Voyager by Diana Gabaldon

Voyager (1994)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (3)

English (101)  German (2)  All languages (103)
Scotland to Boston, back to Scotland then to France and the West Indies. Geilis makes an appearance or two. Claire finds out about Jaime's last twenty years without her. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |

Read this review on my blog

20 years have passed and Jamie's world as a 40-something older man is a very strange place indeed.

I found the first half of the book quite interesting. The reader learns a bit of what happened to Jamie in those years he and Claire spent apart, the reader is also shown flashbacks of a bit of what Claire went through as well. I found the entire situation at the end of Dragonfly in Amber and the beginning of Voyager just to be tragic. Being forced to spend 20 significant years away from the love of your life must have been just devastating. I have no idea how they both coped.

Claire does eventually go back through the stones to find Jamie once again and nothing was what I expected. Jamie has become quite a complicated person, gone is the somewhat innocent, younger man who dreamed of a simple, quiet life raising a family as Laird of Lallybroch. I found it heart-wrenching that both of Jamie and Claire's dreams of a life spent together were essentially smashed for 20 years. 20 years is a significant amount of time.

There are plenty of twists and turns and a whole new array of characters - at a certain point in the book I literally rage-quitted it and was so angry! Voyager really did bring out a lot of emotions for me and that was great.

The story spans continents, has pirates and tropical locations - there is a lot of pure adventure in the second half of Voyager. More detail on the time-travel aspect is explained and there is just a whole host of details throughout and a lot of interconnected events.

I really liked the fact that Gabaldon continued this epic love story with both characters in their forties. Its not really often in romance stories that the characters are that age, and it was refreshing.

One glaring negative for me was that Gabaldon really comments negatively on women and their looks in Voyager. The reader is constantly bombarded with the fact that Claire is still hot and hardly aged a day despite being 20 years older. When Claire returns to the 18th Century there are so many comments of other women looking so much older than Claire whilst being younger than Claire. Claire is riddled with insecurity about her looks before she goes back to Jamie - I didn't care for this much. Claire also writes a letter to her daughter Brianna where she urges her not to get fat - because you know, thats just the worst thing she could do in her subsequent life without her mother. I don't think the book benefited in any way from these types of negative messages and comments that objectify women.

All in all, this book was just great - non-stop action and I enjoyed it just as much as the first so it was a 5 star read for me. ( )
  4everfanatical | Feb 5, 2016 |
After finishing the audiobook for the previous book in this series, Dragonfly in Amber, I found it very hard to move on to something else. My mind was still with Jamie. Even though I had planned to take a bit of a break between books, I ended up waiting only a couple of weeks before starting Voyager. I remember falling in love with this book the first time I read it and I am happy to say that I still am in love.

My teenage daughter asked me what this book what about and I really had a hard time answering that question. It is about so many things. Mostly it is about Jamie and Claire. I love the fact that in this book that are no longer as young as they were in earlier books. They are in their 40's and have done a bit more living. I think that their maturity really shows in how they handle everything.

This pair have both lived a remarkable lives up to this point. There were high points in this book and low points but beyond everything their love for each other never waivers. I think that the biggest strength of this book is how clearly the characters' emotions are felt on the page. The scene in the print shop made my heart melt. I have read the book before so I remembered that scene but it still got to me.

This book is long. There are so many different things happening in this book and after one situation is dealt with they move on to the next one. I did start to feel a bit exhausted from this book towards the end. I still enjoyed every moment but I was starting to feel like I might deserve a medal once I reached the end. I do feel like this book has a more natural stopping point than the previous book. I plan to take a bit of a break before jumping into the next audiobook although I don't plan to wait very long.

The narration for this audiobook was nearly perfect. Davina Porter is the perfect choice for this series. She is Clair and Jamie and all the other characters to me at this point. I never tired of listening to her voice and sometimes listened for up to four hours per day. I am amazed by how well this narrator is able to perform so many different voices and accents. I always knew exactly who was speaking and felt myself being pulled into the story. This audiobook is truly a wonderful way to experience this novel.

I do highly recommend this book. This is not a series that you would want to read out of order and I don't think that this book would work at all as a stand-alone novel. Anyone who has enjoyed the first two books in the series will not want to miss this installment. This is the kind of story that fans read and re-read and find enjoyment in it every time. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Feb 4, 2016 |
This is the third in Diana Gabaldon's 'Outlander'series about Jamie, an 18th century Scot, and his passionate marriage to Clare, a 20th century Englishwoman. Strange idea? Yes, but this series doesn't read like fantasy at all, despite the occasional mystical reference. It's grounded in solid and brilliantly written history.

Some old 'friends' from previous books make appearances, some of them rather surprising and, I suppose, reliant somewhat on coincidence - but that didn't worry me over-much. The last few chapters are dramatic - even more so than the rest of the book! - and the ending very satisfying.

My only proviso about this book is that it would be highly confusing to anyone who hasn't read the first two in the series. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
starting to become hooked on these books. I was afraid that the now adult daughter would spoiling the book, but it actually adds a great twist to the story. Waiting eagerly for book 4 to read.... ( )
  kakadoo202 | Nov 10, 2015 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hrabak, Petrasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Regös, FerencCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuhmacher, Sonjasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steckhan, Barbarasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Many a Highland chieftain fought,
Many a gallant man did fall.
Death itself was dearly bought,
All for Scotland's King and law.
- "Will Ye No Come Back Again"
To my children, Laura Juliet, Samuel Gordon, and Jennifer Rose, Who gave me the heart, the blood, and the bones of this book.
When I was small, I never wanted to step in puddles. (Prologue)
He was dead.

In this rich, vibrant tale, Diana Gabaldon continues the story of Claire Randall and Jamie Fraser that began with the now-classic novel Outlander and continued in Dragonfly in Amber. Sweeping us from the battlefields of eighteenth-century Scotland to the exotic West Indies, Diana Gabaldon weaves magic once again in an exhilarating and utterly unforgettable novel....

Their love affair happened long ago by whatever measurement Claire Randall took. Two decades before, she had traveled back in time and into the arms of a gallant eighteenth-century Scot named Jamie Fraser. Then she returned to her own century to bear his child, believing him dead in the tragic battle of Culloden. Yet his memory has never lessened its hold on her ... and her body still cries out for him in her dreams.

When she discovers that Jamie may have survived, Claire must choose her destiny. And as time and space come full circle, she must find the courage to face what awaits her ... the deadly intrigues raging in a divided Scotland ... and the daring voyage into the dark unknown that lies beyond the standing stones.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:36 -0400)

Two decades later, for a second time, Claire Randall travels back to eighteenth-century Scotland to be reunited with Jamie, the man she cannot forget.Time-travelling Claire Randall returns to her own time, pregnant and weary, and resumes her life, but her memories of her eighteenth-century Scottish lover Jamie Fraser will not die, leading her to a desperate decision to return to him.… (more)

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,082,599 books! | Top bar: Always visible