Vanishing Point by Lisa Harris

Vanishing Point (2017)

by Lisa Harris

I have long been a fan of Lisa Harris’ novels. She always delivers action-packed suspense with just the right dose of romance thrown in. Her Nikki Boyd Files series has been a great-reading ride, and I have been anxiously awaiting the finale, Vanishing Point. This novel is somewhat of a departure from the series, but in a good way. I really enjoyed this book and give it a highly recommended rating.

Vanishing Point follows the Angel Abductor serial murder cases over a thirteen year period. Teenage girls in the Nashville area, including Nikki Boyd’s sister, are kidnapped and murdered by an illusive perpetrator. Garrett Addison, an investigator with the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation and FBI agent Jordan Lambert are assigned to the case midway through the investigation. Throughout the years the case takes its toll on them as they work feverishly to thwart an unseen and unknown assailant.

Vanishing Point is set up unlike the other books in the series. First of all, Nikki Boyd is a supporting character, but that’s okay because the story focuses on the Angel Abductor case that is a subplot in the earlier books in the series. This novel has two main story lines — the Angel Abductor investigation and the relationship between main characters Garrett and Jordan. Harris does an excellent job of illustrating how personal lives are influenced by the demands of family and career, and in this instance, the overwhelming emotional toll of the serial killer case. The pace is also slower than the previous novels as it covers a 13 year span. But as with her previous novels, excellent plotting, complex character development, and a thoughtful spiritual message I have come to love from Harris are present. Although unlike the first 3 books, I think Vanishing Point is my favorite. Both characters wrestle with past regrets and the question of where God is in the midst of heartbreak. Towards the end of the book, Garrett reflects on his struggle —

Over the past decade, Garrett had come to realize more and more that his faith couldn’t rely on what was happening around him, or whether or not he understood how God worked. His faith had to rely on God himself — who never changed — even when he didn’t understand what God was doing. (p. 276)

There is a message of hope in the midst of the bleakest of days.

Vanishing Point can be read as a standalone novel, but I recommend you begin with Vendetta. All four books in the series are available for your binge-reading enjoyment during the holidays — just saying! 😉

Highly Recommended.

(Thanks to the author for a complimentary copy. All opinions expressed are mine alone.) ( )
  vintagebeckie | Dec 20, 2017 |
Vanishing Point is book four in the Nikki Boyd Files series. I have thoroughly enjoyed this series and Vanishing Point yanked me into the story right from the first page.
Six missing girls over the course of a decade have left Jordan Lambert and Garrett Addison struggling to find the killer. More than that, they’ve also had to face their own inadequacies in solving the case.
I think one of the best parts of the book was simply that it took time. Years for the relationship to develop between Jordan and Garrett. It wasn’t rushed, and it was very realistic though at times, I hoped it would happen faster.
The who-done-it was well veiled in this story and had me flipping pages long into the night. I would absolutely recommend any of Lisa Harris’ books and Vanishing Point is a great start. ( )
  ShareeKim | Dec 8, 2017 |
This is a fantastic edition to the Nikki Boyd Files series. This takes us back in time to learn more about how Nikki’s sister died and why Nikki became a cop. This shows the policeman and the FBI agent that work on the serial killer case that includes Nikki’s sister. I love the romance and the suspense. There is a great balance of both. I did not want to put the book down. I received a copy of this book from the author and Revell for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will. ( )
  Virginia51 | Dec 4, 2017 |
I'd read a previous Nikki Boyd book from the Nikki Boyd Files and enjoyed it, so I sought out this book (probably the highest compliment I could give)--I'm still not clear if this is supposed to be a Nikki Boyd Files book--the cover says "Nikki Boyd Novel" and lists others in the series as "Nikki Boyd Files" but some online sites list this book as #4 in the Nikki Boyd Files series.

The reason for my confusion is that as I started this book, I couldn't remember any of the characters or how they related to Nikki. Nikki shows up in the second section of the book as an ancillary character, though this storyline does reveal how she ended up where she does. Nikki plays more of an active role in the final section and epilogue. Once I realized how Nikki fit into this book, I enjoyed it much more.

One of the questions the two main characters of this book (Jordan and Garrett) struggle with is "Where is God when bad things happen?" Jordan does make a stab at providing an answer to this toward the end of the book, by reminding us that we live in a fallen world from which God has chosen to redeem us eternally (after death) rather than piecemeal by fixing everything that goes wrong for us in this world.

I do think it realistically show that it can take time to solve a case (vs. the 1 or 2 hour solutions we expect from TV.)

I do plan to seek out more books by this author--again, the highest compliment I feel I can give. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Dec 2, 2017 |
Review One of the most terrifying Christian romantic suspense bppks I've read, Lisa Harris's Vanishing Point left me shaky, thoughtful and wondering. Shaky because the subject matter was so dark at times. Thoughtful because of Jordan's burning question..."Where was God when these girls were abducted and terrified?" How do you answer that?! And wondering because of the trajectory of Jordan and Garrett's romance.

One quote was especially meaningful to me. I think I might memorize it.
Garrett says,"But I'm realizing sometimes you can't fix people or relationships. Sometimes all you can fix is yourself.You have to forgive them, love them, and then move on."

I highly recommend this book if you like very intense Christian romantic suspense. Part of a series, this book stood alone well.
I gratefully received a complimentary copy from the publisher, which in no way affected my opinions which are strictly my own.
  Becky_L | Nov 28, 2017 |
To those who have loved and lost. May you find peace in Him.
Special Agent Garrett Addison snapped a photo of the freshly dug grave located inside the yellow roped-off crime scene.
We ask that question [where is God?] as if we're surprised when evil surfaces. But in reality, we've forgotten we live in a fallen world. We've forgotten that God gives us the freedom to make choices. And while he gives us free weill, that freedom doesn't mean he stands over us and fixes everything. There are consequences that too often hit innocent people. . . . And what I'm realizing is that when he doesn't intervene, it doesn't mean he isn't there. I think it means just the opposite. He decided not to just sweep down and fix our problems every time something goes wrong. Instead he chose to redeem us eternally by sending his Son.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Lisa Harris's book Vanishing Point is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,422,068 books! | Top bar: Always visible