Voyager by Diana Gabaldon

Voyager (1994)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (3)

English (85)  German (1)  All languages (86)
Probably my favorite of the series other than Outlander itself. Voyager picks up where Dragonfly in Amber left off, with Brianna and Roger having discovered that Jamie survived Culloden. The first third of the book covers the search for what happened to Jamie by Claire, Roger and Brianna in the modern day, and follows Jamie's life after the battle and Claire's after she returns to the present.

I really enjoyed the sections that took place in the present. I loved seeing what Claire had made of her life after her return. It hadn't been easy going back to Frank with her heart still with Jamie. There were times that I really liked Frank, as he stayed with Claire and took care of her and Brianna, but others where he was a real ass. There's a great part where he's talking to her about her drive to become a doctor and his envy of her. There are also a couple interesting twists near the end that lead back to her friend and fellow doctor, Joe Abernathy. Once she finds out that Jamie is still alive, Claire is torn between her love for him and wanting to return, and her love for Brianna and not wanting to leave her behind. It takes Brianna's blessing for her to make the decision.

Also taking place in the present is the developing relationship between Roger and Brianna. Though she seemed a bit oblivious during Dragonfly, by the time Voyager starts we can see the connection. There is a sweetness to the way that Roger watches over Brianna, as if he wants to protect her from anything that could trouble her. While the search is important to the historian in Roger, I feel it is even more vital to him because of its importance to Brianna. I feel that the connection between them made it easier for Claire to leave.

The corresponding sections about Jamie were at times heartbreaking. He neither expected nor wanted to survive Culloden, now that Claire was gone, but having done so his life was not easy. In the years after Culloden he was a hunted man, and spent seven years hiding in a cave near his home. He rarely had a chance to see another person. But his love of his family and his people never changed, and it was that which inspired him to get himself captured (so his family could have the reward money). His time in prison gave a glimpse once again of his natural leadership as he took care of his fellow prisoners. It is at this time that Lord John Grey reappears, this time as the man in charge of the prison. Jamie and Lord John begin a friendship here that will have an effect on Jamie's life for a long time to come. It is John's influence that has Jamie sent to England as an indentured servant, working in the stables. It is an easier life that being in prison, but it also lonelier. An unwilling encounter with the daughter of the house has consequences that finally work in Jamie's favor in one way but is heartbreaking in another. A return to Lallybroch, then a need to leave there sends him to Edinburgh and a whole different kind of life.

I loved the reunion of Jamie and Claire. While she had had time to think about what it would be like, Jamie was taken completely by surprise. I loved his reaction (he fainted) and the tears of joy they both shared. After so long apart, they are somewhat tentative with each other, but their love is still there. It's here that the fun really begins. Claire's reappearance thrills Fergus, surprises Ian as he arrives looking for his son, and creates a hysterically funny bit of confusion with Young Ian as he mistakes Claire for a resident of the brothel. Trouble starts stalking them as Jamie's lives as printer and smuggler draw the attention of the wrong people causing them to have to leave Edinburgh. A return to Lallybroch exposes a secret that Jamie had kept from Claire, one that he really should have told her before they got there. I understood Claire's hurt and fury, and wondered what had happened to Jamie's long ago vow of honesty between them. In order to recover from this will require a dangerous expedition to retrieve some treasure, a trip that goes terribly wrong.

The trouble that seems to be following them creates a need for a trip to the West Indies in order to recover young Ian from pirates. A trip that involves a plague onboard a British ship that commandeers Claire's services as healer, a sheep loving priest, the reuniting of Jamie and Lord John and the revelation of the other secret he had been keeping from Claire, the continuing search for Ian and the horrifying reappearance of Geillis Duncan. There was a chilling exhibition of voodoo that really gave me the creeps. The rescue of Ian and a battle with a hurricane rounded out an adventure that even on a second reading kept me turning the pages far past bedtime on many night. ( )
  scoutmomskf | Sep 13, 2014 |
Book #3 of Outlander It is 45 hours on audio, so quite an investment of time. I listen to it while I am on the road for work, and sometimes while doing paper work. This one took me over a month to finish listening and I am going to continue to the Next one - so that is a pretty good indicator that the series is worth the time invested. - In "Voyager", Claire is still back in time with Jamie, and she learns a great deal of what Jamie was up to in the 20 years since her departure back to her future time to save their unborn child- Briana. Jamie wasn't so straight forward with the details of his encounters. This book has Jamie & Claire heading to sea in search of Jamie's nephew Ian after he was kidnapped. While on their journey they encounter a British naval ship heading for Jamacia that requests medical assistance. It appears that the ship's crew is infected with a highly contagious disease and they are dying off, even the ship's doctor is dead. Of course, Claire volunteers to help and boards the ship only for them to pull anchor and speed away with Claire aboard and Jamie bewildered on the other ship. Lord John Grey makes Claire Malcolm's acquaintance on ship and later as he is the new govenor for Jamaica. The adventures continue, Claire & Jamie getting separated and Jamie always showing up to her rescue. The author threads all of the prior books events & character's so well into the the storyline, that you truly feel a connection to all of them. It really is so well developed, I could swear that Diana Gabaldon is sharing her prior life's story with me. Davina Porter is Perfect as the narrator, she brings each character alive. Definitely a great read! ( )
  booklovers2 | Aug 7, 2014 |
Whew! I kind of struggled with this one. Not that I didn't enjoy it, I was just having trouble getting really into it. I found myself setting it aside in favor of other books part way through and that very rarely happens to me. But, about halfway to three quarters of the way through, I really got invested and just plowed through the rest.

It's funny; for as much as I found myself pushing to finish, I now find that I'm eager to read the next in the series. I'm forcing myself to read something else first, though. Gabaldon's books are so huge and encompassing, that I need to take a break lest I become overwhelmed and indifferent. ( )
  Jenna.Czaplewski | Jul 3, 2014 |
Note: Voyager is the third novel in the "Outlander Series." There will necessarily be spoilers for the first two books in the series.

In the first book, Outlander, Claire, a young married English nurse on vacation in Scotland after World War II accidentally traveled back in time 200 years to 1743. There she took up with Highland Hottie Jamie Fraser, and developed her skills as a healer. Claire got pregnant, and Jamie insisted she go back to the future to save her and her unborn child, thinking he was about to die in battle.

In the second book, Dragonfly in Amber, it is now twenty years later, in 1968, and Claire has brought her 20-year-old daughter, Brianna ("Bree") - the spitting image of Jamie - with her to Scotland. They traveled from Boston, where Claire is a doctor, to find the historian Roger Wakefield. Claire wants to find out Jamie's fate, and Roger discovers Jamie did not in fact die at the Battle of Culloden.

Voyager begins with Jamie on the fields of Culloden in 1745, injured but not dead, possibly saved by the body of his enemy, John Randall, which is lying on top of him. Further improbably, he is rescued from execution afterwards by the brother of Lord John Grey, who, as a boy in the second book, pledged a debt to Jamie. [Gabaldon has a way of bringing back characters encountered along the saga’s way to play new and important roles later on in the story.]

Meanwhile, in 1968, Claire determines she must go back to the past and try to find Jamie. Bree and Roger help research what befell Jamie and where he might be, and in the process, grow more attracted to one another. In alternating chapters we return to the 18th Century to learn about Jamie's activities over the intervening years.

Roger thinks he has found evidence that Jamie was working as a printer in Edinburgh in the time it would be if Claire went back, so Claire bids farewell to Roger and Bree and makes the dangerous trip through the stones at Craigh na Dun to return to 1766. Claire walks into Jamie’s printshop, and although she is now 48, she is of course as beautiful as ever, and Jamie declares he has always loved her. So her life with Jamie begins again, complete with various instances of Jamie “mastering” Claire and revisiting his favorite places on her body (which we, the readers, have become acquainted with quite thoroughly).

All is not totally well, however: Claire learns some of the unexpected things Jamie was up to while she was gone (and has the gall to be mad over it, even though she was for all intensive purposes gone forever). Additionally, Jamie's life is full of upheaval as usual. The two end up chasing nephew Ian - who has been captured by pirates, to the Caribbean. They find Ian just as he is about to be made a human sacrifice by an unexpected old acquaintance; get waylaid by a tropical hurricane; and get blown all the way to Georgia, where they already know that in under a decade, they will be in the middle of another war yet again, if they survive that long.

Discussion: In spite of the fact that Claire generally behaves more like she is from the late-20th Century than the mid-20th, she acts positively 18th Century when it comes to attitudes toward non-Christians, non-whites, and non-heterosexuals. Although her “best friend” in her (future life) Boston hospital was a black surgeon, Claire even ascribes to him stereotypical looks and behavior that would not be likely in a man who attained his position. But people she meets in the 18th Century fare much worse. The author portrays a Chinese character - whom Claire refers to as "The Chinaman" - with every bad caricature one can imagine. There are also a couple of men who come into the story, each of whom is referred to (contemptuously) by Claire as “The Jew." One is a slime ball, and one is nice enough, but daffy and definitely not "manly." The blacks in the Caribbean are depicted as, and thought of by Claire, in what can only say is a “cringeworthy” manner.

Claire also spends a great deal of time comparing her own assets to other women of the time, being ever so thankful that she has taken care of her teeth and has not succumbed to the worst of all possible fates: gaining weight. (Her last words to Brianna before leaving her presumably forever were “Try not to get fat.” And no, don’t assume because Claire is a doctor that this obsession has anything to do with health, because it is all about looks.)

As for the appeal of this series, I think several factors come into play. One is that Gabaldon is a competent writer. I don’t imagine she will be taught alongside Joyce and Shakespeare, but the quality of the prose in her books doesn’t make you want to throw them across the room.

A second reason is that generation-spanning romantic sagas have great appeal. Many people, including me, like to fantasize about love and family that goes on forever. Her characters are good (well, at least if they are white and Christian and straight) and often quite memorable.

When you add the historical backdrop of Scotland, you win over a large number of American women. (If you doubt the popularly of this niche, check the number of books on Goodreads labeled “Highlander Romance.”)

Evaluation: If you enjoy sagas, sex, and Scotland, this is a series consisting of immensely long books that will occupy you for many days and nights! ( )
  nbmars | Apr 22, 2014 |
More Jamie, and that is never a bad thing. Three down, 4 to go before the new one comes out. ( )
  hobbitprincess | Feb 27, 2014 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Many a Highland chieftain fought,
Many a gallant man did fall.
Death itself was dearly bought,
All for Scotland's King and law.
- "Will Ye No Come Back Again"
To my children, Laura Juliet, Samuel Gordon, and Jennifer Rose, Who gave me the heart, the blood, and the bones of this book.
Prologue

When I was small, I never wanted to step in puddles.

In this rich, vibrant tale, Diana Gabaldon continues the story of Claire Randall and Jamie Fraser that began with the now-classic novel Outlander and continued in Dragonfly in Amber. Sweeping us from the battlefields of eighteenth-century Scotland to the exotic West Indies, Diana Gabaldon weaves magic once again in an exhilarating and utterly unforgettable novel....

Their love affair happened long ago by whatever measurement Claire Randall took. Two decades before, she had traveled back in time and into the arms of a gallant eighteenth-century Scot named Jamie Fraser. Then she returned to her own century to bear his child, believing him dead in the tragic battle of Culloden. Yet his memory has never lessened its hold on her ... and her body still cries out for him in her dreams.

When she discovers that Jamie may have survived, Claire must choose her destiny. And as time and space come full circle, she must find the courage to face what awaits her ... the deadly intrigues raging in a divided Scotland ... and the daring voyage into the dark unknown that lies beyond the standing stones.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:41 -0400)

Two decades later, for a second time, Claire Randall travels back to eighteenth-century Scotland to be reunited with Jamie, the man she cannot forget.Time-travelling Claire Randall returns to her own time, pregnant and weary, and resumes her life, but her memories of her eighteenth-century Scottish lover Jamie Fraser will not die, leading her to a desperate decision to return to him.… (more)

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,960,678 books! | Top bar: Always visible