’s too big! Take it out!” Panicked, Geneva thrashed beneath him. Pressed beneath his chest, her breasts wobbled and rubbed, so that his own nipples leapt erect in pinpoints of abrupt sensation.

Her struggles were accomplishing by force what he had tried to do with gentleness. Half-dazed, he fought to keep her under him, while groping madly for something to say to calm her.

“But—” he said.

“Stop it!”

“I—”

“Take it out!” she screamed.

He clapped one hand over her mouth and said the only coherent thing he could think of.
“No,” he said definitely, and shoved.

What might have been a scream emerged through his fingers as a strangled “Eep!” Geneva’s eyes were huge and round, but dry.

In for a penny, in for a pound. The saying drifted absurdly through his head, leaving nothing in its wake but a jumble of incoherent alarms and a marked feeling of terrible urgency down beween them. There was precisely one thing he was capable of doing at this point, and he did it, his body ruthlessly usurping control as it moved into the rhythm of its inexorable pagan joy.

It took no more than a few thrusts before the wave came down upon him, churning down the length of his spine and erupting like a breaker striking rocks, sweeping away the last shreds of conscious thought that clung, barnacle-like, to the remnants of his mind.

He came to himself a moment later, lying on his side with the sound of his own heartbeat loud and slow in his ears. He cracked one eyelid, and saw the shimmer of pink skin in lamplight. He must see if he'd hurt her much, but God, not just this minute. He shut his eye again and merely breathed. (page 205)
Isn't Jamie just the most amazing romantic lead? It seems that if a woman allows, or even encourages, a man to get to a certain point that her right to say no is summarily revoked. After being raped, does Geneva cry, or even try to get away? Nope, she apologises to Jamie believing that the grimace he made during orgasm indicated that he was hurt by raping her. Deciding that her rape wasn't all that bad, Geneva then initiates sex with Jamie. Not only is this another gratuitous rape scene, it's not acknowledged as such because the rapist is Jamie, the perfect Scot.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Mar 10, 2015 |
Much improved from Book 2, we begin with Jamie post-Culloden battle and move on to Claire, in 1968. Claire and Brianna have come to Scotland so Claire can tell her the truth about her real father since Frank is now passed away. We meet Roger, a historian with geneological knowlege and a tie back to Geillis.
Twenty years after leaving Jamie, when she finds out he did not die at Culloden, she cannot stay in the present but must return to him.
Fascinating travels abound between Scotland, France, and the Caribbean.
There is quite a lot going on in the last chapters of the book and it almost felt like the author threw in a bit too much.
An overall enjoyable read of 870 pages. ( )
  aimless22 | Feb 28, 2015 |
This book left me a bit dizzy. There is so much going on that I barely had time to draw breath. I wish that Gabaldon would have focused a bit more on Claire and Jamie after Claire arrives back in time, but we are instead spirited away by a panoply of plot twists. Gabaldon's books are amazing yet frustrating at times. Just when you think that the characters will have a bit of peace and happiness, a disaster of immense proportions unfolds. Or they are recovering from said disaster. However, very small complaints aside, her books are almost perfectly crafted in terms of style, tone, characterization, and verve. I am almost finished with Drums of Autumn, and can't wait to read the rest of the series. ( )
  silva_44 | Jan 9, 2015 |
This is the best series I have ever read. It keeps the pages turning and never leaves you hanging!
  yankeelove | Dec 28, 2014 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Many a Highland chieftain fought,
Many a gallant man did fall.
Death itself was dearly bought,
All for Scotland's King and law.
- "Will Ye No Come Back Again"
To my children, Laura Juliet, Samuel Gordon, and Jennifer Rose, Who gave me the heart, the blood, and the bones of this book.
Prologue

When I was small, I never wanted to step in puddles.

In this rich, vibrant tale, Diana Gabaldon continues the story of Claire Randall and Jamie Fraser that began with the now-classic novel Outlander and continued in Dragonfly in Amber. Sweeping us from the battlefields of eighteenth-century Scotland to the exotic West Indies, Diana Gabaldon weaves magic once again in an exhilarating and utterly unforgettable novel....

Their love affair happened long ago by whatever measurement Claire Randall took. Two decades before, she had traveled back in time and into the arms of a gallant eighteenth-century Scot named Jamie Fraser. Then she returned to her own century to bear his child, believing him dead in the tragic battle of Culloden. Yet his memory has never lessened its hold on her ... and her body still cries out for him in her dreams.

When she discovers that Jamie may have survived, Claire must choose her destiny. And as time and space come full circle, she must find the courage to face what awaits her ... the deadly intrigues raging in a divided Scotland ... and the daring voyage into the dark unknown that lies beyond the standing stones.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:41 -0400)

Two decades later, for a second time, Claire Randall travels back to eighteenth-century Scotland to be reunited with Jamie, the man she cannot forget.Time-travelling Claire Randall returns to her own time, pregnant and weary, and resumes her life, but her memories of her eighteenth-century Scottish lover Jamie Fraser will not die, leading her to a desperate decision to return to him.… (more)

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,787,462 books! | Top bar: Always visible