dismiss

Voyager by Diana Gabaldon

Voyager (1994)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (3)

Set in the intriguing Scotland of 200 years ago, the third installment in the romantic adventures of Jamie and Claire is as compelling as the first. Now that Claire knows Jamie survived the slaughter at Culloden, she is faced with the most difficult decision of her life. She aches to travel back through time again to find the love of her life, but, in order to do that, she must leave their daughter behind. It has been 20 years since she and Jamie were forced to separate. Can she risk everything, maybe even her life, on a gamble that their love has withstood the long, rigorous test of time?… (more)

English (165)  German (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (170)
90 points/100 (4.75/5).

Now that Claire is aware that Jamie might be alive, she has to find out for certain. She has to find him, she has to go to him. Jamie, himself has had a hell of a life without her. When they meet up again, can they even pick up where they left off? And, when they get back together, can they keep out of trouble?

I enjoyed Voyager. It hurt to read, though. At first because I couldn't stand for them to be apart at all. And then, because I was so stressed out of my mind I thought I was going to throw up all book. I actually have to take a break from this series after this book, because I just absolutely cannot take the stress any longer. Gabaldon is able to weave a story that I am capable of utterly falling into so that I am no longer myself, but I am Claire. I am Jamie. I am these two tangling a weave through time. I love these books, but I fear they may be my end. I'm too wrapped up in these characters. I may die before I can get to the end, either by love or by heartbreak.

It is amazing just how much happens in 385k words. Seriously, as I went to start this review, I started going over in my head what all happened in this book. It is a lot. It is seriously a lot. There is so much that happens that it seriously felt like three books length of material (and by word count, it essentially is three books of material). This book ends at such a different place in the story than the book starts at that it is hard to imagine they even still are the same book. I cannot fathom what else is going to happen in this series overall.

I'm still not happy with the time gap between them. It seems unnecessarily cruel. I was in so much pain when they were apart. However, the relief I felt when they got together again was unmatched. Hell, the build-up to their meeting again had me absolutely light-headed with giddiness. I have no idea how Claire managed to not pass out or something. I'm not certain how I was able to manage.

Gabaldon seems to be falling into a trap, though. I'm a bit afraid. The first book was simple enough. Lots of twist and turns, but it didn't strain credulity. The second book, too, was mostly contained. Voyager, however, just kept upping the ante. Again and again and again, every time something happened in the book, it had to be followed up with something even more incredulous, even more exciting, even more grand. The series cannot keep going along that path and succeed, in my mind. It needs to come back down to earth.

This is the first book in the series I would really classify as fantasy. The first two just used time travel as a means of getting a character from the "modern" world into the time of the past. To me, that isn't fantasy, that is just a plot device. Finally, this series is starting to feel like it is fantasy to me, and I am glad for that because I typically really need more in my story than just romance, even if it is historical. In this we see more. We see that there may be more than just traveling through the stones. We see that that may not have been a fluke. We learn more, but only a tiny, tiny bit more.

I really did enjoy reading this book. There are some parts I don't like, but what book has so much in it and has everything in it that one could possibly like. There are pitfalls that accompany their reacquaintance. There were times I didn't think I could bare to read more. Yet, I finished, and I'll continue reading this until the end. Because I am hooked. ( )
  keikii | Jan 23, 2020 |
Four stars instead of five because this book felt like it was an uphill battle to finish. And I couldn’t tell you what the first part of the book was by the time I was at the end. But, still love the characters, which are solidly in my head due to the tv series. ( )
  strangelibrarian | Jan 16, 2020 |
Great read! ( )
  AnnieSeiler | Dec 22, 2019 |
Such a whirlwind this book was. I was excited for many things that happened and anxious for others. And I'm glad that there was more humor in the characters and situations than was in the last book, or last half of the last book.
It was definitely a wild ride.
Remind me to never travel to the Caribbean with Jamie and Claire, so much can go wrong! ( )
  untitled841 | Jul 24, 2019 |
Clare discovers that Jamie didn't die and returns to him. We learn of Jamie's injuries and imprisonment and Clare's birthing and raising Brianna with Frank. Clare is now a doctor.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |

Schumacher, KarlPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steckhan, Barbarasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Studio MCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Many a Highland chieftain fought,
Many a gallant man did fall.
Death itself was dearly bought,
All for Scotland's King and law.
- "Will Ye No Come Back Again"
To my children, Laura Juliet, Samuel Gordon, and Jennifer Rose, Who gave me the heart, the blood, and the bones of this book.
When I was small, I never wanted to step in puddles. (Prologue)
He was dead.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,237,266 books! | Top bar: Always visible