Voyager by Diana Gabaldon

Voyager (1994)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (3)

English (91)  German (2)  All languages (93)
Much improved from Book 2, we begin with Jamie post-Culloden battle and move on to Claire, in 1968. Claire and Brianna have come to Scotland so Claire can tell her the truth about her real father since Frank is now passed away. We meet Roger, a historian with geneological knowlege and a tie back to Geillis.
Twenty years after leaving Jamie, when she finds out he did not die at Culloden, she cannot stay in the present but must return to him.
Fascinating travels abound between Scotland, France, and the Caribbean.
There is quite a lot going on in the last chapters of the book and it almost felt like the author threw in a bit too much.
An overall enjoyable read of 870 pages. ( )
  aimless22 | Feb 28, 2015 |
This book left me a bit dizzy. There is so much going on that I barely had time to draw breath. I wish that Gabaldon would have focused a bit more on Claire and Jamie after Claire arrives back in time, but we are instead spirited away by a panoply of plot twists. Gabaldon's books are amazing yet frustrating at times. Just when you think that the characters will have a bit of peace and happiness, a disaster of immense proportions unfolds. Or they are recovering from said disaster. However, very small complaints aside, her books are almost perfectly crafted in terms of style, tone, characterization, and verve. I am almost finished with Drums of Autumn, and can't wait to read the rest of the series. ( )
  silva_44 | Jan 9, 2015 |
This is the best series I have ever read. It keeps the pages turning and never leaves you hanging!
  yankeelove | Dec 28, 2014 |
Ok this book was easy to read at first. there are chapters that seem to be added only to make this book longer. Over a 1000 pages, really this book could have been about 500 pages and still got the same affect. However I hate putting books down unfinished so I kept reading. The last 200 pages was the hardest for me. Just didn't need to be in the book. ( )
  Calisandria | Dec 17, 2014 |
These books are really quite addictive. They need better editing, IMO, but they are fun stories. ( )
  hoosgracie | Nov 21, 2014 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Many a Highland chieftain fought,
Many a gallant man did fall.
Death itself was dearly bought,
All for Scotland's King and law.
- "Will Ye No Come Back Again"
To my children, Laura Juliet, Samuel Gordon, and Jennifer Rose, Who gave me the heart, the blood, and the bones of this book.
Prologue

When I was small, I never wanted to step in puddles.

In this rich, vibrant tale, Diana Gabaldon continues the story of Claire Randall and Jamie Fraser that began with the now-classic novel Outlander and continued in Dragonfly in Amber. Sweeping us from the battlefields of eighteenth-century Scotland to the exotic West Indies, Diana Gabaldon weaves magic once again in an exhilarating and utterly unforgettable novel....

Their love affair happened long ago by whatever measurement Claire Randall took. Two decades before, she had traveled back in time and into the arms of a gallant eighteenth-century Scot named Jamie Fraser. Then she returned to her own century to bear his child, believing him dead in the tragic battle of Culloden. Yet his memory has never lessened its hold on her ... and her body still cries out for him in her dreams.

When she discovers that Jamie may have survived, Claire must choose her destiny. And as time and space come full circle, she must find the courage to face what awaits her ... the deadly intrigues raging in a divided Scotland ... and the daring voyage into the dark unknown that lies beyond the standing stones.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:41 -0400)

Two decades later, for a second time, Claire Randall travels back to eighteenth-century Scotland to be reunited with Jamie, the man she cannot forget.Time-travelling Claire Randall returns to her own time, pregnant and weary, and resumes her life, but her memories of her eighteenth-century Scottish lover Jamie Fraser will not die, leading her to a desperate decision to return to him.… (more)

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,699,918 books! | Top bar: Always visible