Voyager by Diana Gabaldon

Voyager (original 1994; edition 2001)

by Diana Gabaldon

9,120165521 (4.3)265
Member:fizzingwhizbee
Title:Voyager
Authors:Diana Gabaldon
Info:Delta (2001), Paperback, 880 pages
Tags:Outlander series

Voyager by Diana Gabaldon (1994)

English (161)  German (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (165)
Their passionate encounter happened long ago by whatever measurement Claire Randall took. Two decades before, she had traveled back in time and into the arms of a gallant eighteenth-century Scot named Jamie Fraser. Then she returned to her own century to bear his child, believing him dead in the tragic battle of Culloden. Yet his memory has never lessened its hold on her... and her body still cries out for him in her dreams.

Then Claire discovers that Jamie survived. Torn between returning to him and staying with their daughter in her own era, Claire must choose her destiny. And as time and space come full circle, she must find the courage to face the passion and pain awaiting her...the deadly intrigues raging in a divided Scotland... and the daring voyage into the dark unknown that can reunite or forever doom her timeless love.

Review: I really loved this book! I can't get enough of Jaime and Claire! Can't wait to read the next book! ( )
  CurlUpAndRead | Jun 10, 2019 |
Reread for a catchup of the show and the books. I'd forgotten how long these novels were! I have to say... there are quite a few problematic pieces to this book that I hadn't noticed the first time around.

Additionally, having watched the show, everything was in the actor's voices. Which was not unpleasant at all. ( )
  ladypembroke | May 17, 2019 |
Love it, the adventure of Claire and Jaime continues. It´s full of very moving moments. But also it´s a fantastic way of getting in touch of different historic facts. Enjoyable. ( )
  elicarra | Mar 7, 2019 |
I am a sucker for good historical fiction. From the first time I opened Outlander, I have loved these books. I have to admit I have not yet watched any of the television series. Recently I have found myself with a great deal of time traveling in my car for work. I decided to listen to audiobooks for a change from the radio. When I found that my library has the Outlander series available as audiobooks to borrow I did not hesitate to give them a try. I am so very glad that I have. Davina Porter’s voice perfectly embodies how I envisioned Claire would sound. Her soft English accent is a soothing, yet captivating view through which to encounter these novels anew. And, it is as though I am experiencing them anew. There have been more scenes than I can count where hearing it through Claire’s voice gave me a different perspective entirely than when I read the print version.

Voyager, aside from being part of a wonderful series, is a wonderful tale of adventure, loss, love, and even of the supernatural by itself. It starts with Claire choosing love, and as part of that choice deciding to leave everything behind for the dangerous journey through time, back to Jamie, the One. As in the past novels, Claire continues to be a person “to whom things just happen.” In other words, Jamie is continually having to rescue her from perilous situations which will having you swooning for this red-headed hero. This novel, more than the others, has an element of supernaturalism which boarders on the bizarre, but does not detract from the overall effectiveness and entertainment of the novel.

I would be surprised if you find this to be a book you can put down, or pause easily. ( )
  Corrine333 | Jan 28, 2019 |
Voyager is the 3rd book in the Outlander series. Much like the 2nd book, A Dragonfly in Amber, this book takes a long time to get going. It isn't until part 5 or 6 that the book really finds its form. But unlike Dragonfly, which struggles to maintain its momentum, Voyager drives forward full bore and doesn't look back.

(SPOILER ALERT)

Once Clair returns to the past and reunites with Jamie, the story is all fire and fury. Moving along at such a clip so as to leave you dizzy at times, and occasionally going back to reread little parts here and there.

The series has officially entered the cartoonish fantasy world with the series of unfortunate and unbelievable events that befall our main characters, and it occasionally makes a comic book villain out of the antagonists. There are also some very gaudy sex scenes that detract more from the story than they add to it.

That being said, by this point in the series you are invested and it is easy enough to look past some of those faults.

The last half of this book is the best writing thus far in the series, thought the first half makes you pay for it with achingly slow story development.

But in the end, this book sets the stage nicely for the next installment and does a much better job of leaving your eager to continue than the previous 2 books did. ( )
  McCarthys | Sep 18, 2018 |

Schumacher, KarlPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steckhan, Barbarasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Studio MCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Many a Highland chieftain fought,
Many a gallant man did fall.
Death itself was dearly bought,
All for Scotland's King and law.
- "Will Ye No Come Back Again"
To my children, Laura Juliet, Samuel Gordon, and Jennifer Rose, Who gave me the heart, the blood, and the bones of this book.
When I was small, I never wanted to step in puddles. (Prologue)
He was dead.

In this rich, vibrant tale, Diana Gabaldon continues the story of Claire Randall and Jamie Fraser that began with the now-classic novel Outlander and continued in Dragonfly in Amber. Sweeping us from the battlefields of eighteenth-century Scotland to the exotic West Indies, Diana Gabaldon weaves magic once again in an exhilarating and utterly unforgettable novel....

Their love affair happened long ago by whatever measurement Claire Randall took. Two decades before, she had traveled back in time and into the arms of a gallant eighteenth-century Scot named Jamie Fraser. Then she returned to her own century to bear his child, believing him dead in the tragic battle of Culloden. Yet his memory has never lessened its hold on her ... and her body still cries out for him in her dreams.

When she discovers that Jamie may have survived, Claire must choose her destiny. And as time and space come full circle, she must find the courage to face what awaits her ... the deadly intrigues raging in a divided Scotland ... and the daring voyage into the dark unknown that lies beyond the standing stones.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:36 -0400)

Time-travelling Claire Randall returns to her own time, pregnant and weary, and resumes her life, but her memories of her eighteenth-century Scottish lover Jamie Fraser will not die, leading her to a desperate decision to return to him.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,565,148 books! | Top bar: Always visible