Voyager by Diana Gabaldon

Voyager (1994)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (3)

English (97)  German (2)  All languages (99)
starting to become hooked on these books. I was afraid that the now adult daughter would spoiling the book, but it actually adds a great twist to the story. Waiting eagerly for book 4 to read.... ( )
  kakadoo202 | Nov 10, 2015 |
First of all, I must admit Diana Gabaldon has surprised me more than once so far. Lots of unexpected twists and reversals of fortune and thousands of pages! Her creativity and craft are astonishing.

Furthermore, my storage of visual aids, though incomplete at this point of my reading (the TV series is way back in the narration respect to Gabaldon's printed production), has been of remarkable support in this very long journey and has make it more pleasant, if possible (see picture below).

Not long ago I posted my review of book 2, Dragonfly in Amber, which I rated four stars out of five. But for book 3, Voyager, I need a full score: five stars! I've loved reading it more than the previous one and so far it is my best favourite.

Read my complete review at http://flyhigh-by-learnonline.blogspot.it/2015/01/the-outlander-saga-by-diana-ga... ( )
  learnonline | Aug 28, 2015 |
One thing I've come to learn, is that even though these books, topping out around 1000 pages, seem like they'd be completely overwhelming to read, they're not. Gabaldon manages to interweave a bit of the Claire's present (1968) and her search for Jamie via historical documents with the help of Roger Wakefield. Jail tends to be one of the safest places for Jamie. As the de facto leader of the Scots in prison, he has somewhat befriended the new leader of Ardsmuir, Major John Grey. After one of their meals, Jamie brings up Samuel Richaradson's Pamela, a huge novel, if there ever was one. In discussion with Grey, he says, "I think it is true that some stories simply require a greater space in which to be told." Events play out as imagined--Scotland, England, France, islands, pirates--I admit to being a little surprised at where we were by the end. ( )
  ethel55 | Aug 22, 2015 |
Twenty years after leaving Jamie Fraser behind to a likely death at Culloden, Claire is astounded to discover that Jamie survived the battle. As she works with her daughter, Brianna, and Roger Wakefield to trace what happened to the husband she left two hundred years in the past, Claire must grapple with the decision of whether to once again travel through the stones to be with him. And after she makes that choice, coming to grips with the people they've become and the choices they must make will strain Jamie and Claire's relationship in whole new ways.

I enjoyed every second of this third entry in the Outlander series. Going into it prepared for the likelihood of not getting any Jamie for at least 100 pages, I was pleased as punch to get entire sections from Jamie's perspective. Having separated Claire and Jamie for over twenty years, Gabaldon crafts a reunion that was so satisfying and an epic journey so enthralling that this book has become my favourite in the series thus far. With several different locations and two time periods, the historical fiction element of the novels remain extremely well-done. The new characters are introduced well and I became as fond of them as I with supporting characters from the previous two books who appeared. I'm eagerly looking forward to cracking open the next book in the series and seeing what Jamie and Claire get up to next. ( )
  MickyFine | Jul 25, 2015 |
The more I read this series, the more I become convinced of Diana Gabaldon's ingeniousness. The story's detailed and intelligent storytelling, evil scheming, dirty politics and crazy conspiracy theories do not fall far behind from George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire in its aptitude of brilliance.

Jamie and Claire are the most interesting and lovable characters - Claire with her incredible courage and ability to get herself into trouble only by breathing, and Jamie - with his huge heart, loyalty and a darkness that doesn't get in the way of things.

I can't get enough of it. ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hrabak, Petrasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Regös, FerencCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuhmacher, Sonjasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steckhan, Barbarasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Many a Highland chieftain fought,
Many a gallant man did fall.
Death itself was dearly bought,
All for Scotland's King and law.
- "Will Ye No Come Back Again"
To my children, Laura Juliet, Samuel Gordon, and Jennifer Rose, Who gave me the heart, the blood, and the bones of this book.

When I was small, I never wanted to step in puddles.
He was dead.

In this rich, vibrant tale, Diana Gabaldon continues the story of Claire Randall and Jamie Fraser that began with the now-classic novel Outlander and continued in Dragonfly in Amber. Sweeping us from the battlefields of eighteenth-century Scotland to the exotic West Indies, Diana Gabaldon weaves magic once again in an exhilarating and utterly unforgettable novel....

Their love affair happened long ago by whatever measurement Claire Randall took. Two decades before, she had traveled back in time and into the arms of a gallant eighteenth-century Scot named Jamie Fraser. Then she returned to her own century to bear his child, believing him dead in the tragic battle of Culloden. Yet his memory has never lessened its hold on her ... and her body still cries out for him in her dreams.

When she discovers that Jamie may have survived, Claire must choose her destiny. And as time and space come full circle, she must find the courage to face what awaits her ... the deadly intrigues raging in a divided Scotland ... and the daring voyage into the dark unknown that lies beyond the standing stones.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:36 -0400)

Two decades later, for a second time, Claire Randall travels back to eighteenth-century Scotland to be reunited with Jamie, the man she cannot forget.Time-travelling Claire Randall returns to her own time, pregnant and weary, and resumes her life, but her memories of her eighteenth-century Scottish lover Jamie Fraser will not die, leading her to a desperate decision to return to him.… (more)

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,874,515 books! | Top bar: Always visible