Voyager by Diana Gabaldon

Voyager (1994)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (3)

Recently added byarena55, c_neva, JojoJenn, Calisandria, private library, marybrett, Pages_Aplenty, Grumpasaurus

English (88)  German (1)  All languages (89)
Ok this book was easy to read at first. there are chapters that seem to be added only to make this book longer. Over a 1000 pages, really this book could have been about 500 pages and still got the same affect. However I hate putting books down unfinished so I kept reading. The last 200 pages was the hardest for me. Just didn't need to be in the book. ( )
  Calisandria | Dec 17, 2014 |
These books are really quite addictive. They need better editing, IMO, but they are fun stories. ( )
  hoosgracie | Nov 21, 2014 |
I enjoyed this immensely, and Outlander continues to be my favorite go-to series for car-bound audiobooks. Everything I loved about the other books was in here. Lots of new places to see, complicated money-making schemes, and lots and lots and lots of Jamie and Claire, which is my favorite part. Oddly, I think I enjoyed the Atlantic voyage the most, and long boat voyages are usually the worst part of any book.

Apart from everything I expected, I think my favorite part here was probably Fergus. I can't wait to read more about him as an adult.

Having said that, I think I enjoyed the second novel more. The first had a lot of instances of Jamie telling Claire not to do something extremely ill-advised, then Claire doing it anyway. Everyone gets into trouble, prisons were involved, lots of drama and life-or-death stuff... all because Claire seemed (to me) to lack common sense.

This came back here, most notably when she boards the Dolphin. Why would she do that?! I get that she has a compulsion to heal, but was she not just panicking about the ship stealing much-needed members of their crew? And it led to a huge nest of problems, the way that the problems in the first book did.

Admittedly, Voyager had less bad decisions than Outlander, but seemed to put Jamie and Claire at the mercy of highly improbable circumstance more often. I liked Dragonfly in Amber, because there was more common sense and a more natural progression of events as results of their sensible actions. Here... I don't know, mysterious gold on an island? And pirates just happen to come by right then? And the gold belongs to her? And that ties into the world of the 60s? And they jump overboard on separate ships but wind up together... ugh. I tend to hate stuff like that, but I forgive Voyager, because I like so much else about it. I think it bothers me more here because this is such a good book, and I like the characters a lot more. And admittedly, that was an awesome character, and I was happy to see them back.

I may complain, but I adored this novel, and I can't wait to read Drums of Autumn. I'm somewhat hesitant of the new setting, but I'll probably wind up loving it just as much. ( )
  ConnieJo | Oct 18, 2014 |
Voyager by Diana Gabaldon is the third volume in her Outlander series and continues the saga of Claire and Jamie Fraser. Twenty years has past since Jamie sent Claire back to the future and during this time, Claire has assumed that Jamie died at Culloden. She has spent her time in raising their daughter, training to be a doctor and continuing her lukewarm marriage to Frank. After her husband dies, she and her 18 year old daughter travel to Scotland where she discovers that Jamie survived the battle and there is a possibility that she could find him and be with him again. With her daughters approval, Claire sets her affairs in order and travels through the stones and into the past once again.

She does find Jamie but before they can find lasting peace and happiness, they have many issues to sort through, secrets to reveal and adventures to complete. When Jamie’s nephew Ian is kidnapped and carried off to the Caribbean, Claire and Jamie vow to get him back and set sail after him.

I listened to this book as narrated by Davina Porter and once again was totally captivated by her version. She has the voices down pat, and listening to her read this book, even though it was 43 plus hours long, was a very enjoyable experience. I am slowly working my way back through this series, and with this volume full of smugglers, pirates, prostitutes and a secret treasure, it was a great escape from the everyday. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Oct 10, 2014 |
Probably my favorite of the series other than Outlander itself. Voyager picks up where Dragonfly in Amber left off, with Brianna and Roger having discovered that Jamie survived Culloden. The first third of the book covers the search for what happened to Jamie by Claire, Roger and Brianna in the modern day, and follows Jamie's life after the battle and Claire's after she returns to the present.

I really enjoyed the sections that took place in the present. I loved seeing what Claire had made of her life after her return. It hadn't been easy going back to Frank with her heart still with Jamie. There were times that I really liked Frank, as he stayed with Claire and took care of her and Brianna, but others where he was a real ass. There's a great part where he's talking to her about her drive to become a doctor and his envy of her. There are also a couple interesting twists near the end that lead back to her friend and fellow doctor, Joe Abernathy. Once she finds out that Jamie is still alive, Claire is torn between her love for him and wanting to return, and her love for Brianna and not wanting to leave her behind. It takes Brianna's blessing for her to make the decision.

Also taking place in the present is the developing relationship between Roger and Brianna. Though she seemed a bit oblivious during Dragonfly, by the time Voyager starts we can see the connection. There is a sweetness to the way that Roger watches over Brianna, as if he wants to protect her from anything that could trouble her. While the search is important to the historian in Roger, I feel it is even more vital to him because of its importance to Brianna. I feel that the connection between them made it easier for Claire to leave.

The corresponding sections about Jamie were at times heartbreaking. He neither expected nor wanted to survive Culloden, now that Claire was gone, but having done so his life was not easy. In the years after Culloden he was a hunted man, and spent seven years hiding in a cave near his home. He rarely had a chance to see another person. But his love of his family and his people never changed, and it was that which inspired him to get himself captured (so his family could have the reward money). His time in prison gave a glimpse once again of his natural leadership as he took care of his fellow prisoners. It is at this time that Lord John Grey reappears, this time as the man in charge of the prison. Jamie and Lord John begin a friendship here that will have an effect on Jamie's life for a long time to come. It is John's influence that has Jamie sent to England as an indentured servant, working in the stables. It is an easier life that being in prison, but it also lonelier. An unwilling encounter with the daughter of the house has consequences that finally work in Jamie's favor in one way but is heartbreaking in another. A return to Lallybroch, then a need to leave there sends him to Edinburgh and a whole different kind of life.

I loved the reunion of Jamie and Claire. While she had had time to think about what it would be like, Jamie was taken completely by surprise. I loved his reaction (he fainted) and the tears of joy they both shared. After so long apart, they are somewhat tentative with each other, but their love is still there. It's here that the fun really begins. Claire's reappearance thrills Fergus, surprises Ian as he arrives looking for his son, and creates a hysterically funny bit of confusion with Young Ian as he mistakes Claire for a resident of the brothel. Trouble starts stalking them as Jamie's lives as printer and smuggler draw the attention of the wrong people causing them to have to leave Edinburgh. A return to Lallybroch exposes a secret that Jamie had kept from Claire, one that he really should have told her before they got there. I understood Claire's hurt and fury, and wondered what had happened to Jamie's long ago vow of honesty between them. In order to recover from this will require a dangerous expedition to retrieve some treasure, a trip that goes terribly wrong.

The trouble that seems to be following them creates a need for a trip to the West Indies in order to recover young Ian from pirates. A trip that involves a plague onboard a British ship that commandeers Claire's services as healer, a sheep loving priest, the reuniting of Jamie and Lord John and the revelation of the other secret he had been keeping from Claire, the continuing search for Ian and the horrifying reappearance of Geillis Duncan. There was a chilling exhibition of voodoo that really gave me the creeps. The rescue of Ian and a battle with a hurricane rounded out an adventure that even on a second reading kept me turning the pages far past bedtime on many night. ( )
  scoutmomskf | Sep 13, 2014 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Many a Highland chieftain fought,
Many a gallant man did fall.
Death itself was dearly bought,
All for Scotland's King and law.
- "Will Ye No Come Back Again"
To my children, Laura Juliet, Samuel Gordon, and Jennifer Rose, Who gave me the heart, the blood, and the bones of this book.
Prologue

When I was small, I never wanted to step in puddles.

In this rich, vibrant tale, Diana Gabaldon continues the story of Claire Randall and Jamie Fraser that began with the now-classic novel Outlander and continued in Dragonfly in Amber. Sweeping us from the battlefields of eighteenth-century Scotland to the exotic West Indies, Diana Gabaldon weaves magic once again in an exhilarating and utterly unforgettable novel....

Their love affair happened long ago by whatever measurement Claire Randall took. Two decades before, she had traveled back in time and into the arms of a gallant eighteenth-century Scot named Jamie Fraser. Then she returned to her own century to bear his child, believing him dead in the tragic battle of Culloden. Yet his memory has never lessened its hold on her ... and her body still cries out for him in her dreams.

When she discovers that Jamie may have survived, Claire must choose her destiny. And as time and space come full circle, she must find the courage to face what awaits her ... the deadly intrigues raging in a divided Scotland ... and the daring voyage into the dark unknown that lies beyond the standing stones.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:41 -0400)

Two decades later, for a second time, Claire Randall travels back to eighteenth-century Scotland to be reunited with Jamie, the man she cannot forget.Time-travelling Claire Randall returns to her own time, pregnant and weary, and resumes her life, but her memories of her eighteenth-century Scottish lover Jamie Fraser will not die, leading her to a desperate decision to return to him.… (more)

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,363,226 books! | Top bar: Always visible